It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

abovetopsecret.com on The Washington Post | Article regarding Jared Loughner

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

The article

A benign and objective appraisal of Jared Loughner's ties with the ATS community The Washington Post Staff Writer David A. Fahrenthold.

The Web site Abovetopsecret.com is a place where odd ideas are welcome: Its discussion threads ask questions about UFO sightings, evidence of God, and "How do you kill an alien zombie?" But it became an unwelcome place for a new user, who joined the site in early 2009 and called himself "Erad3." Now - based on the language in his postings, and information about where he logged on - the site's operators believe Erad3 was accused Arizona shooter Jared Lee Loughner, 22.

Article | Source

Highlighted ATS community members

1. Erad3 *BANNED*
  2. mordant1 *BANNED*
  3. Ben81

Quotes by Bill Irvine

Bill Irvine is the chief executive of ATS's parent company, The Above Network.

I'd go with 99 percent.
[when asked how certain he was that Erad3 and Loughner were the same person.]

It seemed like he was hoping he might fit in on a site like ours. But, as you can tell, he really didn't.

"He seemed just . . . way, way out there, from some of his ideas."

Other news sources mentioning ATS

edit on 11/1/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
lol new members are gonna start to roll in like crazy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

Theres enough posts on jared allready

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That's a weak chain of connection, to think because someone had the same idea from the area where they suspected was where he was, they're going to say it was him?...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Glad to see a news outlet such as The Washington Post painting the ATS community in a positive light in the wake of this whole thing. They could have tried painting us as a place for dangerous people to gather, but instead, chose to highlight how we rejected the shooter's ramblings.

This is a good thing.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Ideas about ufos and if God is real, are not really crazy ideas are they? Just alternative. Thinking about other things apart from Sports or Celebrity are deemed Crazy idea's nowadays.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The Washington Post really shows ATS in a good light here and Im glad . Surprised , yes , but glad.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Nice to see the topics the article bring up in relation to ATS- makes us seem like a bunch of weirdo's. Zombie aliens? Hardly a fair portrayal- there's always plenty of intelligent discussion going on here. Sure, there's some highly speculative topics, but you can't jump to conclusions and judge the site solely on that. Sounds a bit like they're trying to create a certain opinion of this site, unsurprisingly- although, at least they've made it clear ATS is in no way to blame, more like it's full of harmless loonies

edit on 11-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Shikamaru

IP geolocation records, comments, and registered email would be more than enough to connect him to his ATS account.

I mean, if you have a user that makes remarks closely tied to verbiage in his known YouTube videos, AND you see that the user consistently come to the site from a particular IP that's known to be in the same local area he lived in... 2 + 2 very quickly equals 4.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Pretty fairly presented article, even if it just paints him as too nutty for the nut house.

That evening, someone posted on one of Erad3's old threads, about the idea that the Mars rovers were faked: "OP [original poster] is believed to be the shooter in today's assassination attempt." A minute later, another poster calling himself Ben81 responded: "they faked the moon landing yes .. but the mars rover .. i dont think so."

Probably the best we could have hoped for honestly.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
That was actually a very positive article about ATS.

And they made it clear that he wasn't rantin on here about Giffords or talking about violent actions.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

They had a little fun with us, sure... but the article ultimately makes us look much better than many of us expected from the MSM.

I also like how they called our user base "skeptics AND conspiracy theorists", acknowledging that we DO look at both sides of the coin here.

edit on 11-1-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
What a delightful shoutout to Ben81 at the end, no?

A minute later, another poster calling himself Ben81 responded: "they faked the moon landing yes .. but the mars rover .. i dont think so."

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well at least they didn't make this site seem like a bunch of crazeez. I was actually expecting a msm article to come out also blaming any sites like this that he may have visited to have helped his lunacy. That was really wierd though, that article didn't seem to have an agenda behind it, it was all facts and nothing seemed misleading(I'm I dreaming? A msm article without bias, agenda, or slant on it?) _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I am surprised that the media has been playing nice, it is not normal, reporters usually try to dig up dirt and exaggerate things, what is going on?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Theres enough posts on jared allready

While that may be the case , this is the first one that brings this information to the board , so I don't see where there is a problem .

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Sounds like Bill handled it perfectly and I have no doubt that his tact is the reason they painted ATS in such a good light. Kudos.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Is there one-hundred percent proof this was Jared?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

so if i posted a thread on some new Information that Jared has a bunny that he sadistically dressed in doll clothing every night, would it be well recieved?

Nope because itll help to jam up the servers

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Hmm... why did mordant1 get banned?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join