It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter's Response to WikiLeaks Subpoena Should Be the Industry Standard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Twitter's Response to WikiLeaks Subpoena Should Be the Industry Standard

www.wired.com

ANALYSIS: Twitter introduced a new feature last month without telling anyone about it, and the rest of the tech world should take note and come up with its own version of it

Twitter beta-tested a spine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Basically what happened was that there was a records request from law enforcement... which was itself tagged with a GAG order.

Twitter successfully overturned the Gag order and then alerted the subscribers in question about the records request.

GOOD ON THEM

This is much different than the response from Amazon, Visa, MasterCard and Paypal....

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I noticed a link in the sourced article about a guy who challenged the gag order from 2006 and has only recently been allowed to talk about it.

‘John Doe’ Who Fought FBI Spying Freed From Gag Order After 6 Years There's also a link to another incident when the 'Internet Archive,' home to the 'wayback machine,' was also hit with one of these orders...here.

The smiling faces of billboard politics go on about 'open government.' yet behind the scenes is all the intimidating secrecy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Thanks for highlighting that

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Great Find...

Connected to the same story... I am including it here because I do not want start a new thread and it ties in directly with the theme this article is from...

Yahoo beats the feds (great image)

seems in both cases the guv'mint cided it had the major say in house we'ums communekate...

I actually am a little bit off here... my understanding was that the FCC and feds had open access to any communications between website ect... because most at some time or another go through certain bandwidths in the air...

It would be an interest thread over exactly what laws are in place governing the internet...

I one for think they already have all they need to do what they want and are just a lazy group of leaders...

chow, mein doggie

edit on 11-1-2011 by ripcontrol because: smiley testing, and other signature experiments

?????
edit on 11-1-2011 by ripcontrol because: when did they change all the smileys and remove the good ones????

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

There are quite a few trends going this way. As the people lose their privacy, so does the organisations that depend on them. Hopefully help keep things in check as everyone gets to watch everyone else's back.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
That's awesome, plus Twitter beta tested a spine is the funniest thing I've read all day

I'm glad they stood up for their subscribers, not that I'm one of them, but at least now I can stop insulting them.

Good for them.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Awesome!!! Thanx OP for giving us some GOOD news, Lord knows we need it! I just "Tweeted" my salute & thanx to Twitter for a noble thing they did. (If anyone wants to "follow" me on Twitter, it's the same username Rockerchic4God)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

I agree.. this gives me a lil bit of hope for the future of social networks standing up for their members.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I know this is one of the comments on the article but you can pretty much bet your last dollar/pound/whatever your currency..
That they are currently doing similar things with sites like facebook, with Goldman Sachs buying facebook you can also bet that currency they wouldn't fight the order at all.
Maybe it's time to delete that account?

new topics

top topics

join