It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education thread: Clip Vs. Magazine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Ok kids, I had to make a post.
I cant stand seeing over 3000 comments and a CNN editor refer to a magazine as a clip, nor can I stand to see it on these forums.

A "clip" is a stripper clip. A piece of metal onto which rounds can be placed, which at a later time makes for easy loading into a magazine. How?
A simple metal strip has two brass tabs at the end, you slide rounds onto this metal strip and then close the tabs which prevent the rounds from coming off.
This strip is then connected to the magazine using a simple device, you press down on the rounds on the strip which bend the brass tab under the rounds out of the way and they 'strip" off the stripper clip and into the magazine.

A "magazine" is the actual device which retains rounds to be fired form the weapon and is inserted into said firearm.

A "clip" is not a magazine.

Thank you.
Class dismissed

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I call magazines clips to to piss my grandson's off.

The under-thirty crowd takes this clip-magazine thing to new levels of seriousness I never thought were possible.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
trouble is most media types dont have enough interest in guns to even get the most basic nomenclature correct so we will continue to see this until they take them all away.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheTruth

Amen!

Granted I'm a hair over 30.. I can appreciate your frustration.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Gosh. I'm under thirty and I live in a gun-controlled country and even I knew there was a difference between a clip and a magazine. But I read crime novels and watch war movies, so I guess I picked up the difference there. Who knows. I guess journalists just like to use sensationalist tactics regardless of the implications or misinformation. And to think that they are supposed to be the reliable sources we refer to.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
OP, youre slightly incorrect there....
During WW2, the rounds for the M1 Garand were fed into the weapon by a 'clip'. In later years, as weapons were magazine fed, oldtimers would refer to the mags as clips.
Here's a pic of an M1 clip:

world.guns.ru...

Here is a weapon magazine, more specifically, the 30 round magazine for an M4 carbine:

www.apogaum.co.uk...

today, rounds for magazine-fed weapons are sold on 'stripper clips, which are fitted to the magazine, and the rounds are pushed into the magazine, making for fast loading, shown here:

This concludes your weapons training class for today

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Reply to post by Exuberant1

It's because 2 decades of gangster rap de-educated our peers we have to fight to keep definitions accurate.

And it's always fun to laugh at the idiots in the media reporting like they've never seen a gun before. They have experts for tech, cars, military strategy, cancer and weather but the best the media can ever do for a firearms expert is get a rep from the Brady Campaign or a politician who doesn't know what a barrel shroud is yet has been fighting for 20 years to ban them.

Education goes a long way to fighting stupidity. Such a shame so many are perfectly happy being stupidmand actively go out of their way to remain stupid.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
....or a politician who doesn't know what a barrel shroud is yet has been fighting for 20 years to ban them.

Ah those, 'the shoulder thing that goes up'.

Gotta ban those too bro, they make it easier to shoot a full clip from deadly assault rifles like the mosin nagant.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Reply to post by Exuberant1

They should let the authors of these bills write them in their own language.

It would more than make my day to see the ticker on C-SPAN say "vote to ban 'shoulder thing that goes up' yea-1 nay-400".

Barnum and Bailey cosigning of course.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
The under-thirty crowd takes this clip-magazine thing to new levels of seriousness I never thought were possible.

Indeed.

I've seen this same thread on weapons forums, airsoft forums, paintball forums and all I ever realize after reading them is; I know the difference, and it's just not worth my time to care what people call them.

The two words have all but become interchangable in common usage, lay persons don't know the difference and those that do realize when someone is making the mistake and understands what the mean anyway. Is it annoying? sure. Is it really worth any bother? not really.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Great thread.

We need more educational threads on ATS: Weapons and Tactics.

I encourage all posters who love the W & T forum to follow in the footsteps
of the OP.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Thanks for the lesson.

Edit to remove my jerk comment.

Thanks, for real OP. I learned something new. Sorry for the rudeness. I sincerely apologize.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

No, they don't.

Clips load magazines, magazines load the chamber of the gun(with the help of the semi or full auto charging handle or slide+action).
edit on 13-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Reply to post by Aggie Man

A clip can charge a magazine.

We wouldn't call a gas pump and a gas tank "fuel holders" and expect the listener or reader to know which one we're talking about, would we?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

No, they don't.

Clips load magazines, magazines load the chamber of the gun(with the help of the semi or full auto charging handle or slide).

edit on 12-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

So, you are telling me there is no such thing as a clip-fed gun?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

No, it is a magazine fed gun...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

No, it is a magazine fed gun...

Not one single gun in existence that is clip-fed? Zero?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Instead of trying to be cute you could list what you consider to be a "clip-fed" gun.

I'll list one which I suspect to be an example for you: garand. In this case the ammunition is held with a clip and the "magazine" is built into the rifle itself. You feed the magazine with the clip. When all shots are fired the clip is ejected from the rifles magazine.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Grrr..

Ok, got it to work:
case 'n point
edit on 12-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Instead of trying to be cute you could list what you consider to be a "clip-fed" gun.

I'll list one which I suspect to be an example for you: garand. In this case the ammunition is held with a clip and the "magazine" is built into the rifle itself. You feed the magazine with the clip. When all shots are fired the clip is ejected from the rifles magazine.

Thank you for the clarification. You read my mind. Nonetheless, terminologically speaking, "clip" is incorrect; however, the usage of clip has become so common place to the layperson that I would consider the terms interchangeable....enough so, that if I ask someone to hand me the clip, they would likely hand me the magazine. Much like if I had a bottle of wine and asked for the bottle cap, someone is likely to understand that I am asking for the cork.

Anyhow, I just learned something new. Next time I go shooting, I will make sure to refer to the magazine as the magazine, rather than the clip.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join