It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the australia disaster being reported overseas ????

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

I have to say that I've never heard of an embarrassed Aussie

And it's not really about the money to me it's just the fact that nobody seems to care.

I read on a site last night that the 10th victim was a young boy and had that been in the States there would be at least a dozen donations started just for his family.
Pathetic really,

Jr.

edit on 12-1-2011 by LittleIndianJr. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
It has been headline news over here in the UK for the past week or so, Thats probably because its a commonwealth country, and thats why we dont hear about the other floods in other countries.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
OMG I am reading some stuff about Brisbane..is it true...that it might be...just...gone? As in destroyed by flood water?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ALadInsane

Lies. I'm in the UK and it'a making major news.

It's all over the net and the national news.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
your headline news for the last couple of days here in Belgium as well.
we are getting all the info + enough video material to get a realistic feel of how bad the situation over there really is.
I just hope my ausie friends here on ats are somewhere safe.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
It's been the opening item for the news bulletins in the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium. It's also frontpage news in the papers. Australia definitely isn't ignored here in Europe, previous incidents like forest fires or the dust storm late last summer were well covered here. Edit: 2 summers ago. My, how time flies.

Although I will admit anything coming from the US gets more coverage by default. During Katrina every channel had their own people in the US looking for a unique perspective to cover. While now I'm mostly seeing the same shots over and over again (the helicopter shot of the water rushing in, the boat crashing into the bridge and toppling). It's almost like no-one has any correspondents in Australia.
edit on 12/1/11 by Symer because: Curious disturbance in sense of time passing

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Here in Spain it is getting coverage on the National TV News and in all the Spanish Press. Being British I watch Sky News and BBC and ITV from the UK. They are all covering it in great detail. Sky News is leading with live reports from Brisbane even as we speak.

Poor Australia, poor Queensland.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I don't watch tv,but on the internet news site that i read,there are reports daily,about the situation.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Netherlands here:

A video about the animals in trouble in Brisbane. (Dutch)

Animals in trouble, Brisbane

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
It's what gets on my goat the most, while we Aussies wholeheartedly provide whatever aid we can to other nations in need and our media covers it extensively - we don't see the same in return.

It really opens my eyes as to how Australia is seen in the worlds eyes.....

Please don't think that!
To a lot of people I know, Australia is like a fantasy land! People here in the Southern US love everything Australian, it is just far away and no one has the money to go there hardly- it even has made the newspaper a few times in my small town when people have got to go...
The problem is not that Australians are not loved and held in very high regard- the problem is, IMO, that the US media is pretty much dysfunctional. They are living on official press releases, controversial pundit who said, she said, he said, they need to apologize teenage crap, and the beautiful people stars and other easy stories that don't cost much to produce but get the emotional strings pulled. Our media is in worse shape than our bridges. This is just evidence of that to me- when a good friend and ally is in bad trouble and we can't even afford the air time to cover it so people that would like to pray for you guys and help out can....

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Maybe some members in Australia can tell what coverage they had of the floods BEFore it reached Brisbane area.Many Queensland towns have been underwater for weeks and whole towns have been evacuated more than once.Anyone heard of or know where these places are? Theodore,Emerald ,Gayndah ,Chinchilla, Condamine etc these are just a few.Do you see what i am getting at?
edit on 12-1-2011 by 12voltz because: of the media circus

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Ive been watching this quite a bit and its just so tragic that as I'm writing this, the worst of these floods haven't hit its peak yet.

Another interesting bit of information is:

Indonesian Tsunami..Australia gives $1 billion in aid, Pakistan floods..Australia gives $66.5 million in aid. THE WORST floods in Australian history destroys homes, towns, life and businesses...Australian government donates a lazy $1 million

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
i live in nj usa and i havent heard anything about it on the news, i havent even heard people talking about it weird i havent seen or heard about it im about to look it up though

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
In the US Ive seen it on local channels, national channels and mostly on the BBSamerica.

I made mention of this days ago, wondering how some friends of mine were doing in Oz. Very big problem there right now. I seen mention of it again tonight. They've been doing so since it occured.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
In the last few weeks I heard some news about rain in Australia but it didn't seem major- in fact it almost seemed like it was a good thing overall b/c of the drought- the most alarming thing I'd heard was that the temperature down there was really cool for this time of year. ACK
I am all over the news for hours a day. (I admit it- I am a total information junkie.) I watch international news several times a week, usually Russia Today, France 24, or Al Jezeera and that's probably where I saw it.
Crap. I had to think about it. Total junkie I am. Total.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
It's well covered in Belgium - newspapers and television. I guess it's reported all over Europe, for that matter.
About two third of these articles concern the Australian floods.

Good luck out there, be safe.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

Give it a rest will ya and stop posting fear mongering propaganda.

See this post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Accepted, thankyou for the correction.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Maybe some members in Australia can tell what coverage they had of the floods BEFore it reached Brisbane area.Many Queensland towns have been underwater for weeks and whole towns have been evacuated more than once.Anyone heard of or know where these places are? Theodore,Emerald ,Gayndah ,Chinchilla, Condamine etc these are just a few.Do you see what i am getting at?
edit on 12-1-2011 by 12voltz because: of the media circus

i can answer that. it was receiving a lot of coverage. since the whole flash flood nine and seven have had round the clock coverage.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Yes...One of the top news stories this week on US national stations NBC and CBS. It was also the top news story on Yahoo when I first got online this morning. I haven't read all the posts but will try to contact local Red Cross today to find out about donating. My many prayers are with you all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join