Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Lebanon government likely to fall today... Confirmed : will fall today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Nice work Vitchilo, you're like the "planeman" of international conflict.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
I think some of you have to realize your country isn't dependent on oil from the middle east as much as you think. A sibling of mine is in management for TransCanada and from what I hear the US is pretty much dependent on Canadian oil and natural gas now. Within the last 2 years the US has bought into Canadian natural resources immensely and it's all because of the crap going on in the middle east and the instability of knowing whether or not it's oil is accessible.

You do realize the US is in Iraq and Afghanistan and that there is no oil in Lebanon right?
So much for the Israeli Lebanon crap.

We don't need to get involved at all IMO.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by loagun
I think some of you have to realize your country isn't dependent on oil from the middle east as much as you think. A sibling of mine is in management for TransCanada and from what I hear the US is pretty much dependent on Canadian oil and natural gas now. Within the last 2 years the US has bought into Canadian natural resources immensely and it's all because of the crap going on in the middle east and the instability of knowing whether or not it's oil is accessible.

You do realize the US is in Iraq and Afghanistan and that there is no oil in Lebanon right?
So much for the Israeli Lebanon crap.

We don't need to get involved at all IMO.

Wrong. Israel has nukes. They start tossing them around then you are talking a possible disruption of middle east oil. Probably for years. All they have to do is hit the Persian gulf oil ports and a couple of pipeline pumping stations and the oil is off.

It would probably reach great depression levels in the world before it would be all over.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by loagun

The bulk of oil imports into the US come from Canada, VEnezuela and Mexico, followed by Saudi Arabia and some African Countries. This is why when people make the argument the only reason the US is in the middle east is because of Oil I laugh to myself.

The reason the US maintains a presence in the Middle East is in fact for oil security, but for the rest of the world whose economies rely on oil as well.

The moment a viable alternative is found and we can be done with oil, I am curious what will occur in the Middle East.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Vitchilo thank you for your effort..this thread is very well informed by you..kindly accept my friends request

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I didn't say anything about oil being in Lebanon. I was replying to earlier posts referring to the US war in the middle east being on oil.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I laugh to myself that you think a viable alternative would be allowed in light of what has gone on in the last 100 years...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Originally posted by Vitchilo
That's it! Hezbollah + Hussein = 11 ministers have resigned. That means the government is OFFICIALLY OVERTHROWN.

5:32pm Minister of State Adnan Sayyed Hussein announced in a statement his resignation from Cabinet.

Trouble shall now begin.

You people seem almost excited about this..

People might go to war over this act of idiocy, do you understand the meaning of that?

That being said- Hezbollah is not strong enough to beat Israel.. They don't even have fighter jets or tanks, and they'd have a real hard time fighting out of their comfort zone, which is civilian loaded Lebanese cities.

Turkey on the other hand does have an army, but one which will have a hard time actually reaching Israel through land, have the risk of being cut off if they take the naval approach, and might pull it off with jets, only they're facing one of the best air forces in the world, while running low on fuel.

Iran is strong, but it's too far to have a major effect.

Syria's okay, what it lacks in technology it makes up for in numbers, but I doubt they'd get openly involved, as they might find the IDF in Damascus at the end of the war, as they did in previous wars, and that's the last thing they need.

All in all I don't see a reason for Israel to break out the nukes...

But if this turns into a war this is going to turn real ugly, real fast.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by loagun

The moment a viable alternative is found and we can be done with oil, I am curious what will occur in the Middle East.

KABOOOOM

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
An invasion of Lebanon? Seriously mate, I think your going a little bit to far with that one..
Maybe one day, but that won't happen until the west find out there are billions of barrells of oil reserves there...

Man you sure are one "creative" dude
I mean it seems that it doesn't matter WHAT the topic is about, from what I have seen from you...you find a way to take a jab or five at America/The West. Do you ever really have anything of value to contribute to the topics at hand? Or is this really just a venue in order to let out your envy in that you ain't living in a much cooler place than where you currently reside? I mean that is what I get from all of your posts

Have a nice day

NT

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

For Israel, Lebanon is just as valuable as billions of oil barrels.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

The reason the US maintains a presence in the Middle East is in fact for oil security, but for the rest of the world whose economies rely on oil as well.

The US is in the middle-east for several reasons, oil security is in fact one.

You do realize there's a big natural gas deposit that has been found on the Israel-Lebanon border off the coast right? And both claim it's theirs right?

Not to mention, ISRAEL NEEDS WATER and annexing the Litani river would be very interesting for Israel... this might be the first water war in history.

Nice work Vitchilo, you're like the "planeman" of international conflict.

Well thanks for that.

You people seem almost excited about this..

Not really. War is horrible. But as I say in my signature, doom is a hellava drug.

That being said- Hezbollah is not strong enough to beat Israel.. They don't even have fighter jets or tanks, and they'd have a real hard time fighting out of their comfort zone, which is civilian loaded Lebanese cities.

Ever heard of asymmetric warfare? What Hezbollah could do is invade Northern Israel and take a few kibbutz hostage... of course in the end, Hezbollah will always lose.

Unless they are thinking like Saddam did and want Israel to do something very stupid, like nuking someone, so the ``final muslim holy war`` can happen against Israel... or some religious BS like that.

But I think this is unlikely. Hezbollah, like Iran's leadership, like it's power and want to keep it. They are not hell bent on destroying Israel for religious reasons...that is just for appearances, just like the Mullahs.

Turkey on the other hand does have an army, but one which will have a hard time actually reaching Israel through land, have the risk of being cut off if they take the naval approach, and might pull it off with jets, only they're facing one of the best air forces in the world, while running low on fuel.

That is true.

Syria's okay, what it lacks in technology it makes up for in numbers, but I doubt they'd get openly involved, as they might find the IDF in Damascus at the end of the war, as they did in previous wars, and that's the last thing they need.

The worst thing Syria could do is launch Scuds with chemical warheads at Israel. Of course they do that... Damascus might get nuked. Syria, like in the 2006 war, is very likely to stay out of it. Maybe even if Israel starts bombing Damascus.

All in all I don't see a reason for Israel to break out the nukes...

Israel said many times in the past that if they were attacked by chemical or biological weapons they would break out the nukes. Now if that's just a bluff, hopefully we will never know.

For Israel, Lebanon is just as valuable as billions of oil barrels.

Billion of barrels of natural gas and water.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

U.S. State Dept.: Hezbollah is serving the interests of outsiders (Haaretz)

And the STL isn't?

U.S. State Dept.: No immediate cutoff of aid to Lebanese armed forces (Reuters)

Of course. Could need those in case of civil war.

Poll: Netanyahu popularity drops 11% since Carmel fire (Ch. 10)

Hopefully that retard gets the boot.

Clinton: Lebanon crisis is an effort to subvert justice (Reuters)

Clinton talking about justice? You're a great comedian Clinton.

Jordan FM: Refusal of two-state vision exposes Israel as 'apartheid' state (DPA)

That and a government ruled by scum. The population want peace, the government are just nuts, like it's always is around the world.

Sources: Egypt warns Hamas that Israel might launch new Gaza war to curb rocket attacks (Reuters)

Gaza militants say they will halt rocket fire at Israel (Reuters)

+1

Lieberman heads to Greece for first such trip by Israeli FM in more than 15 years (AFP)

Pissing off Turkey.

Iran official: Nuclear talks in Turkey could be 'last chance' for diplomacy (Reuters)

This doesn't smell good.

Sleiman will not yet issue decree on cabinet, says source
Because Hariri is not yet in the country.

Germany worried following Lebanese government collapse
Well duh. Doesn't matter that Hezbollah have the constitutional right to do that.

Ban closely monitoring Lebanese developments
Eh Ban, that's because of the STL that is happening. How come you're doing double standards? You're doing everything you can to get the murderers of Hariri, risks of civil war/war be damned... but you don't care about arresting Israeli, Russians or American war criminals? Ah yes, the UN is controlled.

Moussa says to remain open to dialogue

Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa called on Lebanese political parties to maintain calm and remain open to dialogue to prevent tensions “from which only Lebanon’s enemies will benefit,” the National News Agency (NNA) reported on Wednesday.

“The developments in Lebanon raise fears that the country will once again engage in political tension. This would threaten security as well as stability.”

Indeed.

Turkish FM discusses developments with Hariri
+1

Britain Says Hizbullah Withdrawal 'Extremely Serious'
Well duh.

Clinton Says Hizbullah Move 'Will Not Work'
Clinton being full of it again. It did work and it can work since it's constitutional, but eh, we know you hate constitutional things, after all, you hate the US constitution.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Good maybe they will finally go through with one of there weak broken record threats and all destroy eachother once and for all

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Should we be worried?

While Queensland Australia, Brazil and Sri Lanka are dealing with loss of life & homes; Britain is iced over in a big igloo; the Americans, Spanish, Irish, Greeks, Italians are broke; Americans & Coalition forces fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq; Lebanon's Govt disolves prompting a major crisis for all Lebanese people; Netanyahu is beating the war drums more than ever against Iran.....

God help us all

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

9:28am The presidency accepted the resignation of the government and asked it to stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new cabinet is formed.

Hariri likely to lead caretaker cabinet

Lebanese President Mitchell Sleiman will likely call on Prime Minister Saad Hariri to lead a caretaker cabinet in the wake of the unity government's collapse to allay fears of a civil war, a presidential source says.

+1

Hezbollah reportedly “open to all options”

An unnamed Hezbollah source said that the party is open to all options in dealing with the Lebanese situation after Wednesday’s government collapse, including measures that can be taken in the streets.

In an exclusive interview with NOW Lebanon published on Thursday, the source said that “Hezbollah is ready for all possibilities. Even though the party is keen to foster stability, it will wait for [the March 14 coalition’s] reaction on the ground.”

“The next step that will be taken by the party will depend on what the March 14 coalition will offer and how it will deal with the situation after the government collapse,” the source said.

“There is no turning back….we will not accept forming a new cabinet that will be similar to the last one.”

Now if this source is for real... big trouble awaits.

Abboud: March 8 will not take to the streets

Tourism Minister Fadi Abboud said on Thursday that the March 8 coalition will not take to the streets.

“Resorting to the streets is only the option of the weak,” Abboud told the Voice of Lebanon - 100.5 radio station.

He also said that at the moment, March 8 does not have a candidate other than Prime Minister Saad Hariri to back for the new cabinet that will be formed after the last one collapsed on Wednesday.

The minister also said that “if Hariri has the majority in the parliament, March 8 will abide by the constitution.”

So basically saying they could have done this for nothing... I don't believe they will accept the status quo...since it screws them.

Lebanon press predicts protracted government crisis

Hours after the collapse of Lebanon's unity government, the local press on Thursday predicted an open-ended political crisis but downplayed the chance of renewed violence in the immediate future.

"Lebanon entered a new phase yesterday, an open-ended one characterized by a profound and long-term political and governmental crisis," read the editorial in the daily As-Safir, under the headline "Hariri loses unity government... at Obama's doorstep."

"This month will be the month of crises and unpleasant surprises," wrote columnist Edmond Saab in the daily, which is considered close to Hezbollah.

Indeed. It will be an area to watch. Especially the day they release the indictment.

Zahra: No alternative to Hariri

Lebanese Forces bloc MP Antoine Zahra said on Thursday that there is no alternative to Prime Minister Saad Hariri as the country’s premier.

Zahra told the Free Lebanon radio station that the Lebanese political impasse might be prolonged for more than seven months “because there is no possibility of naming someone other than Hariri as prime minister.”

“We will face weapons with the will to live in a democratic system. I think that there will not be a cabinet in the coming two months.”

“Hariri and his government were always seeking to foster stability in Lebanon…the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) will not [be abolished].”

“Saudi Arabia never asked Hariri to give up on the tribunal.”

Basically no government in Lebanon...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

I hope this does'nt start anything horrible for Israel or the Lebanese. We are all simply just broke, loosing homes, loosing jobs, dealing with our own problems with lose of life and biblical cleanups of biblical floods etc.....

We don't have the stomach for another war and I'm sure as hell not sending my sons in to a rich man's war, or because Netanyahu (like Bush) thinks war is good for the economy, or two sides just can't get along.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

11:04am Patriarch Sfeir said commitment to the Constitution is a duty and Lebanon's stability is most important.

If stability is MOST important... why again the STL still stands?

11:15am Syrian President Bashar Assad telephoned his Lebanese counterpart to discuss the political situation.

Iran says US and Israel “sabotaged” Lebanese government
Well many people think the Mossad might have been behind the killing of Rafik Hariri... so that's why they view the STL as a plot against them...

Sfeir warns against taking to the streets after government collapse
+1

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Oh for pete's sake.....Hariri was asassinated by Hizbollah with help of Syrian intelligence. Thats a fact and it can't be disputed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join