It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The guys a moron. He had the most sourced political activist in history on his show... Noam Chomsky, and asked him aload of retarded questions about religion.

Rather than engage in any meaningful conversation he kept trying to steer Chomsky into attacking religion to appease his audience. He's a fruitcake. I'm as far left as you like, aswell as being an Anti-Theist, and I think he's a complete idiot.

If you want to be an American TV show host it seems being a self-absorbed arse is a prerequisite.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by xyankee

He is just a negative guy altogether when it comes to anything that isn't him. In example, republicans, conservatives, religion, and etc.

He thinks he is always right and the other side is always wrong. He is another Glenn Beck but an Atheist rather than a Mormon.

He is Agnostic.

Are you also slamming all Mormon's because you don't like Beck?

He isn't Agnostic. He doesn't believe in God, therefore he's an Atheist.

2nd line

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Bill Maher is the TV equivalent of a forum troll....

He says and does inflammatory things on purpose , just to see people react and get his jollies off......

I just laugh and shake my head at him.......half the time i dont really think he even believes the things he says.....

Pay him no mind and dont feed him

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I don't like the way the man carries himself. He acts like an arrogant sob, thinks he knows everything and has the answers to the worlds problems, would like to change all the laws to suit his views, he voted for the Kenyan we have in office, basically I just wish he would stick to his profession, and keep his mouth shut about politics. This man can never ever go on a show without stating his political opinion.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

reply to post by xyankee

He is just a negative guy altogether when it comes to anything that isn't him. In example, republicans, conservatives, religion, and etc.

He thinks he is always right and the other side is always wrong. He is another Glenn Beck but an Atheist rather than a Mormon.

He is Agnostic.

Obviously you haven't seen his movie Religulous. He is Agnostic. He was raised Catholic.

On the other hand - I am Atheist.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

reply to post by xyankee

He is Agnostic.

Obviously you haven't seen his movie Religulous. He is Agnostic. He was raised Catholic.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

I've seen it. I don't see your point? He can tell everybody he's not an Atheist until he's blue in the face, changes nothing. If he doesn't believe in God, he's an Atheist.

Atheism. Either the lack of belief in a god, or the belief that there is none.

Mahers claims that he isn't an atheist are bunk. It's paramount to an English person argueing they aren't European or British.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I've seen it. I don't see your point? He can tell everybody he's not an Atheist until he's blue in the face, changes nothing. If he doesn't believe in God, he's an Atheist.

Mahers claims that he isn't an atheist are bunk. It's paramount to an English person argueing they aren't European or British.

I'll take Webster's definition. My point. Bill Maher specifically states in Religulous that he is Agnostic.

I'm not really interested in your personal problems.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

I guess I did not mean it to be taken that seriously. I said forced because I like to watch Leno, but I cannot stand Bill Mahar.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

That sounds very fair to me!!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Hahaha. Bill Maher speaks the truth! Truth I tell you!
All he does is refer to conservatives as "18th century, gun loving, bible freaks". Sounds pretty accurate after I watch the geezers on Fox News.

Now if he could only keep his Atheism in check. We get it, Bill............. you don't like religion.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I'll take Webster's definition. My point. Bill Maher specifically states in Religulous that he is Agnostic.

I'm not really interested in your personal problems.

Websters is an American dictionary. Why would you take that over the Oxford dictionary lmao? Still, here you are.

Definition of ATHEISM
archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

From Websters.

Ergo, Maher is an atheist.

What Bill Maher states is irrelevant. He's an Atheist by definition. A Taliban fighter might not see himself as a terrorist, it doesn't change the fact he is one.

You've been indoctrinated by American propoganda.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

What Bill Maher states is irrelevant. He's an Atheist by definition. A Taliban fighter might not see himself as a terrorist, it doesn't change the fact he is one.

Oxford dictionary: Archaic: very old or old-fashioned - (of a word or a style of language) no longer in everyday use but sometimes used to impart an old-fashioned flavour - of an early period of art or culture, especially the 7th -6th centuries bc in Greece.

Enjoy your fantasy world.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged"
edit on 13-1-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Oxford dictionary: Archaic: very old or old-fashioned - (of a word or a style of language) no longer in everyday use but sometimes used to impart an old-fashioned flavour - of an early period of art or culture, especially the 7th -6th centuries bc in Greece.

Enjoy your fantasy world.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged"

It seems like there is a fine line between atheism and agnosticism. An atheist describes a person who does not believe in God. An agnostic believes that whether God exists is not known and probably cannot be known, but is open to a rational debate or is willing to look at new evidence when presented to them. I have not personally heard Bill Mahr claim that he is agnostic or atheist. I am sure it is on video somewhere. I will look it up later. I have heard him say he does not believe in organized religion which led him to make "Religilous". I happen to agree, but I believe in a superior being. So, I guess my question is whether he is atheist, agnostic, or anti-organized religion?

Annee, my question for you out of curiosity, I noticed in an earlier post you stated that you are atheist, but you quoted scripture in the post above. Matthew 7:1 - "Judge not, that ye be not judged". I find this to go against your beliefs.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Erica1631

I was raised Christian. So I am familiar with all the doctrine. I see nothing wrong using bible beliefs to someone who believes them.

The difference between Agnostic and Atheist is actually simple.

Agnostic - - I don't know

Atheist - - no proof of a deity. Absence of belief. Not a belief - a lack of belief in a deity.

I would actually be an Agnostic Atheist. I am not arrogant enough to think I know it all - - therefore I acknowledge I do not know if there is a deity/god. Atheist because the whole god thing makes absolutely no sense to me - - therefore lack of belief.

The only thing Atheist share is lack of belief in a deity. There are hard core Atheists that believe "this is it" - - some Atheists do believe in an afterlife of some kind.

EDIT: I am pretty sure Maher says in his movie Religulous that he is Agnostic. I would say he is Agnostic/Atheist - - as I describe it.

In my opinion - - if you are intelligent - - which I think Maher is - - you would not declare that you know there is no god - - for the reasons I stated above.

I personally prefer the term Humanist. But most people are not yet familiar with that terminology.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Erica1631

I was raised Christian. So I am familiar with all the doctrine. I see nothing wrong using bible beliefs to someone who believes them.

The difference between Agnostic and Atheist is actually simple.

Agnostic - - I don't know

Atheist - - no proof of a deity. Absence of belief. Not a belief - a lack of belief in a deity.

I would actually be an Agnostic Atheist. I am not arrogant enough to think I know it all - - therefore I acknowledge I do not know if there is a deity/god. Atheist because the whole god thing makes absolutely no sense to me - - therefore lack of belief.

The only thing Atheist share is lack of belief in a deity. There are hard core Atheists that believe "this is it" - - some Atheists do believe in an afterlife of some kind.

Your arguments are self defeating. If you don't know whether or not there's a God then that's an absence of belief in God. Therefore he's an Atheist.

Agnosticism is a logical fallacy. It's the golden mean fallacy at its best. There are two types of Agnostics, the theists and the atheists. There is no middle ground.

This fallacy is committed when it is assumed that the middle position between two 'extremes' must be correct simply because it is the middle position. this sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

1. Position A and B are two 'extreme' positions.
2. C is a position that rests in the middle between A and B.
3. Therefore C is the correct position.

The truth is as follows, you either;

a) Believe in God but acknowledge there's no definitive evidence either way
b) Don't believe in God but acknowledge there's no definitive evidence either way

Either way, A is Theism and B is Atheism.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Agnostics, the theists and the atheists. There is no middle ground.

b) Don't believe in God but acknowledge there's no definitive evidence either way

Etymology alone tells you that agnostic = not knowing, atheist = no God. And I'm thinkin' that Maher is pretty vocal that there is no God.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Hahaha. Bill Maher speaks the truth! Truth I tell you! All he does is refer to conservatives as "18th century, gun loving, bible freaks". Sounds pretty accurate after I watch the geezers on Fox News. Now if he could only keep his Atheism in check. We get it, Bill............. you don't like religion.

Your wrong! He is wrong! This is also where he starts being a jackass. Why would you make fun of pro 2nd amendment, and constitutionalists? I am both, but I am not a bible freak! there is no connection with conservatives and there choice of religion so stop associating them. The reason you think that the two are the same is because a lot of the south, or "bible belt" are also pro gun, and conservative. But there are more conservatives and 18th century conservatives than just those in the "bible belt". Bill Mahar is just another Jackass liberal who needs to wake up.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Wonder if Maher is intellectual enough and also man enough to have learned something from Obama's speech last night?

Obama was talking as much to Maher as anyone else when he said we need to tone the rhetoric down.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Agnostics, the theists and the atheists. There is no middle ground.

Etymology alone tells you that agnostic = not knowing, atheist = no God. And I'm thinkin' that Maher is pretty vocal that there is no God.

But Atheism being the rejection of God is a recent definition that most Atheists and Historians refute. It's pushed by American linguists of a Theist persuasion.

Atheism at its core is the absense of belief in God, but it can also be the rejection of God. Words have multiple definitions.

For arguments sake, what is a new born baby? Someone without understanding of the concept of God, let alone belief? He/she is an Atheist, but he/she couldn't possibly reject or make the claim there is no God, because he/she isn't even aware of anything.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Bill Maher looks like a half formed clone of Richard Gere.

Bill Maher is also an Israel firster.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join