It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Hum" -- NYC Area, 1960s -- Montauk Project?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I've tried to find any info on this phenomenon that I grew up with with no success. People talked about it at the time; I even remember hearing about it on the TV news; that it was something people were complaining about.

The phenomenon was a (usually low-frequency, but sometimes quite high) hum that went on day-in, day-out. It appeared in the 1960s and went on for years. It bothered some people more than others (my sister was very annoyed by it). Everyone in my family heard it. We were living in Brooklyn.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard about this? Has this happened elsewhere? Might it be connected to some classified project having to do with the Montauk Project or Plum Island? In later years when I found out about some of the experiments they did on the residents of NYC, I wondered if this was one of them.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hey, for the past 1.5 years or so, there has been a very strange rumbling sound here in Victoria BC, Canada. It comes and goes. I haven't heard it for a few weeks now but I expect it will start up again. It lasts anywhere from 5 seconds to about 1 minute. The very first time I heard it, I thought it was the beginning of an earthquake. It sounds as if it's coming from Earth. It is very strange.

I've looked into what may be causing it but am unable to find an answer. Perhaps it is the same thing? Who knows...

Cheers

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CaPpedDoG

Interesting. Do you think it's seismic? This will be a big year for earth changes the way it's shaping up.

The Brooklyn/Queens (and possible Manhattan, LI as well) hum did not seem to be seismic as it was steady and lasted very many years. I can't remember how long it lasted because I guess I acclimated to it to a certain extent. It lasted until I was an adult, though.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Preston nichols claims that they send out a signal to find people that are sensitive to a certain signal. He claimed this way they found sensitive people, and the gov uses them, and they do use people that are sensitive.

I do not know about 60's, but preston claimed it was happening later.

Also you could also be picking up other things too, and there are causes for this sort of thing.

But i was born in mid 70's so i do not know about 60's. I found out they used elec mind control weapons on kids in schools in 1992 in london. But i do not know about earlier than that.

Ultra low freq can make you feel sick if your sensitive to it, and it can make funny effects in you. But you have to be sensitive to it.
edit on 1/11/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It apparently happened in a place called Solihull in the UK for decades and was apparently still being felt by some a year or two ago.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It's happened in a few places in the UK, Leeds and Bristol specifically, here's an article about it:

news.bbc.co.uk...

There's a few other associated articles with it on the bbc site as well. At the minute, I know there's an on-going mystery with it in a town in Wales. Apparently residents were given equipment to try and help pin-point it, as not everyone could hear it. There's another article here:

news.bbc.co.uk...

I can't find any new revelations regarding it, that article is just over 2 years old- it certainly is a mystery!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

One thing is for sure do not go on net telling gov your sensitive to anything, they will try and use you.

On topic, europe must of had the same sort of mind control program as america i reckon, so i think it was a joined effort, and they just steal secrets of each other if someone else has it.

I tend to agree with preston, that the gov sends out a signal and can find people in public that are sensitive with this.

But of course there is times when natural events happen, and if your sensitive to ulf energies.
edit on 1/11/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Thanks for this information. I will look him up. I believe it started in the 60s but it could have been the early 70s. It lasted for decades. I don't live in Brooklyn anymore so don't know if it's still going on at all.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

Thanks for the UK reports, these are great! I'll read them over after dinner tonight. Nice to know this has happened and is happening elsewhere. I remember in the 60s/70s that the media was kind of rolling their eyes and making fun of complainers. Good way to quell reportage...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I always heard the hum was a byproduct of the US Navy using equipment producing extremely low frequencies to detect Russian submarines and communicate with American subs during the cold war.

en.wikipedia.org...

www2.fiu.edu...
edit on 11-1-2011 by drock905 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Found this also, has been heard country/worldwide.

The Taos Hum The Taos Hum is a faint, low-frequency humming noise heard in and near the town of Taos, New Mexico. Not only is the hum's source a mystery, but its peculiar qualities are as well: only about 2 percent of Taos residents - about 1,400 people - can hear it. The low hum - between 30 and 80 Hz on the frequency scale - has been described by hearers as sounding like a diesel engine idling in the distance or having a slow beat-note sound. Some people perceive it as being louder indoors than outdoors. More mysterious still, some hearers who are bothered by the sound have tried earplugs and other acoustic quieting devices to block it out - to no effect. Investigations by scientists, including some from the prestigious Sandia National Laboratories, have failed to find a source or even a plausible explanation for the phenomenon. One theory is that the source is the U.S. Navy's ELF (extra-low frequency) communications system that is used to communicate with its submarine fleet. The Navy, of course, accepts no such responsibility.

paranormal.about.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Warning, some of the information presented can be quite disturbing on many levels. I have not been able to ascertain the accuracy of the information presented. For your information.

The Montauk Project www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...
I hope this link works. I lived in Indiana for a while and knew some people from Kokomo who first told me about this. I've spent a little time there myself, but can't say I experienced anything firsthand.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Lots of stories about this. Some musicians with sensitive ears back in the 60's were driven insane. It may have been a byproduct of changing over to electric guitars and pianos. I never had any problem with my Aria acoustic guitar other than the action was a little high. Acoustics were better for plucking out songs like stairway to heaven with slow progressions between D and G chords. One of my friends bought a Strat and I was like WTF? Triple H pickups that used interference patterns to cancel out and differentiate the string resonance from the amplifier noise. He still claimed it was picking up noise from somewhere, possibly a large military application.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I was just about to make a thread on this, but found yours through search instead.

I have been hearing this hum for around a month now, mostly at night time... it is a very irritating thing, because first I tried to hear if there was traffic, or electricals causing me to hear it...
But I assure you, it wasn't/isn't.

I really hope not to sound crazy here, but it's like a hum inside my head, almost sounds like I am under water.

I am not too up in the knowledge of the phenomena of ''the hum'' so can't say if it is exactly like the hum noise that others have so often heard.

It is irritating to say the least though.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I posted on this a while ago.

It is worldwide.

And I don't trust it. But funnily enough, since I posted on this topic, I have not heard it again.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

I don't trust it at all either. It does concern me, and it is uncomfortable...preventing me from sleep too.

I fear of saying it to friends etc, because they would probably look at me as though I was a wacko, but I am interested in if anyone else hears it.
Thinking I will just ask them, let them think I'm strange, hehe!
I need to know!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Interesting. My biggest question would be: How do you know it's a "hum" and not tinnitus or something similar? A pretty general question but what are the differences? Does the "hum" resonate through your entire body maybe?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Hi Wild,

Maybe because you have posted it, it will stop as it did for me!

I hope so.

Everyone knows we are all nutters here and proud of it (jk)!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SerialLurker

Excellent question.
For me, I know I am perfectly healthy, having been for a very thorough check up very recently.
Granted, maybe it could have been missed, although the average age for tinnitus is 55 and 65, and I am far from being that age.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join