It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube at it again.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Now these utter b*stards require you to have a google account, and to link it up with youtube, for you to use youtube at all. I am infuriated with this, and whilst i have a googlemail account, I find it an absolute liberty, that i have no other option open to me to view youtube. I can't even close myyoutube account, as I now will, becasue now I can't sign in to it. i truly hope that there's a mass exodus away from youtube. This has to be a privacy issue, I don't want my email account linked with some random video site, especially one which harvests information on you. Now to harvest that information and tie it up to your emails.

Is this way OTT or am i being a wuss?

(either way, i will be deleating my youtube account as soon as it lets me)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I hate that too. They keep asking me to link my account every time I sign in to youtube, but I never do.
When you sign in and it asks you to link your accounts, just click on the red Youtube logo at the top/left of the page. This will take you to your homepage. Works for me anyway.

Just seems like they're trying to link all peoples online activity together. Do not do that. Keep all sites you log in to separate, with different user names.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Please add some links to back up your Thread

Yeah, Its the fault of google, not youtube, its the fact that google want you to their use their service in order to view their content or something stupid along those lines

edit on 11/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

Please add some links to back up your Thread

Yeah, Its the fault of google, not youtube, its the fact that google want you to their use their service in order to view their content or something stupid along those lines

edit on 11/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)
www.youtube.com

Did you really need a link for it?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You do know that google and youtube are the same thing? Funny threads sometimes here

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

God damn right,i havent been able to access my youtube account for months!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I do know they're the same, so why do they need to hook the site i watch videos to, to my email. I really don't want to. That sounds dodgy as hell, it sounds like a phishing scam to me. I know they're dodgy, data mining scummy toerags, but I think this is a step too far, even for them. And as soon as I can figure out how to log in to it (get "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete" at the moment, as the account was set up years ago on an old googlemail account which I no longer have the means of accses to)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It's ridiculous. Even more ridiculous, is if you have more than one gmail account.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have a YouTube account. I do not use Gmail. I do not have my YT account associated with Gmail.
If the screen comes up to "link" you can opt out by chosing:

Skip for now (we'll remind you again later)

Skip and carry on.

Much ado about nothing me thinks.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yep i noticed this too, my google account is now sort of automated with youtube?
when i go to youtube the fields of user account info is already in putted.
But i did have 2 separate user names but not any more they took the liberty
of just grabbing my DATA and putting 2+2 together from my IP i guess.
so Google and Youtube are one & the same company.
And may i also add Ebay seems to do the same?

This stinks of DATA MINING.
mind you i always took it as a given that there was ZERO web privacy
this only backs up my thoughts.
so wrong when your not on a watch list(but then how do you tell if your not!)
edit on 11/1/2011 by stealthyaroura because: stinks of data mining

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yeah I had real issues with this today.... almost lost everything.
Had to go and "Unlink" accounts...

FFS!!

Why do they have to do this.... I don't even have a gmail account.... for some reason they have some random google account as my email?

Even though I get alerts to my proper email account.

This is really annoying.

I couldn't even get to my videos or anything earlier.... was worried I'd lose almost 5 years of stuff.

Why do people always have to mess crap up and change things around.... why not leave it alone.

*cough*

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Tell me about it . As of today I can no longer access my ytube account because the email they have got for me does not exist anymore and I have forgotten the password. All they can do is send the password to my old non existent email which I cant read... Genius.
edit on 11-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Skip and carry on.

Yeah this didn't work earlier.... kept taking me back to the "link accounts" page, like I'd skipped one too many times.

Usually just skipping works...

It's gonna get to the point where you can't skip.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
Tell me about it . As of today I can no longer access my ytube account because the email they have got for me does not exist anymore and I have forgotten the password. All they can do is send the password to my old non existent email which I cant read... Genius.

This is exactly how most login sites work. Including this one. Genious indeed.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

You said it man!

edit on 11/1/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

Liam and me, we're gonna **** you up.

edit on 11/1/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just accept that if you use the net your going to have to do this, and they will be storing info on your account.

Just imagine how big there back up servers must be, and i still say google is the american military. Thats why i think it got so big, its part of that industrial complex rubbish, where they want to run everything.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Solution found:

There is an option that allows you to Unlink google and youtube accounts in your youtube account settings.

Problem was, at one point, Youtube threatened to stop allowing access to people unless you signed in and merged your google account. Then that threat came true according to my memory, and you were forced to merge. I do believe this was based on cookies. That was awhile ago now. I've since been wondering if we could unlink the accounts - turns out we can! Probably due to customer demand.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Yes but when I set up a google account ages ago on another computer ( i don't even remember doing it) I wasn't expecting them to link it to my YouTube account which they have now done whether I like it or not. I know my youtube password I don't know or cant remember the password I used to set up a google account that was so long ago that the email that was with freeserve no longer exists . I can still get onto it with my nokia 5800 so all is not lost YET.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I have a YouTube account. I do not use Gmail. I do not have my YT account associated with Gmail.
If the screen comes up to "link" you can opt out by chosing:

Skip and carry on.

only for so long though,,,,, eventually it says you'll be terminated/canceled or something similar,,,, i forget but i broke down 2 months ago and linked them because i have 500 favorites i'd hate to lose and search for again

maybe a vailed threat but i didn't take the chance,,,, netflix does the same threats with upgraded T&C agreements,,,, but they evntually disappear

top topics

<<   2 >>

join