It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Rights are Special Privileges the Government gives you." Excuse me?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
My 10 year old nephew sheepishly approached me this afternoon after returning from his school day with what he deemed a "Bad grade". "Hand it over I told him." As I poured through the pages of his schoolwork I saw one 100, a 96, another few hundreds and sure enough at the rear of this very impressive folder of his past weeks work was an 86. Could this be the grade that had him so distraught?. I chuckled and told him that an 86 was quite acceptable and I was very proud of his past weeks accomplishments and keep up the good work. Kids...

My wife took a bit closer look at his folder, in particular the subject matter and asked me to do the same and see if I honed in on any particular assignment. As I skimmed through the pages I came across a paper I helped him with on flower reproduction, something else on turkeys and then there it was "You have Rights" by Phyllis Naegeli. I quickly looked through it and breathed a sigh of relief. Amendment 2 grants the right of the people to bear arms. There is hope for our youth yet I thought to myself.

Hoping to find other pearls of truth I read on. Loose definitions of the amendments but accurate, so far so good. Then I came to the final Paragraph and Blam - there it was - "Rights are special Privileges the government gives you." I had a brief moment of silence and then decided to bring this to your attention. Although it is no surprise as to what untruths are being taught in our schools about our rights and freedoms, it is one thing to know it in the back of your mind, it is entirely another to have it glaring off the page in your face.

I fear that with the level of misinformation our children are being fed in our schools about the founding fathers and the idea that government provides all that we are drawing dangerously close to the abolition of any generation that truly understands freedom and what our founders envisioned for this great country of ours of which we are falling drastically short.

So now what. Do you tell a 10 year old that what he is learning is patently false and have him dispute it in school where some of the worst ridicule comes from the very persons pushing the untruths, or do you just let it go and risk our last hope of informing a generation that could ignite the torch of freedom once more through an accurate depiction of our nations history.

John Adams, "You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe."

Frederick Bastiat, "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place."

Justice William J. Brennan, "The Framers of the Bill of Rights did not purport to "create" rights. Rather they designed the Bill of Rights to prohibit our Government from infringing rights and liberties presumed to be preexisting."

Benjamin Franklin, "Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature."

I guess these guys ought to know what was intended with our rights they wrote the thing to begin with. It amuses me when man attempts to interpret the Constitution, Bill of rights in todays terms with absolutely no knowledge of the quotes from the men who wrote them, who made it quite clear exactly what was meant by them, funny how that is never taken into consideration.

A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference. Thomas Jefferson

Could it be any clearer.

So this is my quandary . Do I leave my nephew with the false knowledge of his Government as some great nanny that provides all or do I sit down and share with him what I know to be the truth as made obvious by our founders and keep alight the torch of liberty in the generations to come?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Obviously, you should tell him what you believe, obviously I agree with you and would ensure to have my kids be instilled with absolutisms that our god given right. Then I might look further into the teacher and the work and I just might inform the principle of this type of stuff. If he agrees with our thoughts then we've won a small battle in a much larger looming war. 1 at a time if that's all we can do.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I am not very surprised by these developments.

They always try to sneak these little misdirections in everywhere.

They HAVE TO KNOW what they are doing.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
For me, all throughout school (I graduated about a year ago), this kind of thing was everywhere. I tried arguing with some teachers that the information they were teaching was wrong, but most of them are completely convinced what they teach is the complete truth. I'd say have his parents talk to him, see what he thinks about it and what he thinks about what the teacher believes. The present day school system does seem to try to push beliefs on the students. Rest assured, however, that there are some of us that make it through today's schools and retain the ability to think and speak for ourselves.
edit on 11-1-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I would approach his parents. This is the kind of thing that should be taught by a parent. And I most definitely would do what I could to set the little guy straight. The only hope against the government school is the parent.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

You need to set the record straight with your nephew. Sitting down with the teacher and expressing your concerns may help as well, although the teachers are just as much casualties of brainwashing as the kids they are "teaching", so you may not get anywhere with that. Vocalize your concerns with the school board and your local representatives (this probably won't get you anywhere either, but at least they'll know you're out there).

What you shouldn't do is sit back and hope for the best. This is only one tidbit of indocrination that you've found. Imagine what else is going on--what is said in the classroom, etc. I would say put him in a private school that you trust, but alas, most of us can't afford that because we're being taxed into oblivion.

Above all, make sure he knows the truth, and encourage him to find out for himself.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Did I miss something in your OP? Where are this childs parents in all of this? Why is an uncle making this decision?

All that aside though. This is a sticky wicket. I personally believe it is your duty to tell him the truth at a level he can understand. The hard part is explaining to him why he should not argue with his teacher even when she's wrong. Or maybe you could say she/he doesn't understand. This kind of stuff infuriates me. Good luck to you, and let us know how it goes.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Have the kid's parents discuss it with the teacher.

One thing that should also be mentioned is the curriculum itself. A lot of times, teachers are bound to teach particular subjects a particular way or style because the state and/or district policies force their hands. I would advise heading into this (or whomever will speak to the teacher) with the above in mind as it is not always what the teacher thinks should be taught is taught.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I'd send a copy to the Local Board of Education of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and underline the parts about "inalienable."

A concept that has apparently been lost.
edit on 2011/1/11 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Heck yes you tell him the truth!! This is the reason I follow my daughter's schoolwork so closely. She is 13 and these types of things have been going on for a while now.

I have kept her out of school for specific ASSignments. And I am one who believes in sending them to school everyday unless they are puking or bleeding.

We are living in a time where the government is actively trying to fill our children's heads with lies and misinformation. It is our responsibility alone to guide them and teach them the truth. If we don't do it, nobody else will.

Good catch looking btw! I hope lots of parents are also looking.

edit on 11-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Maybe the OP is taking care of their nephew...hardly a point to focus in on in regards to what he is presenting.

As far as the little dig that Rights permeate from within Government has been hammered home for a long time now. You cannot exactly get the youth to actually believe that the Government is the bastion of hope without first giving them a foundation. That foundation is that the Constitution grants us rights, not protects them. Since the Constitution is the basis of Government, it must also mean that Government has allowed us to have such wonderful rights.

I know my son's school quickly and briskly mentioned the Declaration of Independence. Why not the legal binding document that is the foundation of our system of government; it does give us the context unto why we have the system of government laid forth within the Constitution.

Hopefully more and more people have been actually paying attention to the horrendously dumbed down curriculum their children have been handed and start demanding a few things; mainly that education be ripped from the grasp of the National Government and once again be the burden of the State or the People.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

As a child of a mother and father that both taught their entire careers through to retirement (as well as me taking a swing at the gig for two years), I am going to disagree with the assertion that teachers are brainwashed. What people do not seem to realize is that teachers are, for the most part, required to follow the curriculum that the state/district lays out for them. They do not have carte blanche to teach whatever it is they desire.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

I think the sentence accurately depicts "rights" in America today.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I appreciate all of the feedback. what I am going to do was of course if any of you know me at all completely rhetorical.

He also came home from school some time ago with the notion that guns were some bad icky things and actually acted like he was afraid of them, within the week I took him to the range and explained weapon discipline to him and how enjoyable a sport they provide.

Yes I can assure you I will do something about this in short order. I have already contacted the local (quite active I might add) patriot group and I suspect in a group of nearly 400 people someone will know someone on the school board and this will be addressed.

We have to hit these things head on. This would be the third such occurrence to my recollection of some such mis-truth he has been presented in his place of education about this country and its history pertaining to our freedoms.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
When I was in middle school, 7th or 8th grade, everyone in the class had to memorize The Declaration of Independence.

Not the whole thing, mind you, just this part:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,[72] that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I specifically remember someone asking about the rest of the document, and our teachers response has stuck with me to this day.

"The rest of the document isn't very important, this is the section I want you to focus on" she said.

That whole thing has stuck with me for over thirty years, and it seemed applicable here, for some reason.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWJFKD
"Rights are special Privileges the government gives you."

Is this something that HE wrote, or was it something printed by the school?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by WWJFKD

I think the sentence accurately depicts "rights" in America today.

Star for you (big one). Sadly, that is the truth of it isn't it. To the victors go the spoils. The winner gets to rewrite history as he sees fit. Its as if they are preparing our youth for the direction they intend to take this country irregardless of what history shows to be patently against the intentions of the founders.

I have said this before and I will say it again, and I doubt very seriously if it is the last time I will say it.

This is our watch and we owe it to those who have gone before us and their sacrifices so that we might live in a free country to keep the torch alight and ensure the preservation of freedoms for this and generations to come.

We have big shoes to fill.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
S&F..... These are some great posts with valuable advice.

However, just a reminder..... it has always been taught here in the USA that:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" and the use of "he", "his", "himself", etcetera... without mention of women. It has been excused that the terms actually mean women, her, hers, herself too.... but, let's face it, it didn't.

I don't want to distract from the great message in the original post. I just want to show that what we teach our children at home is what really counts. All else can be graded and judged by whomever with whatever attitude and prejudices they want. Parents are the power of the future of our society with how they raise (or neglect) the children.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by WWJFKD
"Rights are special Privileges the government gives you."

Is this something that HE wrote, or was it something printed by the school?

It is a direct quote taken from one of his school papers called "You have rights" by Phyllis Naegeli.

Like the new avatar by the way - very regal
edit on 11-1-2011 by WWJFKD because: ps

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Okay. For a little fun here is the piece that the OP is talking about.

Disclaimer: It links to a .doc file. I have personally done a scan upon the file, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't yourself. Self responsibility and all....
You Have Rights

Now, the portion the OP was talking about is excerpted below:

Rights are special privileges the government gives you. In our country, you have many freedoms. You have free speech. You are given the right to choose a religion. In America, the press is free to tell you what is happening in the world. The Bill of Rights lists the freedoms given to you.

It is by decree and authority of the almighty State that we are allowed to worship whom we wish! What we speak about! What the press tells us! Thank you my almighty State for being so benevolent and kind to the People.....who consents (barely) to your power.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join