It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks' Assange could end up at Guantanamo Bay, lawyers argue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

WikiLeaks' Assange could end up at Guantanamo Bay, lawyers argue

edition.cnn.com

London (CNN) -- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange could end up at Guantanamo Bay if he is extradited to Sweden, his lawyers will argue next month, according to legal papers they released Tuesday.

He would be at risk of mistreatment or even execution, they will argue, saying that means Britain cannot extradite him without violating his human rights.

"There is a real risk he could be made subject to the death penalty," Assange lawyers say in documents they released Tuesday, citing British media reports that Republican politicians Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee have called for him to be exe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This is interesting as his lawyers seem to think that the US will seek his extradition and try to charge him here.
The rape charges are absurd in the first place so I think this may be what they are trying to do also.
"I don't think there is reason to suspect that he has committed rape."Chief prosecutor Eva FinnéThe victims told their side of the story. The prosecutor ruled that it wasnt rape. The prosecutor didnt just say there was insufficient evidence, she said it plain wasnt rape.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Good argument though not really effective as I'm sure it would be in the terms of extradition that he couldn't be sentenced to death. Countries rarely, if ever, extradite someone that is facing death.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Guantanamo is too nice for this guy. Promise he won't be executed, and just send him to a state prison in upstate New York to serve his term. That would be justice.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Serve his term?

What is the States convicting him for?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Guantanamo is too nice for this guy. Promise he won't be executed, and just send him to a state prison in upstate New York to serve his term. That would be justice.

And what justice would occur for those who have been shown to abuse their power by some of these releases?

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Assange had decided to open his media blitz with the banking material...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I still feel there is a bigger game being played out here, while the case bounces between Sweden and the UK the USA won't get a look in.. tho it seems the extradition will be fought on a potential extradition attempt by the USA, and how the USA will treat Assange rather than Sweden.. quite an interesting legal ping pong

I do wonder what the next step will be... and how the USA can keep quiet when it's reputation is being dragged through the mud in a British court in a case in which it can not respond..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I assume you are trolling, since your post has no value, but I guess I will take the bait.
I wonder why you think this, there are thousands of people more deserving of prison then him.
Actually I would say we need him free to help us uncover the people that should really be locked up.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I wonder why you think this, there are thousands of people more deserving of prison then him.

That's always true for most crimes. For a murderer, there is a serial murderer, and for an owner of an illegal gun there is always a trafficker. Hence, this is not an argument.

Actually I would say we need him free to help us uncover the people that should really be locked up.

We didn't need @ange to see that Bush was moron and Blair was a liar. We learned relatively little, but damage to US diplomacy is real.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There's no special relationship with the USA. To heck with them. Let Assange go free and publish everything.

edit on 1/11/2011 by seagull because: removed censor circumvention.

edit on 1/11/2011 by Rob37n because: putting mild epithet in to show disdain for US politics.

edit on 11/1/1111 by Rob37n because: Your edit changed direction of my post

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I bet the US would love to put him there. Unfortunately for them, Julian Assange is not an "illegal combatant". He has actual rights. That means, you can't torture him or detain him indefinitely for no reason. Fancy that, huh?

top topics

join