It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

So what did Bill Maher say again that was so offending? You still have not explained this to me. You dislike Bill Maher, I get that, but for what reasons? Can reference a specific video so that we can actually discuss the thread as aside to arguing what Bill Maher is.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Erica1631
He has a Bachelor of Arts in History.

English and History.

Like he says - - he wanted to be a comedian since he was 10. He admits he had a great education - - but never wanted to be anything but a comedian.

He is a satirist. A satirist sees and points out the absurdities in life. Much of his focus is on politics - - but he has other points of interest as well.

A Bachelor of Arts in History and English? Wow, impressive! Not a degree in Theology or Politcal Science? You sure are defensive of Maher. I bet you have a huge poster hanging up in your bedroom of him. Or a shrine.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

A Bachelor of Arts in History and English? Wow, impressive! Not a degree in Theology or Politcal Science? You sure are defensive of Maher. I bet you have a huge poster hanging up in your bedroom of him. Or a shrine.

He is a Comedian. Where did anyone ever say he had a degree in Theology or Political science? I sure didn't.

I am stating facts. Is that defensive because it doesn't agree with something you said?

Stop acting like a child.

Hannity - dropped out of college
O'Reilly - degree in history
Limbaugh - According to his mother, "he flunked everything", and "he just didn't seem interested in anything except radio.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
To be honest with you I am a fan of Bill Maher I think he can be a bit brash but it is his style after all, He uses satire to make people think while trying to crack them up at the same time. Just like everyone he is entitled to his opinion whether we agree with it or not. But to deny him opinions is like denying ourselves of that very same right. Like many have said previous he is a comedian, with his own style. Just like Tucker, Carlin, Bruce, Rock, etc...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
There is a simple reason why so many people hate this guy: he's the most condescending prick I've ever known. Whoever disagrees with him (like the Leno crowd) must obviously be too stupid to fully appreciate his brilliance.
He is the 'Anti-Jon Stewart', Stewart is all the things Bill thinks he is/wishes he could be. He showed his class again recently with Monday night's Daily Show opening monologue. Maybe Mr. Maher should study that tape and try to someday reach that level instead of constantly spewing his tired old garbage.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Bullhorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bullhorn
There is a simple reason why so many people hate this guy: he's the most condescending prick I've ever known.

Personally I think that describes Hannity.

Cracked me up when he got a ticket for using his cell phone while driving. You KNOW he would have blasted a liberal for being dismisses of the law.

But NO - - he was annoyed - - thought he didn't deserve it - - etc.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Maher would be the first one to tell you that he is a libertarian and not a liberal or a Democrat. If you want conservatives, listen to Beckkk or Limbaugh or O'Reilly. If you don't like what Maher is saying, turn the tv off or change the channel - it's not that difficult.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
He uses satire to make people think while trying to crack them up at the same time.

Boy, that sure didn't work on Leno. He even managed to be less funny than Jay Leno, which, as far as I'm concerned, is completely unheard of.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LibertyLover
reply to post by xyankee

Maher would be the first one to tell you that he is a libertarian and not a liberal or a Democrat. If you want conservatives, listen to Beckkk or Limbaugh or O'Reilly. If you don't like what Maher is saying, turn the tv off or change the channel - it's not that difficult.

If he's really a Libertarian - - he's a very Liberal one.

I'd peg him more as an Independent.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

He uses satire to make people think while trying to crack them up at the same time.

Boy, that sure didn't work on Leno. He even managed to be less funny than Jay Leno, which, as far as I'm concerned, is completely unheard of.

Agree on Jay Leno - - can't stand the guy.

Its hard to judge reactions on a talk show. You really never know for sure what the real audience response is.

Kind of like Reality TV - - its not necessarily real.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Agree on Jay Leno - - can't stand the guy.

Its hard to judge reactions on a talk show. You really never know for sure what the real audience response is.

Kind of like Reality TV - - its not necessarily real.

I think when Palin went on that show they added a laugh track to make the whole thing appear a little less embarrassing. Maher seriously bombed here, though. I mean, the crowd at the Tonight Show already proved they have no comedic taste whatsoever just by showing up to the taping, but still it's fun watching this guy bomb.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

He is a Comedian. Where did anyone ever say he had a degree in Theology or Political science? I sure didn't.

I am stating facts. Is that defensive because it doesn't agree with something you said?

Stop acting like a child.

Hannity - dropped out of college
O'Reilly - degree in history
Limbaugh - According to his mother, "he flunked everything", and "he just didn't seem interested in anything except radio.

For some reason you are under the impression that I am a conservative/Republican because I question your adoration of Bill Maher. I also don't understand why you are using Hannity, Limbaugh, and O'Reilly to defend your case. It doesn't hurt me because I don't follow them. It just strikes me as childish how defensive you are of him.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

For some reason you are under the impression that I am a conservative/Republican because I question your adoration of Bill Maher. I also don't understand why you are using Hannity, Limbaugh, and O'Reilly to defend your case. It doesn't hurt me because I don't follow them. It just strikes me as childish how defensive you are of him.

Reading emotions or defensiveness into someone else's post - - - comes from YOU. They are your feelings - your interpretation.

I stated facts. That is all. In response to a post.

I follow everything. That's how I learn and to be objective.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Because everytime someone tries to id the GOP for what it truly is somehow gets demonized and Maher is not afraid of these morons.

He tells it like it is and not some fanciful rhetorical nonesense. Beyond that he is another corporate hack!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Reading emotions or defensiveness into someone else's post - - - comes from YOU. They are your feelings - your interpretation.

I stated facts. That is all. In response to a post.

I follow everything. That's how I learn and to be objective.

You're right Annee. My comment about the poster and shrine was uncalled for and rather childish. I probably should not be posting today. Taking Chantix - haven't smoked for 5 days. I am more of a free spirit when it comes to my political beliefs. I am not a Republican, Democrat, Tea Partier, Liberatarian, etc. I weigh the facts and search for the truth, but I am now seeing that there are not many choices left for us. I follow my heart, not a party or a person.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1I've got some news for you if you think Maher 'tells it like it is'. You obviously have no idea what's going on. He actually thinks China 'gets it' when it comes to global awareness. His head is so far up his ass his breath smells like Brylcreem.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
This guy makes me want to impale myself on the nearest sharp object. I am no longer surprised at the ignorance he spews out of his miserable mouth.

I think he is totally a shock addict. He spends his life thinking of what he can do next for jaw dropping affect.

IMHO he is "The Troll" of tv. Problem is, people are waiting in line to feed him.

Apparently, this includes you since you know so much about him.

Try changing the channel next time he's on.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

You're right Annee. My comment about the poster and shrine was uncalled for and rather childish. I probably should not be posting today. Taking Chantix - haven't smoked for 5 days. I am more of a free spirit when it comes to my political beliefs. I am not a Republican, Democrat, Tea Partier, Liberatarian, etc. I weigh the facts and search for the truth, but I am now seeing that there are not many choices left for us. I follow my heart, not a party or a person.

We've all done it.

I'd rather have you here expressing your independent opinion - - then not

Keep that non-smoking fight going.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

I had to watch this guy 4times in the last year!

Wow, being forced to watch t.v. must suck.

What kind of consequences did you face if you chose not to watch him?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1I've got some news for you if you think Maher 'tells it like it is'. You obviously have no idea what's going on. He actually thinks China 'gets it' when it comes to global awareness. His head is so far up his ass his breath smells like Brylcreem.

I see two of your posts in this thread, and both have questionable language, Wanna tone it down a bit, Newb? This ain't that kinda site.
(Oh...and I use 'arse'...better comedic effect and less vulgar)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join