It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France is our biggest ally, declares Obama: President's blow to Special Relationship with Britain

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Is it just me,or are they trying to piss everyone off lately?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
www.whitehouse.gov...

We don’t have a stronger friend and a stronger ally than Nicolas Sarkozy and the French people. We have cooperated over the last several years on dealing with a global economic crisis, dealing with the challenges of terrorism, dealing with a range of geopolitical issues from the Middle East to Iran to Afghanistan. And I’ve always found Nicolas to be an outstanding partner and an outstanding friend to the American people, as well as a leader on the world stage.

And so in our discussions, with the French in the lead both at the G8 and the G20 this year, we discussed how we can coordinate our agendas to make sure that we are as productive as possible in delivering the kinds of reforms and follow-through that will result in prosperity for peoples around the globe.

All of the above is the official WH transcript from the speeches and well as a link to the full text.
My guess is financial, perhaps he is cementing Sarkozy's vote on something we are no privy to.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalSea
A tactful move on Obama's part. He is definitely after something, the question is: what do the French have to offer that Obama wants so badly?

Maybe discount tickets to the Louvre?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Don't forget; Sarkozy is an emporer without clothing.....but skincare and makeup is plentiful when you have friends like the L'Oreal heiress. It's obvious Sarkozy loves no one but himself but I can say the same about his wife Carla Bruni. The two are probably the most perfect couple in the world.

I'd be disappointed Prince William invites this bozo to their wedding; who needs enemies when you have friends like Sarkozy!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Yeah...lets see how that relationship holds up when American select their next military target, we all know the french have a nasty habbit of cowardice in the face of adversity and inaction at important moments.

It's good that the UK distance themselves from the US in terms of "special relationships" and we focus on more euro centric cooperation.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
France did support the war of independence. FWIK, the US wouldn't have won without its help.

I'm not surprised Obama said this. The wikileaks memo said our state dept doesn't think highly of David Cameron. Obama gets a long better with Sarkozy. Just wait for a new president and it will be business as usual.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I wouldn't worry about what Obama say's I don't think he will be in power after the next election anyway.
And judging by this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... he doesn't seem to speak for his fellow country men.
I mean who can rely on the French in a time of crisis? everyone know's they are a bunch of cheese munching surrender monkeys.
Perhaps he fancies a bit of wife swapping, Carla bruni sarkozy best day's might be behind her but you wouldn't say no would you.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Roguesheep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Roguesheep

I am a Brit living in France with a French wife. The Grand Imperial Leader "Uncle Nic" is at his lowest in the ratings. He does not have the people's interests at heart and will certainly not be voted in again (let's hope the next president is not Le Penn) Ouch!!!.

It is no secret that Nic is totally pro USA and pro Obama, and I think that has a lot to do with the speech. However, beware. Uncle Nic is also getting into bed with the Chineese. This man is not to be trusted.

You even see his influence on the media. As the French Government control the media, there is not one single programme, news, chat show or even game show, where his name is not mentioned within the first ten minutes of airing.

Keep an eye on "Old Nic" he is watching.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I know alot of people in many different countries and so far the americans have pissed them all off, not just the british haha, even us canadians don't like them and they are our neighbours. The scariest part is that all my friends from across the border in the states, at least in the north west, don't seem to care or have a "what can we do about it" attitude to thier own government.
edit on 12-1-2011 by brokenbullet56 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2011 by brokenbullet56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I think its sad also that Australia has supported the US is every major war and always been there as an unconditional ally in everything America has done and asked of them without asking or expecting anything in return, which has been acknowledged by many previous US presidents, yet when Obama stepped into the role, he refused to call Australia until a mountain of other countries were called first including Indonesia, and has rudely canceled his planned visits on 3 occasions.

He seems to have a beef with the Aussies or something.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

I am a Brit living in France with a French wife. The Grand Imperial Leader "Uncle Nic" is at his lowest in the ratings. He does not have the people's interests at heart and will certainly not be voted in again (let's hope the next president is not Le Penn) Ouch!!!.

It is no secret that Nic is totally pro USA and pro Obama, and I think that has a lot to do with the speech. However, beware. Uncle Nic is also getting into bed with the Chineese. This man is not to be trusted.

You even see his influence on the media. As the French Government control the media, there is not one single programme, news, chat show or even game show, where his name is not mentioned within the first ten minutes of airing.

Keep an eye on "Old Nic" he is watching.

Do any of our politicians have the interest of the people at heart?. (unless your rich and powerful)
Sarkozy seem's to have a bit of a Napoleon complex or short man syndrome going on perhaps that's why he has to control the media perception of him.
As for Le Penn he's run for president five times I believe, so I don't think he's going to get in unless race relations in France are at a low.
I know their some trouble a few years back concerning racial issues but I haven't heard anything lately.
What is the atmosphere like now about this issue? Has it got better?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Not really. The trouble is, these days, the Le Penn camp is becoming a little more popular. You are dead right about Nic though. Plus, like Bony, he is not really of French decent.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I may be wrong but wasnt the main reason that the States relationship with Frace cooled off was because France refused to support the invasion of Iraq. If so, in hindsight it is difficult to criticise them for that.

However France (fairly or unfairly) have gained a reputation for going AWOL when a bit of backbone is needed.

I take Obama's speech with a pinch of salt. Who's to say that he didnt have a telephone chat with David Cameron on the flight over and say: -

" Hi Dave. Listen, I'm off on a trip to see that Sarkosy bloke and I'm going to tell him in front of the media that France are Americas closest allies. But dont worry - Then im going to ask him a few weeks later to show some backbone and prove it'. It's about time the French stepped up to the plate. Just wanted you to know that you are our best mates really. See ya"....
edit on 12-1-2011 by eyestotheskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I didt know ATS was so full of petty people. Frankly if you think this is a reason to become insulting and start spreading racist bigotry you're the cause of the bad state this world is in. ( this is my reply to all the racist post i saw) Of course its strange obama would call France the biggest ally of the US. But i think it has more to do with Obama not thinking about what he said and trying to crawl up Sarkozys ass.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudtobeEnglish

Withdraw all British troops from conflicts instigated by the US, demand the immediate withdrawal from Britain of all US military personnel/equipment, increase visa regulations for US citizens and start deporting non-essential Americans living in our country. The yanks and the frogs are scum in equal measure.

WTF! people,as of me posting this,this nutjob has recieved 18 stars for this comment and still hasnt been kind enough to fill us in to why he believes the "yanks and frogs are scum"!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by HEroX

Actually, I tend to think that it is the other way around. I get the impression, from the French media, that it is Sarkozy that is doing all the running around.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

I think its great obama has clearly stated this, alot of politicians in the UK know there is no the special relationship like the media and others make out to be. I'm sorry but when it comes to america its all lob sided in there way or favour?
Mabe Britain is trying to distance itself from america slowly but bothsides won't admit it as it will cause friction to say the least and mabe some home truth will tossed about . I remember when william hague sated Britain to adopt a less "slavish" relationship with the US. Myself its been along time coming

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I have to admit that I have found Obamas behaviour and manipulations most interesting

He seems to be playing the anti-British card really well.. not that I care.. but it is interesting the way it is used to obfuscate the games that are being played.

And you might ask why France, why now? why would US and France be BFF

Well just think, the British nuclear weapons facilities have given US companies the space for decades to operate and develop the next gen weapons without congressional oversight. while we (in Britain) have done the same with developing next gen weapons in the US without Parliamentary oversight..

Twisting lots of treaties in the process....

and now we have UK/French military treaty that includes the French Nuclear weapons facilities..

Is France is now included in that game?? or is it fear that the US will be excluded from this game that Obama makes this move?

I don't know, but feel it is something like this that is at the heart of the move...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudtobeEnglish
Withdraw all British troops from conflicts instigated by the US, demand the immediate withdrawal from Britain of all US military personnel/equipment, increase visa regulations for US citizens and start deporting non-essential Americans living in our country. The yanks and the frogs are scum in equal measure.

I'm English and i think your views are horrible.

No offence but you don' represent England even slightly with that attitude. Pity you can't change your name to ''proud to be racist' - That would be more appropriate.

Cheers.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join