It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Jared Loughner escape death penalty with insanity defense?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This crazy hasn't even entered his plea yet he might try to go innocent I know it sounds mad but we are dealing with a madman. I also think he might try to do this to get more attention to himself which if that mugshot is real he obviously wants other wise why do the creepy smile

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Let's see him charge list :

Federal charge list :
1 count Felony Assassination for the Judge
1 count Felony Attemped Assassination for Giffords
4 count Felony Homicide for the aides and workers of Giffords
State charge list :
14 counts attempted murder.

He is guaranteed to get a needle in the arm at worst, at best life imprisonment without the possibility for parole.

Insanity defense in this case will not fly as the video posted on YouTube and a suicide note found at his home proves premeditation eliminating a psyche defense.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by FreeQuebec86

You know on second thought.. I wonder; do we know if he planned it?

I think it's entirely possible that he was just carrying a gun and it was a random attack.

I don't think so. The fact that he took a cab to the location supports pre-meditation.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I think prison would actually be worse for him than death. Unless he would be entirely isolated.
edit on 12-1-2011 by strato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I think you missed what I was trying to say. The legal definition of "insanity" is based upon whether or not Loughner understood the consequences of his own actions. If he was capable of understanding that his actions would result in loss of life then he cannot meet the requirements for a diminished capacity defense.

In short, unless he can prove that he had no idea that his actions would result in harm or death to others, he will be eligible for the death penalty.

Loughner being crazy is a foregone conclusion. But it appears, to me, that he will have a very difficult time proving that he is the very specific kind of crazy required to avoid being considered for the ultimate sentence our system can impose.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

edit on 12-1-2011 by JDofENGLAND because: posted to the wrong thread

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
I think prison would actually be worse for him than death. Unless he would be entirely isolated.
edit on 12-1-2011 by strato because: (no reason given)
I agree prison would be worse stick him in general population for the rest of his life and refuse him acces to vaseline.......

edit on 13-1-2011 by JDofENGLAND because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join