It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Source Of Morality: Euthyphro's Dilemma

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
I think morality and codes of conduct are best measured by thier results. If the world is chaotic and painful, and we obey a certain set of pre-defined moralistic constructs, then we can assume that our morality is false, and thus, either there is no God, or, that we obtained our morality from a false one.

Good point, though the real question is "are we really obeying said set of values?" Everyone talks about being unselfish and caring, but are those really the prevailing behaviours in our society? It seems like most people are pretty keen on themselves, less so about people they personally know, and wholly indifferent about everyone else. That's no moral teaching that I'm aware of.

For example, Christ taught a simple, but firm, moral code -- love God, love everyone else -- that should give rise to a pretty fair, stable and equal society. But to the best of my knowledge, no society does, or ever really has, truly adhere to that. Rare individuals, yes, but groups, particularly groups that are in power? No.

A moral code cannot be measured if it is not implemented and adhered to.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by spy66
Adam and Eve, was for the first time in their life faced with a moral choice. "Who to believe in"

Adam and Eve were also subject to and operating on Divine Command. They were told what to do and what not to do arbitrarily. Does this make eating the fruit "immoral" and not eating it "moral" simply becaue God decreed it?

I know that this is just casting pearls to swine but,
eating of the fruit was disobedience ,not eating was obedience , the God who made you knows what it best for you, period.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

This video was a real eye opener. Entitled Morality without Religion.

Studies were done using primates and determined that pro-social choice was exhibited by chimpanzees rather than selfishness and it was done naturally.

Science has determined we are equipped with an EVOLVED MORALITY which can further be broken down into 3 significant parts:

1) Empathy and consolation
2) Pro-social tendencies
3) Reciprocity and fairness

Fabulous discussion which blows previously held theories out of the water.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join