It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The (rascist?) MSM and it's handling of the Pacific Flooding tragedies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I should start out by saying that I am not in any way attempting to take anything away from the people of Australia in their times of need.

As you are probably all aware by now pretty much the whole of Queensland is under water and in a situation that is getting worse. The diaster has so far tragically claimed 22 lives with many missing and as of yet no end in sight for the floods.This has been reported in the MSM across the globe to a varying degree and offers of aid are coming in from various governments across the globe.

However

What is not being reported is the devastation in "third world" countries around the pacific that are also being hit.

Both Sri Lanka and the Phillipines have been hit by serious flooding with many deaths and incredible amounts of people being left homeless.

Sri Lanka has been hit with flooding leaving at least 18 people dead and over 200,000 displaced and in camps accross the island

Sri Lanka

Even though the Sri Lankans have been badly hit and their main agricultural export has all but been destroyed they have had the generosity to help those out in Queensland by donating what little they have left in approximately a quarter of a million cups worth of tea!!

Tea Donation

The Phillipines have also been suffering with a fortnight of extremely heavy rains with more forecasted. A current death toll of 40 and with over a million people affected.

Phillipines

Yet these tragedies along with flooding in Brazil have yet to make any kind of impact in the media, the BBC (probably the best global reporting tool (not so for politics however)) has been one of the only places to have reported these happenings as the rest of the MSM focuses on the tragedy in Australia and the Laughner incident in the US but hey those people over in those little countries don't really contribute to our economy or way of life so their lives aren't as important right?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_Hz

The death toll in the phillipines is now up to 43 and rising as those that are missing are starting to be found

Rising Death Toll

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Yeah theres more to come here in aus. its moving down the east coast flooding everything.
I havent heard about sri lanka and the phillipenes. i might look into that.
Thanks for the news.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JarredAus

Yeah as I have posted in another thread I have friends in both Townsville and Sydney so I'm keeping a close eye on the situation however I think this needs to be put out there as well. La Nina's causing a whole lot of trouble in the pacific!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
good pickup.i noticed that too.
i have only seen a 20sec newsbite here in aust on the 1 country you mentioned.

the financial interests of those controlling the media probably don't extend into those countries.

same as no-one rushes in to stop conflicts in countries with no financial incentives/resources, they just send in the UN to watch

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Exactly, they seem to have a very much "let god sort em out" attitude to developing countries. There have also been floods in South Africa (50 Dead) and Brazil in the last two weeks.

It just goes to show you either get fed what they want you to see or you get fed by what is going to line their pockets.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have found this on the web that is quite interesting:

Disaster Information Program

It has an interactive map and also regular updates on all disasters happening around the world right now. Very interesting stuff!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm not sure this is the best example, as neither of the three situations are being reported to any real degree.

If Australia was getting a decent level more coverage I could understanding the thread. The media are still banging on about the Haiti disaster. And we had ample coverage of the Pakistani flooding.

I agree that they're obviously selective, but I'm not sure race comes into it. Although I can't offer an alternative hypothesis either. Other than there's definately bias of some kind

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hz
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Exactly, they seem to have a very much "let god sort em out" attitude to developing countries. There have also been floods in South Africa (50 Dead) and Brazil in the last two weeks.

It just goes to show you either get fed what they want you to see or you get fed by what is going to line their pockets.

This level of flooding seems excessive. Do we have a timeline comparison to other years? I'm not one to scream conspiracy but there really does appear to be an absolutely massive number of natural disaster and phenomena taking place in recent weeks.

Or maybe I'm just taking more of an interest

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

I'm not sure that's entirely true, as far as I can tell every single news channel / publication in the UK has had significant coverage of the horrendous situation in Australia. I have yet to see any of these outlets (apart from the BBC and even then only after some digging) produce any kind of report on these developing countries.

I understand where you're coming from with mention of Haiti and the floods in Pakistan but to be fair there were no disasters in the "developed" world to report on at that point. Had something like Katrina or this happened at the same time I doubt you would have heard anything then either.

Whether it is intentional or whether it is by assosciation it still appears to have an undertone to it!
edit on 12-1-2011 by Truth_Hz because: coz mi spellig iz rubbsh innit

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_Hz

perhaps to a government, people are commodities. Some property is of more value then others. I don't agree with it. But I don't have to make the difficult decisions, its easy for me to judge. I still do wish we cared for people equally, I only recently found out about floods in Pakistan that killed 2000, and as of jan 2nd the country was still largely underwater, it disappointed me I had not heard anything about it since the initial flood a year ago.

-B.M

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread, I'm in the UK and hadn't heard this reported outside of Australia.
To those who can watch it, Channel 4 news (uk) is very good at reporting/challenging what is going on.

As far as the media's interest in reporting these events, I'd suggest it wasn't racial rather it's what's been touched on already.
That it normally has to have a hidden political or economincal angle to it to make it worth reporting.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The floods in Brazil are finally being reported but only after claiming 270 lives (so far) and displacing about 200k people.

270 dead in Brazil

Again because this is a developing country there will not be the capabilities and infrastructure to rebuild as there will be in Australia.

Still nothing without some serious searching around the Philippines and Sri Lanka

new topics

top topics

join