It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the australia disaster being reported overseas ????

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
290 people killed in flash floods in Brazil. That is under reported too.

That's terrible

I feel bad for not having known about it - though honestly, I've been too busy keeping up with my own underwater city to keep up with other news the past little while.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by joshysway
Isn't Colombia also seeing the worst winter in history, worst than Australia? And they are getting no attention. Sad.

It's summer in australia ....

southern hemisphere ....

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Very briefly mantioned floods in Australia and Brasil - at the end of news and in the bottom of columns.

This in Bulgaria.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
In Norway you get wide coverage. I saw the footage and can't help wondering if everybody was evacuated to safe areas. The houses were completely covered to their roofs, basically making them uninhabitable. There amounts of money required to repair all damages, are staggering. I guess there still is a financial crisis in Australia too, this will maybe have an impact on the disaster. I hope there will be an inquiry into this that I can read that maps causes and effects from this event fully.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

Its being reported and covered in the media here, news and tv.

This is in Finland and Sweden.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
First word

Croatia

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by nidstav
In Norway you get wide coverage. I saw the footage and can't help wondering if everybody was evacuated to safe areas. The houses were completely covered to their roofs, basically making them uninhabitable. There amounts of money required to repair all damages, are staggering. I guess there still is a financial crisis in Australia too, this will maybe have an impact on the disaster. I hope there will be an inquiry into this that I can read that maps causes and effects from this event fully.

You can get flood maps from the Brisbane City Council website. As for an inquiry - what would we be inquiring? Why we flooded? I think 2 months of solid rain had a fair contribution. It doesn't really matter at the moment anyway. It's getting through the floods and the clean up that we here in QLD will be focussing on for the next few months.

Edit. The financial crisis never really hit us too badly. A few employers used it as a meek excuse to fire people, but that was it. I think we had Asia helping us from the get go.
edit on 13-1-2011 by hypervalentiodine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The national US media wouldn't even spend more than 2 minutes detailing the horrible floods along the Mississippi! ( they were so unreported that i can't recall the most affected state!). So what makes anyone think that a flood halfway around the world would get the coverage it deserves?

Either they don't care, or they don't want us fully aware of whats going on.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I am in Indiana...but I can't tell you much about how often it has been reported. I don't watch any of the local news or newspapers, I get all of my news from the Internet and the NPR radio station, which I guess is somewhat local. The general feeling I get though, is that it is not being reported perhaps as much as you would expect. None the less it is most certainly being reported. NPR has spent some time on it, but in general they are better than the average local news station anyway. Talking to people around town, quite a few didn't know, or didn't have a good Idea of the scale of it. Still I'd say most....at the very least....know what has happened.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb
This is not a post for the sake of just posting.

PLEASE...can people from countries other than australia let us here all know if this absolute tragic disaster is being reported overseas?

How much media coverage is this story of the floods receiving. Please take 2 minutes of your time to tell us what country or state you are from and is it on the main news, just in the papers or you didnt even know about it.

Hi. UK here. I don't usually get the newspaper or watch tv, but I do know it has been on the news for a while now on tv because my husband watches it, so I presume it is also in the papers. I usually check sky news online daily, and have been keeping up with what's going on and have already donated a couple of times...not much, but it's all I can do.

I know it must be awful for you and we hold you in our prayers.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I'm in the U.S. and though it's been reported it certainly is not made to look like that big of a deal. The fact is in the U.S. we don't get much international news on our satellite or cable. That which we do get usually isn't anything from Australia other than perhaps a once a week newscast that is 200 channels higher than we usually watch, so we'd be lucky to catch it.

Something else to consider is usually we only hear about disasters in poorer 3rd world type countries where there's a media campaign to get Americans to help financially or by donating supplies & food. I think the perception is that Australia is big enough and wealthy enough to fend for itself (solve its own problems) therefore either they are not soliciting our help or those who control our media just don't find it important enough to do more than just touch on the subject occasionally.

We have flooding nearly every year where I live (WA) and it's just part of living near rivers on good farmland. Those of us who don't live in the floodplain always wonder why people stay even after they get flooded. While floods are certainly disastrous financially and time consuming to rebuild, for the most part most people know how to deal with them, so we don't consider them life threatening most of the time.

edit on 13-1-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Secularist

Im from New York and have heard lots of coverage of it today, but our country is having its own major story right now, a massacre if youve not heard in Tucson, Arizona. And while the flood is terribly sad I am more concerned about whats going on in my country then in somebody elses.

ok...first thing, im very suprised that someone from NEW YORK of all places after what your city went through would have that attitude. WOW lucky the rest of the world didnt have the same view as you my friend on 9/11. im not going to compare situations.....and trust me i know all about yours. i, myself, watched it all unfold live on t.v here in australia. the women who jumped on him first and stopped him re-loading, we too have witnessed such acts of utter bravery over the last few weeks.

second...my heart absolutely bleeds for those south american countries that are going through the same thing. also those in asia with the same problem. we really are like "brothers in arms" at the moment.

third....what bloody sharks is everyone talking about...lol. i personally havent heard one report of sharks although bull sharks are quite common in the canals of brisbane and the gold coast. all the reports are of snakes, and lots and lots of them in the flood waters.

fourth...i really dont think that we can look to much into this from the whole plate shifting, global change, planet x, haarp - and i love a good conspiracy - but this has been happening here with weather patterns for hundreds of years. otherwise you wouldnt be hearing if it is as big as 1974 or 1936 or whatever.

last but not least....the tree cancer thing.....thats one i will think about next week when we get back to the pub and have a beer and digest all thats been said and done!

thank you all so much for your replies. it really has meant so much to a lot of us aussies here on this site.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
It was just on sky news asking for people not to send aid? wtf???
They dont have the staff apparently? This was on sky news just.!!

Is this correct.....for a couple of weeks? Are they taking the piss or what?

Look what happened when Bush said dont send food or blankets just send your cash....Haiti is no further aheah.

You Ozzies wanna expect the worst through ignorance.
Im UK wheres the aid from us? Come on then bankers with the multi million pound bonuses where are ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

Look what happened when Bush said dont send food or blankets just send your cash....Haiti is no further aheah.

Im UK wheres the aid from us? Come on then bankers with the multi million pound bonuses where are ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont you worry, the bankers and the big insurance companies are just sitting back and licking their lips waiting to put up insurance policies. those wankers wont miss their cut further down the line.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Im in canada, and yes we do see it on the news, all different channels, on the radio, its been the top news over here also with the haiti earthquake 1st aniversary, where here and praying for you guys.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

There have been so many offers for people wanting to volunteer here, that Brisbane City Council doesn't need any more. Everyone here is helping each other with what we need, but there is a huge bill that still needs to be paid at the end of it - what with all the clean up and rebuilding everything that was destroyed. Comparing us to Haiti is more like comparing apples and oranges. Yes we've both had floods, yes they were both devastating, but we have more means to rebuild than they did/do. What we need is funding. What other aid are you talking about? Within Brisbane, everyone who has remained high and dry has offered all they can to those less fortunate. On the council's facebook site there were offers from all sorts of people who had spare rooms, clothes, food and storage.

I don't understand the ignorance comment? We expect the worst through ignorance? That sentence in itself is contradictory. Surely if we were ignorant, we would not expect anything? Or are you trying to say we are ignoring the potential for good? That also makes no sense. You clearly do not know anything about the Queensland way.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

dont you worry, the bankers and the big insurance companies are just sitting back and licking their lips waiting to put up insurance policies. those wankers wont miss their cut further down the line.

No doubt this is the case. Some of the banks have been quite good about everything though. I go through Westpac myself and they have offered us all manner of things to help people cope.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
BBC is covering it on their website, Coast to Coast has mentioned it a few times in their broadcaste....
our standard media in the states,.......
well, seen it a few times since dec. matter of fact, was surprised it was still gone on when I found out bisbane got nailed.
looks bad, hope those who are there are staying safe.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

It's summer in australia .... southern hemisphere ....

True but we also have the top end of Australia in the tropics, hence the wet season/ cyclones monsoon rain factor this on la nina which we havent had her this bad for decades, this is what she gives us

Wal

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
It's sad, the USA media doesn't care about anything outside of the US, a major city is flooded, how is this not news? It's like if New York City was completely flooded and the media decided that Celebrity X's latest trip to rehab is more news worthy.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join