It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden says US will not abandon Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Biden says US will not abandon Afghanistan

news.yahoo.com

KABUL, Afghanistan – Vice President Joe Biden assured Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday that the United States will not abandon the country after 2014 when the U.S.-led coalition plans to hand over control of security to the Afghans.

As recently as Dec. 16, Obama said the U.S. and its NATO allies would have an enduring presence there after 2014, although the details of that were unclear.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well, I think it looks like we are going to be stuck in Afghanistan for a long time.

We were supposed to start pulling out troops in July of this year, but, according to the article, the military conditions will determine how many troops are withdrawn. The article also says that military leaders privately said that troop reductions will be small. How small? Im not sure yet.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I have a feeling we stay (not just because but a very big part) because the military being deployed keeps our economy running at the pace better than post-ww2 economy.
edit on 11-1-2011 by drkylefletcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by drkylefletcher
reply to post by buni11687

I have a feeling we stay (not just because but a very big part) because the military being deployed keeps our economy running at the pace better than post-ww2 economy.

hit the nail on the head.

The military industrial complex is alive and well, and making billions off the taxpayer and the lives of people who only wanted to serve their country - not a corporation, but their country.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

The only way we get out of Afghanistan is if we pile into somewhere else, probably.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

reply to post by budski

The only way we get out of Afghanistan is if we pile into somewhere else, probably.

Not until the corporations have exploited the massive mineral wealth untouched in afghanistan - literally billions in minerals and precious metals.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

reply to post by budski

Not until the corporations have exploited the massive mineral wealth untouched in afghanistan - literally billions in minerals and precious metals.

That made me laugh out loud, because you're right.

Edit: They could just leave a "security" force behind to secure the resources, though and move on to greener pastures.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

reply to post by budski

That made me laugh out loud, because you're right.

Edit: They could just leave a "security" force behind to secure the resources, though and move on to greener pastures.

Except they use private security companies now - which basically means more enrichment for the very few, with a complete lack of accountability for the government.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well no doubt Britain will stay longer too, which will make David Cameron look more or a fool, the guy has broken more promises then he has had birthdays....

(slight exaggeration but you get my point)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Not after the mineral deposits were discovered!?!?!?!?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Exactly!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Exactly!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. People need to find out about that.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
that didn't take long,,, jsut two weeks ago all the news media was having a field day when he said,,,, we'll be out of there in 2014,,,,,

was he scolded later for another biden gaffe???

i jst read an article yesterday how we have 600- 900 bases overseas,,,,,, and no one can even give an accurate number from pentagon, defense,,, because it's always changing,,,,, and usually growing,, not shrinking

they talked of one base in afghanistan having a popeye's restuarant,,,,,, to me that shows we don't plan on shutting it anytime soon

top topics

join