It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where'd they get that sample from?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Here are a few popular songs, with samples taken from other songs. Doing searches like this, has actually expanded my musical horizons and let me to artists I otherwise wouldn't have heard of. If you have any, please post!

California Love

Taken from

Chorus Taken from this song.

Gangsta's Paradise.

Taken from

Stevie Wonder.

Fatboy Slim Praise You.

Vocals from here.

Piano from here. At 2:42

Tone Loc - Wild Thing

Taken from here

I'll post more as I think of them.

Please post any that you know.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think this is more of a imitation is the sincerest form of flattery type thing with musicians.

Like the Vaselines, who's songs like Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam, Mollys Lips, Son of a Gun ect. were basically re-done electronically by Nirvana who were longtime fans of the band and opened their songs to the masses enlightening fans who care to see where they got their inspiration.

If you search their song titles in Google you're more likely to see a Nirvana version of the song.

But the Vaselines still to this day in interviews say they don't care that the songs are known as Nirvana songs because they believe he actually took the song and made it his own.

Not to mention the addition of new fans buying tickets at shows solely knowing that Nirvana covered them. lol

Before:

After:

And these songs were changed much less than some of your versions, especially when rappers take samples from their parents music.

Nirvana covered MANY bands, even David Bowie. David has been quoted as saying he always wanted to reach out when Kurt was alive and covering his song but was afraid of rejection for being from the "old" generation. He still to this day says he wishes he had asked Kurt why he chose this song. Which brings up a good point, why this song?

edit on 11-1-2011 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Id just like to ad something kinda on the same lines.

Have you ever heard of the 'amen break'?

It is a drum roll/ beat performed by the drummer from the band 'the winstons' in a song called 'amen brother'

Some people say its the most important drum beat ever!
It is now featured in lots and lots of tunes since then '1969'
we have all come accustomed to this drum sound since.

It has been chopped up, re sampled, and all sorts but all originating from that one beat.

The beat is heavily used in hip hop, Drum and bass, dubstep, rock, pop, i could go on....

here is a link,

www.youtube.com...

peace

edit: ill also add this if your interested!

it compares the wave sound of the beat to the ratio of the human body 'golden ratio'
kinad insane how it has been analyzed. check it out
www.constructingtheuniverse.com...
edit on 11-1-2011 by roguesoul because: added comment regarding amen break wave

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by roguesoul

Wow i think i've even used that beat at some point in my life making music lol.

Thats nuts. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeanius

Wow I thought it was their song. I'm already learning stuff from this thread. lol

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Are you on 'soundcloud' dude?

would be good to hear your tracks!

heres my link

soundcloud.com...

(blatant plug!)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Your # is great man, only had a chance to listen to the first 3 but I love it. What you use?

I have lots of half songs, but the only song I have on soundcloud right now, I made on christmas night with my brother and a 23 year old girl we just met. The song was made and recorded in about 30 minutes with ableton live. lol. Usually my stuff is electonic and dance stuff.

Little Koala Bear.

soundcloud.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

heres my gear list:

Imac 27'
Cubase 5
Ableton Live 8
Reason 5
Native Instruments Komplete 7
Mackie Mr8 Monitors
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keys
Edirol UA-25 Soundcard @ 96Khz

Thats bout it mate, I love the 'massive' synth in Komplete 7
personally i bought the whole synth pack but if your into torrents you can download most of em.

some nice sounds there man, keep it up!

peace

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Yes I don't have Komplete but I will buy it. I am in love with ableton and threw my cubase to the side. Never really got into reason, I couldn't really get into the workflow. I have an Akai Mpk 49. Its ok the pads suck.

I do have battery and absynth. Battery is awesome, but plan on getting the whole set soon.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Sampling, mash-ups and the cut-and-paste garbage known as 'dance music' are indications of the bankruptcy of Western popular culture. The people that create--more accurately, assemble--this stuff are just savages playing with the broken trinkets of a higher civilization whose achievements they cannot hope to match. Like Pacific islanders decorating their bodies with colourful bits of plastic flotsam and nuts and bolts left over from decayed Second World War matérial.

Serious Western music died with serialism and the sonic experimentation of the early twentieth century. Its death helped Westerners rediscover the soul of music, and brought a brief efflorescence of valuable popular idioms like jazz and rock in which some great work was done. But that, I'm sorry to say, was the final flowering. The collapse of music in the West prefigures the collapse of all Western art and culture--and eventually, the collapse of Western civilization.

Pity Asian music is such rubbish.

new topics

top topics

join