It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Southeast U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jklee67

Booms are usually a good sign that something made it down to the ground in the area that the booms were heard. Anything that is still traveling above the speed of sound below 50 Km altitude will create a sonic boom, although its likely that that surviving pieces of the meteoroid would be traveling below the speed needed to produce light. The flashes that were reported are also consistent with the object disintegrating at high altitude,

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
That sounds ominous.. Bumping this up. Let us know if your local news says anything else.

Searching the news, nothing reported yet.

Why does it sound ominous ? www.todaysthv.com...

Steven Meeks who writes an astronomy blog on todaysthv.com, he says it was probably no bigger than a pebble.
doesn't sound too bad to me spectacular yes devastating no.
edit on 12-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

BTW Did this guys head get ploughed by the meteorite before it hit the ground.thats a really close shave.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df52760fdd30.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
A similar sounding event happened in Saskatchewan, Canada, just over a year ago. It was seen from all the way from here in Edmonton, Alberta.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Thanks all!

This is an important issue and everyone has done a great job researching it and finding the links to match.

The public has a right to know how easy something like this can happen at any time.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Wow, the night before last I had a dream of a meteorite falling to Earth!!!....And for some reason it gave me a very abstract realization of how insignificant our little speck of dust really is. At any moment our planet could be blown into oblivion. Reminds me of a band's lyrics...

..."Unimaginable stellar forces are keeping us alive for now..." -The Contortionist

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by malacandra
I saw it!
I'm in Houma, LA. I was at a stoplight when it plowed across the sky.
Very large.
Green.
Had an illuminated tail behind it.

You see..!
The illuminati.. they are everywhere..!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
will someone post and explain that an object (a supposed meteor) has a trajectory to the N or ENE

i thought all natural meteor showers had the objects streaking in a E-W or W-E trajectory,
as the Earth speeds through the debris field on its orbit path.

the OP observation seems to be a debris field that intersects the Earth Orbit on a slant
that aligns with the Earths axis (tilt) in this segment of our fall-winter orbit

pics would be of great help

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Why would a meteor have to have a set trajectory?
They can and do enter the Earth from any angle and direction.

With the case of known showers that just points out the direction of where they seem to originate, passing through the debris field still throws up random directions.

sciencenw.com...
edit on 12-1-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
*pouts*
Now i'm mad...I live in south Oklahoma and missed it! I remember seeing a bright flash through my windows at one point and thought it strange but I don't remember what time it was...

Is there anyway to know when these meteors, if they are in fact from the Alpha Centaurids Meteor Shower, would be seen? I would love to see one but its way too cold to sit out there for hours waiting.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
sweet,it hit in Poteau Oklahoma,it just happens that I am going to be down there today.just wish I had GPS coordinates and I would go out see if I can find it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well, the media would probably have you believe its nothing, because its completely disappeared from my news.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I am going to watch these areas in next 2 mths why just a hunch might be nothing but a huge green meteor came over brisbane australia on 2 dec 2010.maybe warnings .just a theory but it seams meteors come and within 2 mths something appens like flooding and quakes also meteors wwhere seen in south america before floodings ,big green ones.just a thing im noodleing .specialy since watching the guy who prohecised the haiti quake also lots other things dr something ,some religouse prophet and he got a good score rate

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
in the old days things like these were considered omens from god

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
one was seen length an breath of uk ,then we got the bad snows freezing and the flu killing a lot a lot hospitalised also.sorry for addons,stuff keeps falling in to place just hope the rooks dont die at windsor with the recent deaths.also a german legend about birds dieing and the end

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cidrolls4s

Reminds me of the Agency
again and it was on Jan 11 if you play around with their dates. Green fireballs wow!
edit on 1/12/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well, I never heard any sonic booms, but several years ago, I did security work and spent a lot of time outside at night. I can tell you without a doubt, that I saw a LOT of green meteorites in the sky over me, and more than three or four times too, I could *hear* them.

Some seemed so close as to make me literally duck my head down and cover it with my arms. It sounded like placing a hot brand into ice water.

But no, no sonic booms. Never did find them, or even look for them.

Would be very cool to find one.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If you can find a meteorite it's worth thousands of dollars to collectors. $$$

And yes meteorites can come in at any trajectory.

Green, blue, yellow, white, etc. These are all very common colors for meteorites depending on the composition.

I have seen a green-blue colored meteorite explode, it made a loud pop sound and several crackles afterwards like fireworks. And it brightened up the sky so much that you could see the smoke trail it left, the spot where it exploded in the sky(where the super bright light emanated from which covered the whole sky), and all of the little tiny smoke trails that forked off the explosion point.

There are meteorites visible falling every night of the year. It's extremely common.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Check out all the videos posted youtube 1/11/11 for UFO especially the NASA one. It is a BIG round object right over earth and appears to go into the atmosphere. It probably got smaller as it burned up but on the NASA live feed video it is Huge.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Here is the link to the NASA video on youtube. I am new on ATS so I hope I am posting this right.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
According to those guys on that TV show, Meteorite Men, it helps if there are multiple cameras taking videos from various locations to help triangulate where the meteorite might have fallen, and at least get an idea of the location of the strewn field.

METEORITE MEN

But I also agree that the chances of finding such a thing are pretty steep, since even large meteorites often look big and impressive but don't actually drop material that you can easily find, if at all.

Get your magnet sticks out! Good luck.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join