It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does ATS mean to you?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I've been here for quite a while and I've enjoyed the fellowship and knowledge that is shared here. I have been given pause by the Loughner episode to reflect on what ATS means to me. Is it for entertainment as some say? I think so. If it wasn't entertaining why come back? Is it for information? Certainly. Many stories break here before it goes mainstream.

There are times though and this was one of them when ATS has been used as a soapbox for some that want nothing more than to put forth their own personal agenda. Note I said "some". By and large we come together when faced with hardship. You only have to see the support the community has when one of ours passes away. Like Justin or Shots. We may not always agree but the thing we have in common is this community.

So, what does ATS mean to you? Informed info in an entertaining setting? A battle ground? I've seen this and it is frustrating because it is not only pointless but it detracts from the purpose of our community. We are(should) be seeking answers to the situations that we are faced with today. Not bickering endlessly, pointlessly.

There have been times that I had to walk away because of the trite postings of "some" that have little to give to the community other than repetitious arguments. I have also been inspired by those that look at the community, find it their own and interact, not because one agrees but because there is a knowledge that we are all in this together.

So please, ask yourself that question. What does this all mean to you?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I am new here but I enjoy it here immensely. I see ATS as a place for lots of people with insight, intelligence, humor, and staunch beliefs to gather together and exchange viewpoints, opinions, facts, and experiences.

I have learned things here I never thought about. And even though we don't all agree on everything everyone here says, there is a general consensus amongst members that we do all have a right to say it anyway.

There is comradery here. We should value that.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
For me it is entertainment, but it is place to discuss these alternative topics with a broad range of folks I just don't encounter in my everyday life. It also means a place to share my writing, get feedback on it, and of course, keep up with the latest breaking news, with a different spin than the regular news.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

What does ATS mean to you?

ATS is an endless sea of confusing, fascinating, bizarre and unbelievable stories, events, theories and news all mixed up and brought forth by a melting pot of many different cultures, traditions, realities, beliefs and backgrounds... It's a place that I find both like-minds and not, a place that I am presented with that which I believe and I that which I don't believe and more often then not, that which I don't know anything about or what to believe all while trying (though I'm skeptical by nature) to do my best to fight my natural inclination to slide over topics that I can't relate to so that I continue to learn about any number of topics, all while maintaining (attempting to) an open mind and simultaneously questioning what I read and what I hear.

Ahem... breathe...

Yes, ATS can be frustrating for any number of reasons, especially if one lets themselves get bogged down in the daily detail, the nitpicking, the endless number of annoyances and such that can side-track you from the the big picture, which I think is clear:

ATS is a place to read and contribute to something other than the norm, the mainstream, the mind-numbing dullness that comes with everything and everyone following the same book, the same standard, the same old same old...

I stumbled on ATS while searching for information regarding the swine flu vaccine, stayed for all of the reasons listed above and for many reasons not listed, as well as a few I've probably yet to define.

edit on 11-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Suffice it to say, the ATS experience seems to have undergone a "Paradigm Shift."

This "shift" somewhat propels "Above Top Secret" from out of the "Conspiracy Theory Site" category of websites, to one which emulates the "consciousness and subconsciousness" of the public mind, or in many cases, imagination. Anyone can be free to post factual or informational topics only possible through "flights of fancy" of the human imagination.

If this site can be taken to a logical conclusion, it very-well could be a "genesis" of sorts; a "virtual concensus of thought" or imagination. Very interesting to be a member of ATS during this time.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
ATS to me was a huge change in my thinking.
It brought my analytical thinking to an entire new level.

A 'wake-up' call, as much as I hate using that term...
When I first came here, everything I thought about was just that...thoughts.
I had predictive dreams since I was a child 20+ years ago.
About micro-chip implantation, the NWO and certain aspects of American industry collapsing.
I had dreams about these things before the internet was even available to everyone.
Coming here just proved to me that what I had dreams about then, could be a reality now.
Very life-changing.

I never knew so many other people were on the same page as I.
Let alone how many topics I have learned about and researched on my own.

Just from this site alone.

ATS to me, is my the only site I actually continue to visit.
I don't do social networking, so this is my vice, I guess.
The people here are great, trolls too, and I find myself constantly questioning what is real.
I look at normal people in an entirely new perspective also.

ATS was a new beginning for me. Even before I signed up.
Almost like a confirmation.
Although I never needed one.

edit on 11-1-2011 by havok because: added a line and subtracted a line to multiply the division.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I come here to learn and laugh. To share my thoughts and learn thoughts of others.

The alternative thinking that attracts me in others cause I only can think alternative.

For the way it makes me feel when I find my thoughts were right , and when i was wrong too.

For ATS terms and conditions that really do make the site outclass any other.

For the members and moderators that are almost always lend you a hand.

For the news..

the drama...

the people...

It is great to be part of ATS

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
To me, ATS is about answers.

Surely it is informative and entertaining.
Surely it can be frustrating beyond belief.
Surely it can make me open my eyes moreso than before.

But at the end of the day, and every day for the past 20 odd years, i have been in search of answers.
Answers to questions that I dont even know yet.
Are we alone?
What does the govt know about xyz?
Do I believe in ghosts?bigfoot?aliens?ufos?
What is real?
What is fake?

The list is endless and I have asked myself these questions so many many times.
I do not have any answers yet, but ATS is a place to help me get closer to those answers.

To all of the staff, mods and more importantly members, Thank you for your assistance on my journey.

And dont worry, if I ever get an answer, I will share (with most of you that is)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Intrepid, I've almost been here as long as you and In the beginning there was a sense of community. That's all gone; like the US, it has split into hateful factions.

Now ATS is just a place to hang out with some spirited discussions and lite entertainment.

BTS is still fun. Bit cliquish, but fun.

More than anything, I come to read the fiction and poetry by some of the most creative people I have ever seen.

I think I need to give the political "mud pit" a rest, now that I have been designated a.........."people like you"
edit on 11-1-2011 by whaaa because: add stuff

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I came here, effectively, by accident. After the death of my wife in March 2010, I spent some time reading about Near Death Experiences (NDEs) that I found via google. One of these was the story, published here, by an ATS moderator, KingLizard. I liked the story and the thread, and it encouraged me to read some other posts on the site. Unfortunately, what I found in that forum (and a number of others) was an awful lot of ignorance as regards Christianity, even by some who considered themselves to be Christian. That led me, after a time, to register as a member, to respond to some of the inaccuracies.

Subsequently, I have spent most of my time here as an Orthodox Christian Apologist, though I also have embraced the "Deny Ignorance" motto quite literally -- my educational background and professional career has required me to become something of a "universalist" as regards my studies, so I have a passable knowledge of maths, physics, biology, accounting, political science, geology, history, and so on. My point is not to shout down anyone, rather, to try and make certain that claims being made are reasonable, and that when claims being made violate known facts, people are at least aware of the fact.

Today, if you look at my ATS "friends" list, you will see that most of the people there are either agnostics or atheists. And they are people that I like, respect, and appreciate, very much -- perhaps not friends, in the "sat down and had a beer up the pub with them" sense, but friends, nonetheless. Friends, because they challenge me, they pose questions that make me think, make me consider what I really believe, and why I believe it.

One of my favourite computer games got that status from its title -- A Mind Forever Voyaging, and that's how I view myself. Though my existence is couched by the matters of this world -- my physical being, my relationship to reality, those around me -- I consider "myself" to be something beyond that. So long as I am alive and self aware, I will continue to learn, to share my knowledge with others, and to strive towards an ultimate truth, whatever that works out to be.

ATS, or alternatively, some users of ATS, represent one path to that goal.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
ATS is everything you mentioned.

I have been wildly entertained by some, educated by others, irritated by a few, and I love it all.

There are so many topics here that it isn't simply conspiracy or even alternative, it both and a good source of actual news. As mentioned I can't even recall how many stories I read here first, before the msm picked up on it, I had at times a three day head start.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Here's my answer:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Very simple for me...

CONTACTS...

Since I started here in 2006 you should see my email list to some real insiders. There are some interesting people that are watching from the shadows here.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
ATS has always been a place for me to feed my appetite for learning.
I spend hours here daily looking at the latest ideas and theories. There are lessons to be had in every thread.
You gain respect for others' thought processes and analytical skills. Interacting with all walks of life allows me to gain new perspectives as well as tolerance for differing opinions. I can honestly say that I have gained the ability to see both sides of a story and remain objective. I can disagree while still appreciating the others point of view.

Reading stories about strange occurrences happening to a member entertains me. Even if it complete BS, there is some entertaining quality to it. I recall one guy who told a tale and swore by it until members dissected it completely. He later came back and admitted making it up. He gave insight to a hoaxer's mind. So yes, this place is important to me. There is no other site that gets this much of my free time and I am proud to be a member here. I can't wait til my tenth year, I hear Bill gives away a chrome toaster as a 'toast' to you. (just kidding). thanks guys

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
When I first joined ats it was hard to grasp what I was part of. What I mean by that is I did not really understand what I was part of, I would find myself constantly trying to contribute to topics on the board trying to reply to people about my beliefs or knowledge on subjects, I mean I made it a crusade, then I started to understand, that you cannot help everyone out there understand things, I ended up getting flamed on more occasion then I can count, I am saying their were some crafting ways i got flamed as well lets just say more people know how to use tact here on ats then you can imagine. Anyhow I managed to figure it out, so when I first joined ats I came here to try to help, I am sure to some that might sound egotistical but if you read the board long enough you'll know what I am talking about. I think at times ats can be entertaining especially if you spend allot of your time in the alternative forums. ATS actually to me has allot of the characteristics of man, it is a tablet of chronicled hopes, fears and oh so many questions. Their are many walks of life on this board, and it is constantly changing since if you really think about ats is really the members, for without the members ats would not exist. I believe also as far as getting my news ats is the greatest newspaper on the face of the earth, I get news hear I hear about days or weeks later, their are some awesome members who can dig and find all the news on the world, and I think truly that is what keeps me on ATS, and some of the people I have met here maybe. I will say this ATS has really taught me nothing about the unknown and the questions I had in the first place when joining, and that is one thing that bothers me a little, which means my journey for knowledge is not over, I may find ats as a transition in my journey for knowledge at the moment until I evolve enough or stumble upon a direction to stimulate my learning in the fields I am passionate about. I dare not say nor will I accept I am stuck at the end of the road with others or something, I will find my answers, and based off of how I was treated when I originally joined ats trying to help people, I think those answers I find will remain my secrets, or shared with my close friends.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I will be honest, ATS was really my "first" message board that I have ever really participated on. I joined a couple of health forums and such but ATS was so "easy" to use and follow compared to the set-up of other sites. I love "loved" the format, the easy to see and search topics, sorting, set-up, etc.

I believe it is the best message board set-up that I have ever seen. I admit, I liked it better before this last upgrade but even still this is the best boards that I have seen on the internet. If I ever start my own boards for any reason, I want this type of layout.

That being said. I am not really a conspiracy person but really enjoy seeing all the opinions and the variety of "alternate news" topics. I am a news junkie and ATS provides access to sources of information that I would have never found before. I love reading about historical topics, information on lost civilizations, religion, etc. I love the topics on economics, survival, and discussing the "what ifs" and "what would happen ifs" topics. I love "debating" hot political issues like Healthcare Reform, Carbon Credit Scams, Gun Control, etc. and I have to admit I enjoy speaking my mind on some of these topics to what I call "the uneducated" or just plain "liars" on a particular topic and answering questions when they are asked.

I have to admit, I have enjoyed this "ATS" board immensely though it has kept me up at night researching issues in order to prove my points every now and then but for the most part I am more of a "reader" than a "poster" and have learned allot. Note, you have to separate the "opinion" and the "factual" as with any other news source and allot of the topics are just plain "out there" but it is entertaining to read in many cases and I learn allot about human nature and other opinions that I would have never heard before for sure. I have discovered a diverse community of opinion here and ATS has provided me an insight to human nature, psychology, and strange opinions and beliefs that I would never had experienced or in some cases, believed existed before.

I have been both "Shocked" by what I consider strange values and opinions (and sometimes how foolish people are) and "surprised" when I actually learn something or gain insight to what motivates others to believe as they do.
edit on 11-1-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I hated ATS for years before joining. My husband was constantly trying to explain ATS topics to me and I tried to ignore him, because I considered it 'negativity'. This was... probably early in the 2nd term of the Dubya administration, like 04-05. I'd sit and read threads with him and listen to him, but I didn't really take any of it seriously.

It's hard to tell when that changed. I guess I gradually came around and somehow became a conspiracy theorist myself. To borrow a term from a good old 90's flick: The Truth is a Virus!

ATS can be a mess. People can get upset and discussions can get less than civil, but I can't find so many interesting people in one place anywhere else. Even people I'm not terribly fond of, I'm still thankful for their contributions. You never know whose comments will trigger an idea and put a piece of the puzzle into place.

I gotta say though, I think more members should visit the chatroom(s). You won't always find deep conspiracy discussion in there, but it's a great way to lighten up and have a good time with other members you may or may not know from your favorite boards.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Its a combination source of information on whats going on in the world (am far from any cities , no television, radio, papers etc.) Entertainment and even learn a few new things here.. Plus great to be able to talk to / see viewpoints of people around the world..

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

This thread really exemplifies what I love about ATS. So many of the posts are warm, thoughtful and interesting to read. I enjoy listening to what the other members have to say although sometimes I don't understand it.lol They challenge me to try.

There are some really special people here, kind, thoughtful, helpful and selfless. There are also some laugh out loud funny people on here, and who doesn't like to laugh.

I am soooo glad there is a place to come where you can get real information, or speculate with others who are as interested/disturbed as you are.

I feel a part of something bigger and better than myself when I come here, yes it isn't perfect and cannot be cause none of us are. Still to exchange ideas, what is better?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
ATS means alot to me. And mostly it means family. I look at every single person on here as my family. And even though I come here to read on news and subjects that interest me, when I sign on I feel a sense of that I belong somewhere.

When my Justin passed away, everyone here was so helpful with me as I was going through a hard time. One person even stayed awake all night to text me because I could not sleep to help me get my mind off things.

Ive never really had family, and ive never had but one or two friends in my life. And to be able to come here and have people ask me how my day went, concerned when something is wrong, and the great advice I get, well I cant find that anywhere else.

I feel very greatful to have these people and this site. Nothing I say will be able to express it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join