It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dem Congressman: If Violent Rhetoric Didn't Cause This Shooting, It Will Cause Next One

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Dem Congressman: If Violent Rhetoric Didn't Cause This Shooting, It Will Cause Next One

www.re alclearpolitics.com

Whether [political rhetoric] caused what happened in Tucson or not, it’ll cause the next tragedy," Rep. Brad Sherman (D-CA) predicts on FOX News.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hatemongering should be a crime for politicians. What happened to reporting? What is this even called? Soap box storytelling predicitions?

I'm so sick of these 'experts' and talking heads holding the proverbial gun to the publics head with threats of future violence completely unspported by fact like it's some ultimatum that we do A, or suffer from B.

www.re alclearpolitics.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm glad this Sherman guy can see the future...The problem with crazy people is you never know what is going to set them off....Maybe the cat will tell them to do it...are they going to campaign against cats ? Sheesh what a bunch of dolts !!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Thier also going after gun rights like crazy all over the media, find it funny how they twisted this tragedy to thier agendas so quickly.
edit on 11-1-2011 by brokenbullet56 because: oops

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokenbullet56
Thier also going after gun rights like crazy all over the media, find it funny how they twisted this tragedy to thier agendas so quickly.
edit on 11-1-2011 by brokenbullet56 because: oops

Not a chance they could have written the legislation limiting / banning free speech and handguns after the shooting. It was just, as Emmanuel said, not letting a good crisis go to waste.

I think that they let this guy slip through the cracks for this very reason.

"Oh, he's against the Dem who's for guns? Two pro-gun people meeting in the same place, we can't let this go to waste!"

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
All that is about is planting a seed in the minds of the weak minded. He wants people to have that thought in their heads, if another similar tragedy occurs.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
and of course the "experts" in Mexico may know things we don't?

en.wikipedia.org...

www.davekopel.com...

I wonder what their politicians are doing today?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
It sounds like they are trying to get rid of the fear based debates and bring in more reasoned arguments. Demanding people to jump does work for some. Informing people there is a log rolling down the hill and jumping is one way to avoid it works a lot better.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

There will be political assassinations as long as their are politicians. There are weak minded people easily influenced by some of the most despicable ideologies... Think neo nazis, KKK, Jim Jones, etc.

Who knows where the finger will be pointed; but rest assured, It will happen and there will be consequences.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

There will be political assassinations as long as their are politicians. There are weak minded people easily influenced by some of the most despicable ideologies... Think neo nazis, KKK, Jim Jones, etc.

Who knows where the finger will be pointed; but rest assured, It will happen and there will be consequences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being in Congress is probably one of the safest jobs in the world. I know for a fact, only ten members of Congress have died by the hand of another human being... most of which were deuls.

You watch too much TV if you think this is even close to a common event.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being in Congress is probably one of the safest jobs in the world. I know for a fact, only ten members of Congress have died by the hand of another human being... most of which were deuls.

You watch too much TV if you think this is even close to a common event.

Correct me if I'm wrong....where did I say this is a common event? I don't think it's a common event. What's a deul?

All I'm doing is making an observation on the way I see the current political climate panning out based on what I hear from the likes of Rush, Beck, Bork, Savage, Sean, Levin, Medved, Hal Turner, ORilley, L. Ingraham, A. Coulter. I watch Fox and listen to AM and post on ATS all at the same time....multitasking.
edit on 12-1-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Well the fact is that the people without guns, incite the people who do have guns. This has always been the case.

Except for crazies, which this character obviously was. Just look at the mugshot.

In any case violent hate speech and rhetoric from politicians should be and IS divisive and compounds the problem of the left vs right paradigm.

There's no need for it. If a politician cannot properly and intelligently discuss issues without pandering to the lowest common denominator (ie. Lock and load) then you should not be in office or any position of power.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I love living in a country where people take the actions of one man and blame it on another, or group. The same kind of people that take a fact and counter it with nothing more than a childish poke at an incorrect key stroke.

If you think that a politician incites murder through 'rhetoric', you can keep your head in the sand.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
On some levels I agree with the Congressman. If all the violent rhetoric did not cause this shooting, it is very possible it will be the cause of the next. In my opinion he is 100% correct. The problem is, I don't view the talk as the problem. My solution is not to stop people from saying things violent. My solution is that Government should do it's damn job and actually represent the people for the a change. If they actually did what was in the best interest of the citizens, most of the talk would stop. The "violent rhetoric" is not the problem, it is a symptom of the problem. Unlike the pharmaceutical companies, I believe we should correct the problem, not treat the symptoms.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The shooter fell through the cracks, the laws were there to prevent this situation and were not followed through with. Plenty of his teachers have come forward and admitted they voiced concerns previously, the college even kicked him out and said he was not to return without a psych eval. The fault doesn't fall on politicians, the fault falls on Jared Lee alone, and if you really want to stretch - his parents, the Sheriff's office, and local P.D.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I love living in a country where people take the actions of one man and blame it on another, or group. The same kind of people that take a fact and counter it with nothing more than a childish poke at an incorrect key stroke.

If you think that a politician incites murder through 'rhetoric', you can keep your head in the sand.

I don't blame Gabby's shooting on anyone but Jared. Sorry about the childish attempt at humor but rhetoric has real power as evidenced by this guy. My head is not in the sand. Don't think for even a second that Facism couldn't sweep over this land like the evil that consumed Germany. It can happen here!

www.youtube.com...

edit on 13-1-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Don't think for even a second that Facism couldn't sweep over this land like the evil that consumed Germany. It can happen here!

Have you ever seen "The Wave" ?

I really think that it's worth a watch.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

The shooter fell through the cracks, the laws were there to prevent this situation and were not followed through with. Plenty of his teachers have come forward and admitted they voiced concerns previously, the college even kicked him out and said he was not to return without a psych eval. The fault doesn't fall on politicians, the fault falls on Jared Lee alone, and if you really want to stretch - his parents, the Sheriff's office, and local P.D.

[color=Cyan]Exactly!

He "fell through the cracks"

a great excuse by the "authorities" for failure.

one "authority" sees a problem and passes it to somebody else for "fear" of a lawsuit or job dismissal.

how about we get some laws and authorities that actually Protect you and me from,

I repeat FROM the mental cases and drug addicts that plague the system and seem to be lurking all over the place!

edit on 13-1-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
He "fell through the cracks"

a great excuse by the "authorities" for failure.

one "authority" sees a problem and passes it to somebody else for "fear" of a lawsuit or job dismissal.

how about we get some laws and authorities that actually Protect you and me from,

I repeat FROM the mental cases and drug addicts that plague the system and seem to be lurking all over the place!

edit on 13-1-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

The laws are in place to prevent this type of mas killing from ever happening. It's not the fault of the laws, it's the fault of the persons who are supposed to be enforcing them. The Sheriff was assuredly notified when the college kicked him to the curb and said he couldn't come back without a psych eval. The crazy thing is, he's the first person to hop in front of a camera and blame anyone but himself! Aside from that, he's supposed to uphold the laws, the constitution, and bill of rights, yet he's basically blaming people for a crime without due process or a court of law at all. That should be grounds for the SHERIFF being in jail.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Next time I get a speeding ticket I'm blaming it on TV. That way I'll get out of trouble and get to travel the country doing interviews.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join