It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education thread: Clip Vs. Magazine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I too feel that it is a minor annoyance when people interchange "clip" and "magazine" but to me is not really an issue, if it was a friend I would correct and educate them but anyone else I would just let it go and know what they meant to say. It's not worth the effort trying to correct everyone when both terms will get the job done in a pinch, just IMO.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigDave-AR... if it was a friend I would correct and educate them but anyone else I would just let it go and know what they meant to say. It's not worth the effort trying to correct everyone when both terms will get the job done in a pinch, just IMO.

It's definitely a pick-and-choose type of battle. Nine times out of ten I wouldnt bother to correct anyone because it doesnt matter to me what they call what. They could say they are loading their cheeseburger into the bun for all I care.

When I would correct somebody is a) if they are using the wrong term with some sort of pompous authority and b) if I think that pointing out the correct term could genuinely lead to more teachable moments which would hopefully make the student a better gun owner all around like with some hip-hop doofy kid or some fumbling newbie who doesnt look very confident handling a firearm. Here we probably have a nice ice-breaker that could lead to real instruction as long as I dont come off like an ass and shout "hey, moron that's not a clip you idiot!!" That approach doesnt help anybody.

But if some old guy in the next stall over at the range used "clip" when he meant "mag" I wouldnt bother. He just doesnt care so I wouldnt either.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
During my time in the military, I have fired a variety of weapons. The old Lee Enfield .303 had a 5 round fixed mag that was reloaded from the top of the breach by a removeable clip. Later I moved to the 7.62 SLR, 7.62 LMG, these both being fed by 20 round removeable mags. I retired before the issue of the SA80.

So yes, as far as I am aware, they are two seperate entities.
edit on 13/1/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheTruth

Starred!

Thanks for the explanation. Sloppy terminology really irritates me. Can you now educate the media? Have a good day.
T

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by BigDave-AR... if it was a friend I would correct and educate them but anyone else I would just let it go and know what they meant to say. It's not worth the effort trying to correct everyone when both terms will get the job done in a pinch, just IMO.

It's definitely a pick-and-choose type of battle. Nine times out of ten I wouldnt bother to correct anyone because it doesnt matter to me what they call what. They could say they are loading their cheeseburger into the bun for all I care.

When I would correct somebody is a) if they are using the wrong term with some sort of pompous authority and b) if I think that pointing out the correct term could genuinely lead to more teachable moments which would hopefully make the student a better gun owner all around like with some hip-hop doofy kid or some fumbling newbie who doesnt look very confident handling a firearm. Here we probably have a nice ice-breaker that could lead to real instruction as long as I dont come off like an ass and shout "hey, moron that's not a clip you idiot!!" That approach doesnt help anybody.

But if some old guy in the next stall over at the range used "clip" when he meant "mag" I wouldnt bother. He just doesnt care so I wouldnt either.

I completely agree with that, if the person is pompus about it or seems like they could genuinely learn from it I will take the time to try and educate them but with the vast majority of people these days it is not worth the breath or effort sadly. Lol that approach has been know to wake a few dopey people up.

It's like trying to convince tuners that there is no such thing as "Nawz" NOS is a company and is meant to be said as N-O-S not NAWZ, that always drove me insane but hey there idiots and it will take more than my words to break them off idiotic habits.
edit on 13-1-2011 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I got to say I am really happy that some people learned something new!
To the others that know but dont care, you should.
Take pride in knowing the specifics of the weapons you handle, when you know your subject matter you will gain peoples respect as they can understand your not just spouting nonsense like " Toss me dat 31 round CLIP dawg".

After all, you ARE in the weapons forums

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheTruth
I got to say I am really happy that some people learned something new!
To the others that know but dont care, you should.
Take pride in knowing the specifics of the weapons you handle, when you know your subject matter you will gain peoples respect as they can understand your not just spouting nonsense like " Toss me dat 31 round CLIP dawg".

After all, you ARE in the weapons forums

I assure that it is far from a matter of not caring, I do care and if they show a genuine interest in learning and keep an open mind I will be glad to teach them the right terminology. Being a realist I will not waste my breath/energy on someone who does not want to or can't learn. as this is not an issue of terminology that could result in a safety hazard I do not see the big deal in letting it slide. Now if this a matter of someone trying to shoot a 7.62x39 round in a weapon chambered for 7.62x51 I will promptly correct them in the most efficient way possible even if it comes of as harsh to protect them from a potentially dangerous situation

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

It annoys me when people can't pronounce gun names right like the gewehr or M1 Garand.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I dare anyone in the military to say my gun is fed by a clip
the NCO's will either tear you a new one or royally embarras you.

It's funny, some firearms manufacturing companies use the term clip for their magazines (shudders).

But you can't get much worse than this though, however the firearm illiterate won't see what's wrong with this one

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I dare anyone in the military to say my gun is fed by a clip
the NCO's will either tear you a new one or royally embarras you.

It's funny, some firearms manufacturing companies use the term clip for their magazines (shudders).

But you can't get much worse than this though, however the firearm illiterate won't see what's wrong with this one

I completely agree any D.I or NCO would hand you your ass and probably P.T you to death for that kind of mistake lol.

are you kidding me? On their product brochure? That is just scary I hope whoever pulled that little SNAFU got publicly humiliated and fired promptly that's just inexcusable. I mean really imagine a firearms noob trying to figure out which way the rounds went in the "clip" (lol just kidding guys don't hurt me lol) and looked at the and said "oh yeah that must be how it goes H&K put it in plain sight on their brochure"

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Thats kool you got to fire a Lee Einfield! Im guessing you used the SLR for a good amount of time? Can I ask how you found it? Soldiers I've spoken to from that generation all give it a lot of praise and I'm curious if they might have used it still after the SA80 as a designated marksman weapon at all?

Nice thread. I know it a really small thing but it does wind me up and I know it annoys a lot of others too!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by zombiesC4

It annoys me when people can't pronounce gun names right like the gewehr or M1 Garand.

Or when you say M14 and their like yeah yeah, the M14 Garand right? And your like ummmm no.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Aggie Man

No, it is a magazine fed gun...

Not one single gun in existence that is clip-fed? Zero?

As someone posted earlier...the M1 Garand is clip fed from an 8 round end block Clip.

The SKS rifle is also Clip fed from an 10 round stripper clip.

For all that matter many military style bold action rifles are notched in the receivers to accept stripper clips to lod them. Most of them about 5 rounds in a stripper clip.

There are still lots of clip fed rifles in existance.

Also agree with some of the posters..those who want to learn the correct terminology ...I salute them. Most do not...particularly the news media hell bent on exploiting paranoia in the public about everything and anything.

My thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Except the M1 Garand, which is the rifle we all knew he was referring to has a built in magazine. The argument here is whether they are the same thing or not.

While the magazine is loaded with a clip, it is still a magazine fed gun.

On the rest, we agree.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
The two words have all but become interchangable in common usage, lay persons don't know the difference and those that do realize when someone is making the mistake and understands what the mean anyway. Is it annoying? sure. Is it really worth any bother? not really.

^^It still all boils down to this.

There are a vast number of misconceptions in all walks of life. One more severe example would be that people are constantly portrayed to be "sucked out" of airplanes or space ships. In reality they are blown out from the higher into the lower pressure atmosphere. Unlike the clip-magazine conflict, this is actually a relevant difference.

Most of the time this is nitpicking. The most extreme form are the Marines (or more often their fanboys) with their allergy not be written in lower case letters or *ghasp* being called lowly "soldiers".

In reality it is just not relevant 99.9% of the time and for 99.9% of people.

edit on 18/2/2011 by Lonestar24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Except the M1 Garand, which is the rifle we all knew he was referring to has a built in magazine. The argument here is whether they are the same thing or not.

On the rest, we agree.

This.
It is a magazine fed weapon.
The clip feeds rounds into the fixed magazine and is then discarded, the chamber closed thus feeding rounds from the magazine, and then the weapon is ready to fire.

edit on 2/20/2011 by TasteTheTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Lol exactly.People need to know stuff about guns incase something big happens.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheTruth

On the rest, we agree.

This.
It is a magazine fed weapon.
The clip feeds rounds into the fixed magazine and is then discarded, the chamber closed thus feeding rounds from the magazine, and then the weapon is ready to fire.

edit on 2/20/2011 by TasteTheTruth because: (no reason given)

What???!!! This also describes my 1903 Spingfield Bolt action with a five round stripper.

Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join