It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Southeast U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I don't post very much, but I thought this was important. Not sure where to post this, but this seems like as good a place as any. I did a brief search, and didn't find anything. I just heard this on our local news.

We apparently have had a meteorite fall out of the sky at around 8:30 pm central time, somewhere in the southeast United States. There are reports of a large green fireball in the sky from Louisiana, where i am, to South Carolina. I've heard reports of a crater in Mississippi. If anyone has any info, or if anyone is closer to this than I am, please post some info if you wish. Thank you.
edit on 11-1-2011 by cidrolls4s because: spelling correction

edit on 11-1-2011 by cidrolls4s because: spelling correction

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Maybe this is it.
www.todaysthv.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
That sounds ominous.. Bumping this up. Let us know if your local news says anything else.

Searching the news, nothing reported yet.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Looks like it has hit the news. Cool picture as well.

Ball of fire turns out to be meteor near Oklahoma

Looks like somebody beat me to it

edit on 11-1-2011 by candide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Green Fireballs January 11, 2011

This guy here is expecting them and wants anyone who seems them to contact him!
Hope this helps! Get your cameras ready, good luck!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Thanks guys. News is done for tonight. I'll definitely check out the news tomorrow morning and report back. nite guys.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Didn't that group that calls themselves, The Agency, predict a green fireball by the end of 2010? Obviously 2010 has come and gone, but not by much.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cidrolls4s

I am in New Orleans, and haven't heard of this. But I will keep my eyes on the news!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This could be completely irrelevent so excuse my ignorance if so, but the sky to the south of my place of residence is glowing an odd orange right now at 12:20 EST. Never saw that before, I mean I've seen lights from bigger towns light up the sky but this looks like something from fire or something. I don't know..

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

Could be sumthin. You never know. good call.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Nice if I was out that way I would be out with a metal detector trying to make some money, after all meteorites are worth quite a bit of money these days. At least there was no damage could be a nasty wake up call eating an enchilada and looking up and watching you and your table explode into pieces all because of something probably the size of a pebble. (Not saying that is actual size now)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by cidrolls4s
We apparently have had a meteorite fall out of the sky at around 8:30 pm central time, somewhere in the southeast United States.

A witness account (or even accounts) of a meteorite falling does not equal an actual meteorite fall. It's actually very common.for people to say they saw something land close by, but if you look at the physics of such events you will find that in most cases this is impossible.

In reality meteors are never luminous below about 50 Km altitude, except for quite large meteoroids which would without and doubt be heard and felt, since in order for a meteoroid to be luminous it must be traveling at well above the speed of sound (around 1 Km/s).

Generally when people report seeing meteors "close to the ground", what they are really seeing is a meteor high up in the atmosphere and many miles away, but because of Earth's curvature and also because our brain interprets bright objects as being close (even though they may not be), it appears to be "low down".

Although this meteor may have dropped meteorites, they will likely be 10;s if not 100's of Km away, and it's unlikely they will be recovered unless the meteor was seen by many other witnesses or caught on camera.

Reports like this are quite common, and unless there is some nice footage out there, the chances are you won't hear any more about this one.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I saw it!
I'm in Houma, LA. I was at a stoplight when it plowed across the sky.
Very large.
Green.
Had an illuminated tail behind it.
Then just before I lost sight of it behind the trees, two bright flashes in the sky as if lightening.

And dammit -- I forgot to make a wish :-/

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by candide
Looks like it has hit the news. Cool picture as well.

Ball of fire turns out to be meteor near Oklahoma

Looks like somebody beat me to it

edit on 11-1-2011 by candide because: (no reason given)

The photograph that accompanies this story is not a photograph of the actual event being reported. It's actually a photograph of a bright Leonid fireball taken during the 1998 Leonids fireball "storm".

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
(off topic)
Is there a baby from Krypton inside that meteor ?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I understand what you are saying. But Is it fairly common for people to report craters too?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unthought Known
Didn't that group that calls themselves, The Agency, predict a green fireball by the end of 2010? Obviously 2010 has come and gone, but not by much.

Green is a very common colour for meteors. January is also a busy time of year for bright fireballs produced by bits of asteroidal material entering our atmosphere. Predicting a green fireball in January is a little like predicting reports of Chinese lanterns on New Years Eve.

If you check reports from previous years , you will find reports of green fireballs occurring throughout January, and throughout the rest of the year.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I saw it here in north Mississippi around 8.45 pm.. Just saw a white ball of light fall from the sky in the west. People about 150 miles south of here reported seeing a flash of light followed by a boom. Then reports of ambulances and military headed to Covington County Mississippi on twitter..Then news reports come in that it landed in Oklahoma. Who knows!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by cidrolls4s
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I understand what you are saying. But Is it fairly common for people to report craters too?

It's fairly rare, and when they do occur they are usually quite small craters, since our atmosphere does a great job of smashing up and slowing down meteoroids, and when they hit the ground they have usually been free-falling for quite some time.. In many cases where meteorites are recovered it's because they explode when they hit the denser lower layers of atmosphere, and small chunks of rock are slowed down very rapidly since they have lost all of their momentum.

There have been stories posted here on ATS in recent years about supposed meteorites leaving medium-sized (1-10m) craters, but in each case they either turned out to be hoax, or mistake. In the vast majority of cases, meteors are found on the surface of the ground, not far from a small dent if the ground happens to be soft.

This is how a truck-sized meteoroid ended up for example:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df52760fdd30.jpg[/atsimg]

source

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join