It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The need to fill the void of ignorance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Sometimes I think we fear the void or emptiness of ignorance and fill it with beliefs to make ourselves feel better. Whether it be how reality exists or what happens after death, no one knows for sure but we can create beliefs to replace not knowing. It's funny how some people talk like they know truth but don't realize they are blinded with the need to believe in something rather than accept ignorance.

I think the two most solid truths in life is that we will die and that we are ignorant about where we came from and where we are going.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Ralphy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
My mum says hello.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Exactly my point. I've tried telling people that perception is the key when it comes to certain things like laws and morality. For instance, I've been arguing with a guy (NewAgeMan) who thinks a "law of life" exists, meaning that the universe or some separate entity somehow establishes laws of morality for everyone. Not only is that absurd, but it cannot be demonstrated by anyone. There are facts and then there are opinions, his being merely an opinion that cannot be demonstrated as a fact. I hate it when people try to rationalize things with beliefs instead of knowledge and facts.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
How do you know for a fact that NO ONE knows the truth?

I agree that most of us need to believe in something. But I think the assumption that it is impossible for anyone to have seen or experienced something that solidifies their belief is ridiculous at best.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Facts - I am, you are, this is, we share the same fundamental reality, and there is only one thing, or one supreme value of which everything is a variable. Facts.
It's simple logic and deductive reasoning, what comes out of those facts.
The proof - look around you.

edit on 11-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

"Look all around you". Isn't that what christians say when they claim that a god created the Earth 6,000 years ago, despite all of the evidence for the Earth's true age of 4.6 billion years? You don't even follow your own statements because you claim some invisible thing established a set of rules for everything and you claim it as a fact, without evidence. You haven't proven anything you've said. You're done.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
How do you know for a fact that NO ONE knows the truth?

The only thing we know is that we know nothing.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by drkylefletcher

then you do know nothing (not meant horribly)

I think the argument of perception is king here. If you think something then that is your reality. in my reality there is more to life than just this. If in yours (i mean anyone's) there isn't, then that's your reality

ive been drinking, can you tell
edit on 11-1-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It's true until you know differently.

Your edit threw me off.

edit on 11-1-2011 by drkylefletcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I really like this little quote:

We are not supposed to understand everything, just understand that we don't understand everything

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch
I really like this little quote:

We are not supposed to understand everything, just understand that we don't understand everything

Yeah, focuses the perception aspect more than the one I used.
edit on 11-1-2011 by drkylefletcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

thanks...yeah it kind of makes it ok to not understand it all, or even try to make sense of it

quick question for the OP: how do you know he doesn't know the truth?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I made a very solid foundational statement, but said nothing about the earth being created 6000 years ago, in fact, all indication from a quantum physical perspective is that there is no such thing as time, and everything is fresh and newly created always.
From that foundation, certain questions then arise ie: what are our mutual committments and obligations to one another, and to life itself as free gift, whereby we might freely give out of what we've been freely given, and is there an oughtness to the isness of being, or what I would call a formative historical causation between the gap of what is, to what ought to be, what some might call an arrow of civilized progress.
I am not about to divorce myself of my rational faculties in the face of the evidence, and it's good to remember that logic is the root of logos.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

"Look all around you". Isn't that what christians say when they claim that a god created the Earth 6,000 years ago, despite all of the evidence for the Earth's true age of 4.6 billion years? You don't even follow your own statements because you claim some invisible thing established a set of rules for everything and you claim it as a fact, without evidence. You haven't proven anything you've said. You're done.

he doesn't need to prove anything, not to you anyway

your reality sounds quite barren. id rather be on the 'this world is wonder and light' side of the argument. I know from my (limited) personal experience that there is more to this world than we are presented with...it just takes some open mindedness and time to see through the illusion and experience the real deal...if that's not the case and actually it really is that hollow, then at least this 'seeing the truth' makes it easier to live through and makes you a better person.

Wheres the harm in that?

ps. I love you

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

thanks...yeah it kind of makes it ok to not understand it all, or even try to make sense of it

Everyone that wants to know the true nature of things should try to make sense of it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

I made a very solid foundational statement, but said nothing about the earth being created 6000 years ago, in fact, all indication from a quantum physical perspective is that there is no such thing as time, and everything is fresh and newly created always.
From that foundation, certain questions then arise ie: what are our mutual committments and obligations to one another, and to life itself as free gift, whereby we might freely give out of what we've been freely given, and is there an oughtness to the isness of being, or what I would call a formative historical causation between the gap of what is, to what ought to be, what some might call an arrow of civilized progress.
I am not about to divorce myself of my rational faculties in the face of the evidence, and it's good to remember that logic is the root of logos.

wow you make me sound like a moron!

what he said!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by drkylefletcher

Everyone that wants to know the true nature of things should try to make sense of it.

of course, but it's ok if we cant/don't, were not supposed too get it all, we cant, not while were here

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Asserting without evidence is not logical. Logical fallacy is as close to "logical" as your argument will ever get. I will ask you (again) one simple question: Can you prove it?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

can you prove it otherwise?

sorry don't mean to but in on the discussion but I couldn't help it

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Whether it be how reality exists or what happens after death, no one knows for sure but we can create beliefs to replace not knowing. It's funny how some people talk like they know truth but don't realize they are blinded with the need to believe in something rather than accept ignorance.

You cannot say "no one knows for sure' you can only say "you don't know for sure". Who are you to tell someone they did not experience life after death and came back? Or some other incident revealing what happens and unveiling a wider vision of how things work, how we got here, where we came from, and where we are going? Instead of the limited vision on the physical plane? Assuming you know all there is on the matter cuts you off from further light and knowledge until you are open to it again.

You can assume no one else knows because you don't, however you don't know for sure that no one does. It is unwise to assume you have gained as much knowledge as possible about our origins and destinations. Be open to the possibility of an expanded vision my friend and the answers will come eventually in a manner that you will know.

If there is one thing I have learned it is the more I learn the more I realize how little we really know.

edit on 11-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join