It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France is our biggest ally, declares Obama: President's blow to Special Relationship with Britain

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

That just sounds like journalism to me. Trying to get more audience through emotion.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This thread is why the world FAILS.......

Don't get me wrong m8 it's an interessting discussion going back and forth between everyone.

My problem is people are more worried about what someone is like because they stand on a piece of dirt that has a different colored flag than another piece of dirt...............

When i meet people across the world i wonder what the HUMAN BEING is like ....

As a Brit i do think we have a special relationship, i have so many gaming buds in the U.S it is weird

But like any 'Relationship' we love each other and sometimes the little things annoy the heck outta each other...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

ive lived in ENGLAND all my life i barely hear someone of my age say anything remotly nice about Usa, its all america is fat, america goverment is jank corrupt , they pester over and at nations, being 19 i feel this may be the new generation of england feeling we want nothing to do with america and feel we dont have much controll in what we get dragged into by the Usa, where as older generations seemed to love the u.s, also my generation has a lot to say with polatics and the change in laws, As a good point with a funny slogan on a page of face book is all we need to rally the protesters i spose england is a rather small country and we can all converse on london,

We shall always presure our goverment to do wot we want, rather than being pressured into doing wot the goverment wont, witch i fear is how america is being run,

not posted before so sorry if its a bit gash
brap

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ddwest
[m
I read your post three times just so I can assess what your thinking, what you know and the age you are at... so, your 19, you wanted to comment on this post. You dislike America because of politics. You think Britain is small and you think facebook will call on armies to bring down the government. I could ridicule you for your youthness, but...... i'm not going to and do you know why... you might not have the historical, political or even a maturity to grasp the modern world but in your innocence and freedom to speak, I will wish for you many years of learning. And it may possibly start here...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudtobeEnglish
Withdraw all British troops from conflicts instigated by the US, demand the immediate withdrawal from Britain of all US military personnel/equipment, increase visa regulations for US citizens and start deporting non-essential Americans living in our country. The yanks and the frogs are scum in equal measure.

I have to say that I am quite shocked at that. That was utterly foul-mouthed and racist. Speaking like that does not make us English any better than the so called 'yanks and frogs.'

If everything was to believed in the papers then we would all live in a very scary world. Obama could be looking at a new defence strategy with strategic shields in place between the middle east and Britain/America. We just don't know.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I would like to apologize to our British cousins.

The problem with giving stupid people the right to vote will, at times, give you an Obama.

As an American, part of the so-called Silent Majority, let me assure you that France is not our greatest ally.

In the words of George Patton, "I much rather have a German Division in front of me than a French Division behind me."

The primary war accomplishment in WWII was their National White Flag factory.

Our President is the result of many selectively ignorant, uneducated, biased, unknowing and unproductive citizens, and he is representative of those who elected him - being a perfect mirror opposite - He's an intellectual elitist born of privilege and academia - a man who's never, ever even had a real job - never had to make a living.

We know who our friends are - our President - if you look closely at his friends - you don't want to be his friend.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ddwest

What you and your buddies need to realize is that most Americans don't want to be in these wars either.

You talk about reforming your government, well try to imagine how many people over here are sick and tired and would like the same.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

The primary war accomplishment in WWII was their National White Flag factory.

Thats some funny sh#t!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
In the words of George Patton, "I much rather have a German Division in front of me than a French Division behind me."

Just for fun and because this thread is sad, I call you out on this. Can you remind me on which occasion did Patton say that ?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think the courtship between the USA and the Britain has become a very expensive one for the Brits and now they have to consider a more austere future it will impact the opportunity for back seat fumbles between the lovebirds. Having to cut back on the cosy dinner dates and flowers, its only natural that Obama is looking for someone who will treat him in the manner he is accustomed to.
From broken Britain to not badly off France...... whats a girl to do.
However... for all the talk of French troops helping the revolutionaries, Britain has stood and fought alongside their American friends on many occasions, (and unofficially still do) and from the comments on this and other related threads this has been acknowledged.
Besides, the CIA and MI5 have too much fun together. Will the CIA share the same enthusiasm as POTUS, ...hmmm. Lets not also forget the Aussies and NZeders and their contribution to helping the USA to police the world.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
My apologies, but I cannot recall.

Because it was such a simple, to-the-point quote, I have no problem reciting it though.

Patton wasn't an admirer of DeGaulle, who was a complete ***. DeGaulle, in the weeks leading up to the D-Day invasion, demanded to be put in charge of the operation, as it was his nation that was to be invaded.

He had no army, no navy, no guns, no men, with over half the country as collaborators.

The Allied HIgh Command told DeGaulle if he sat very quietly in the back of the room, he could stay.

He never forgave America and Britain for those slights - and history will verify that.

No, Britain has always - well since about 1814 - has been our good friends.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

My apologies, but I cannot recall.

Because it was such a simple, to-the-point quote, I have no problem reciting it though.

You don't recall ? And what if it is a fabrication that you are believing and repeating unknowingly ?
Don't you want to find out ?
I presume you don't want people telling you what to believe, am I right ?
Despite being popular and well-known if this quote is an invention, all those who believe it are told what to believe by the originator who could be anyone, a former CIA director for example.
You know the quote, you can easily search. If you can't find, I'll help.

Patton wasn't an admirer of DeGaulle, who was a complete ***. DeGaulle, in the weeks leading up to the D-Day invasion, demanded to be put in charge of the operation, as it was his nation that was to be invaded.

He had no army, no navy, no guns, no men, with over half the country as collaborators.

The Allied HIgh Command told DeGaulle if he sat very quietly in the back of the room, he could stay.

He never forgave America and Britain for those slights - and history will verify that.

Patton wasn't an admirer of De Gaulle ? Do you recall where you've heard this one ? I don't know if they ever met. Patton died in 45, his death is a conspiracy theory. It's a pity we don't have a memoir from this exceptional man.
He probably wasn't an admirer of De Gaulle, why should he ? But did he dislike him ? What for ? They shared the same views that mobile warfare would revolutionize the battlefields. They had at least one thing in common.

De Gaulle wasn't kept informed of the landing preparation. He kept asking for French units lead by French officers to participate in the invasion alongside the other units. He was told the final date for D-day only 2 days before the operation started. He could hardly have asked to be put in charge of the operation as you claim. He wanted French soldiers and officers to fight in the liberation of the motherland and he was obstructed to obtain it mainly by the British. So only 500 French paratroopers participate in the landing within the SAS and 200 marines with Brits and Canadians at Sword Beach.
De Gaulle wasn't sat quietly in the back of the room, he wasn't invited in the room. He wasn't recognized as a political force and was overlooked. The US and the UK had planned to administer France themselves (search AMGOT) so they had to leave the French out of the landing. De Gaulle managed to stop the implement of an AMGOT in France and he is portrayed in what is now american and british psyches as a complete ***.

Edit : The point is not to fight over this. The point is that we are conditioned puppets taught what to think, what to believe and how to behave ourselves. We will believe without questions what fits the general pattern we were socially conditioned to accept as the truth.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Manouche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You Americans need the Poms and us Aussies More than the French...
also whats a common french term?...ah **** it i give up

edit on 12/1/2011 by JarredAus because: to remove

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JarredAus

We need Poms and Aussies?

Dear God, man! Britain's first batch of trouble-makers were sent to what is now the US. When we accumulated enough trouble-makers to acquire our independence, Britain's constant generation of trouble makers required them be sent to other arenas.

Thus, you Poms and Aussies.

Troublemakers, more troublemakers, and even more troublemakers.

A nice kit, eh?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

reply to post by JarredAus

We need Poms and Aussies?

Dear God, man! Britain's first batch of trouble-makers were sent to what is now the US. When we accumulated enough trouble-makers to acquire our independence, Britain's constant generation of trouble makers required them be sent to other arenas.

Thus, you Poms and Aussies.

Troublemakers, more troublemakers, and even more troublemakers.

A nice kit, eh?

Yeah

Other folks start the trouble

We finish it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

manouche, I strongly suspect you're of French origin.

DeGaulle wanted the French to lead the assault, by your own words? That takes balls.

He was going to have to hitch a ride with the Brits and Americans on British and American ships.

Keep in mind, the French navy was sunk by the Brits to keep them from assisting the Nazis.

Look, I know this performance in WWII is a sore spot with French, but it's not our American fault. No more than Agincourt is the fault of our British cousins. I mean, even the Italians defeated the French.

It's true they ran up the score, but after all, they'd had their way home blocked.

France didn't want to be part of NATO for - forever. Wanted their own national determination because they couldn't stomach the idea of their forces . . . you know what - I don't need to pick at these sore spots. Just don't reply giving more French excuses and we won't have to do this.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Hope you are enjoying your little dialogue with your new bff.

Fun huh?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
The French HATE America!

The French actually hate the French.

I recalled reading this article a few years back. 44% of French do not like themselves.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Weeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, historically the French were America's best ally. Imagine the 2nd War for Independence if the Brits didn't have to battle Napoleon at the same time as the 1812 war.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yes, it was a Frenchman who financed our war against the British, it was a French pirate who helped us, it was a Frenchman who selected the site of the New Orleans battle, and there were a lot of Frenchmen stranded in New Orleans who also fought in the battle.

And we're grateful.

At the same time, everyone did what was best for them at the moment.

But at the end of the day, Britain would have never been able to conquer the new nation of the United States, help or no help.

Too much country, too many independents to keep that from happening again.

new topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join