It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just In-Thousands of Dead Fish in Chicago Today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by Randall07
reply to post by againuntodust

Well in the article it does state that these particular fish are sensitive, however it also states that this massive die-off is "not normal", and "abnormal". So something is not right and has got the people in the article's attention.

No...the article does not state that. The article said that the Canadian Geese and Mallards eating the dead fish isn't normal...nothing about the fish die off not being normal.

The massive die-off was first documented Thursday by Carl Vizzone, a North Side fisherman who sits on the board of Perch America. What caught his eye was Canada geese and mallards eating dying shad at open water by DuSable and Diversey harbors. “This is not normal,’’ he said.

He’s right, agreed naturalist Joel Greenberg, author of A Natural History of the Chicago Region. Canada geese and mallards normally don’t eat fish, but, Greenberg said, “They are opportunistic.”

Re-read the end paragraph:
"Makauskas, who speculated that the young shad may not have built up enough reserves to survive the early onslaught of extreme cold, agreed the die-off is abnormal."

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
My thoughts on this whole birds/fish deathwatch is split.

One one hand i do believe that this has been happening for years and now they seem to be getting reported and then posted on ATS more, that then results in people thinking that things are getting worse because we are being exposed to the information more regularly.

However with that being said "This happens all the time" style of comment. I believe that it has been but its still due to effects that we have caused. Will this continue? Yes it will. Will it turn into a pandemic? I dont think so. Reproduction will continue.

Drustew

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust

Well in the article it does state that these particular fish are sensitive, however it also states that this massive die-off is "not normal", and "abnormal". So something is not right and has gotten the people in the article's attention.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Randall07 because: (no reason given)

I know the article says "bizarre fish die-off", but it's sensationalism. Remember, they make money if people read their stories.

These fish die-off every year at this time because of the cold and a lack of O2. The only thing that's different is there were more than usual, which can be attributed to anything - but most likely attributed to the recent drop in temperature over the past few days in Chicago.

If you can think of another reason let me know, but as far as I can tell, this is just another case of mass-media sensationalism, another journalist looking to get credit for "breaking the story", knowing that people will attribute it to the other "die-offs" mentioned in the news recently.

edit on 11-1-2011 by againuntodust because: (no reason given)

If this was a lone incident I would agree with you and we probably wouldn't even discuss this situation. But with the recent frequency and mass numbers of dieing birds and fish compressed within these 11 days, it does seem a little more peculiar than ordinary.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

If this was a lone incident I would agree with you and we probably wouldn't even discuss this situation. But with the recent frequency and mass numbers of dieing birds and fish compressed within these 11 days, it does seem a little more peculiar than ordinary.

I understand and at first I thought there might be something to this and all the other 'dying creatures' as well.

I still don't believe the fireworks story and the lightning story in Arkansas and Louisiana.

But you have to look at each case on a case by case basis; this one is an open and shut case. If you're a skeptic you have to be skeptical about everything, every time.

Here's a report from 1988 about these gizzard shad.

gizzard shad isoa schooling species, huge numbers may die in a short period of time.
The effects of natural winter stresses on the mortality of the ...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Next weeks headlines should read as follows....

"Nature Happens"
"Leaked Government Secrets Reveal Bad Things"
"Afghanistan Persists Being Afghani"

"This has been the Obivous New Network, Goodnight America."

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You might be right. I guess it all depends on the observer. One might say in this particular case it's normal to have so many gizzard shad die. Or one might say that even though it's usually normal, but this time there could be a correlation to the other deaths. I lean more towards a correlation, but I could be wrong. But in any case, thanks for taking the time to find the link I appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Randall07

I agree, if you look at the latest google map, and then click on the statistics button youll see, there were 80 some(82 I beleive) incidents of mass die off in 2010 for the whole year, we are now up to 50 in the first 11 days of 2011. Something wicked this way comes I sayeth.
R.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
It's all natural. Move along, nothing to see here.

How about the Steelers?

Sarcasm, right???

Hopefully........That's why I starred your post.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Makes me wonder it this is why the Arizona incident is getting 24/ non-stop airtime on all the MSM news stations.

What happened there was indeed sad, and I certainly hope that justice is served and the families have strength through this very tough time....

but we know that when they report the same story (with no changes to be reported) 24/7 non-stop, they are doing so as a means of DiSTRACTION

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Just a thought. Has anyone thought to connect all the recent bird/fish deaths with the fact that BP dumped tons of Corexit (and oil) into the ocean? And perhaps that now that the Gulf Stream has carried that known neurotoxin around the world, it might be evaporating and getting into falling rains, not to mention being dispersed throughout the world's oceans? Possibly poisoning the fish and birds? (just something that crossed my mind)
edit on 11-1-2011 by AutOmatIc because: more info

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is an older article but it seems plausible that this chemical could evaporate and fall as rain:

A greater danger involving Corexit 9500, and as outlined by Russian scientists in this report, is that with its 2.61ppm toxicity level, and when combined with the heating Gulf of Mexico waters, its molecules will be able to “phase transition” from their present liquid to a gaseous state allowing them to be absorbed into clouds and allowing their release as “toxic rain” upon all of Eastern North America.

www.eutimes.net...

The BP oil spill? Baton Rouge : LA : USA | Jan 04, 2011 Are dead birds in Louisiana and Arkansas tied to the BP oil spill? Birds are the single most populous species on earth. There are literally billions of them inhabiting every inch of our world. Because of this, scientists call them an indicator species. The recent sudden death of 5,000 blackbirds in Beebe, Arkansas, and more than 500 dead birds of the same species a few days later in Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana, plus additional bird deaths in Gilbertsville, Kentucky, raise questions about what the areas have in common...died within days of each other. Beebe, Arkansas and Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana are just 381 miles apart; a virtual stone’s throw for most birds. A map...shows that you can draw almost a straight line...If you add the Kentucky location...What they also have is common is weather influence from the Gulf of Mexico. Many storms that originate in the Gulf make their way inland, as far north as New York on occasion. ....one must consider the long term effects of the massive about of chemicals used in the Gulf oil spill as a possible cause for the bird deaths. Enough time has elapsed since the April 20, 2010 disaster to allow the chemicals to work their way through the environment. During the height of the oil spill disaster, nearly 2 million gallons of Corexit was poured into the Gulf of Mexico. Corexit goes through a molecular change when it comes into contact with warm water; it changes from a liquid to a gas and evaporates into clouds. Corexit is toxic at only 2.61 PPM. “Corexit is one of the most environmentally enduring, toxic chemical dispersants ever created to battle an oil spill.” Furthermore, “A report prepared for President Medvedev by Russia’s Ministry of Natural Resources warned that the BP oil spill would be the worst environmental catastrophe in all of human history, threatening the entire eastern half of the North American continent.”...The Russian study warned of years of toxic oil rain, resulting in profound changes in the ecosystem. Could nine months of toxic oil rain...in the same area at the same time? Could the birds have ingested contaminated prey? Chemically transformed Corexit may have nothing to do with the death of 5,500 birds, 381 miles apart, within 24 hour of each other. It may have nothing to do with the death of 100,000 fish in the Arkansas River. But then again, it might....Since no one has ever used such a massive amount of toxic chemical dispersant on an oil spill before, there is no data to use as a guide for long term environmental damage. The question is, if there were scientific evidence to support widespread damage from the BP oil spill, and that it was the cause of thousands of fish and birds suddenly dropping dead, would anyone admit it?

www.allvoices.com...

...interesting.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Steelers? Lets stay on topic and talk about Ducks. Did you see them lose to Auburn? That game was so intense...

. . .

Well played. Star for you

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust

Well in the article it does state that these particular fish are sensitive, however it also states that this massive die-off is "not normal", and "abnormal". So something is not right and has gotten the people in the article's attention.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Randall07 because: (no reason given)

I know the article says "bizarre fish die-off", but it's sensationalism. Remember, they make money if people read their stories.

These fish die-off every year at this time because of the cold and a lack of O2. The only thing that's different is there were more than usual, which can be attributed to anything - but most likely attributed to the recent drop in temperature over the past few days in Chicago.

If you can think of another reason let me know, but as far as I can tell, this is just another case of mass-media sensationalism, another journalist looking to get credit for "breaking the story", knowing that people will attribute it to the other "die-offs" mentioned in the news recently.

edit on 11-1-2011 by againuntodust because: (no reason given)

totally agree,,,,, animals are smart,,, and if the fish died of poison or something unnatural,,, i would bet the ducks would choose to avoid eating poisoned food,,,,, we've seen it b4 in nature and scientific studies,,,,, even to the point rats choose to eat non gmo,, and refdused to eat the genetically mod. food

top topics

<< 1   >>

join