It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old-fashioned Ass-Kicking or Sensitive Suicide-line: Passing School?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
In SA the Matric (Grade 12) results have just been made known, and many critics accuse them of being doctored.
Apparently they reduce the marks of certain schools, and increase them for others along racial lines.
Some teachers in the media today talk of a "bell curve" adjustment (whatever that means).
www.iol.co.za...

In any case, the media has been filled with adverts and stories about unsuccessful students (and 100 schools didn't pass a single candidate - I figured that was impossible, they obviously didn't even show up).
The message on TV, radio and media is that one can re-write subjects, and many autobiographies of people who never got Matric. Well, our President Zuma had Standard 6 (Matric was Std. 12).

But some, both black and white parents, are saying we are encouraging failure with this "gentle" approach.
It served many generations well to know that a clip around the ears, or other corporal punishment encouraged success.
Why should we nurture failure (or "delayed success") nowadays?
Shouldn't we go back to: "If you don't pass; we'll kick your ass?"

It seems that nowadays there is more onus upon, and attention for the failures.
It's political correctness gone crazy!

edit on 11-1-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Human beings will never do anything for the most part unless they are forced. Thats why you have forced schooling and having to get jobs etc...

Most people would do nothing with there lifes unless forced and from early age.

Thats why the freemasons talk about the light and how it saved humans from a vindictive god, who would of just let them live.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Yes, let's beat children who have learning disabilities or are having a hard time with the lessons. Because I know that when I'm stressed out I do sooo much better on tests.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

Well, one would hope that by the last year of schooling kids with true disabilities are treated.
But, depending on the disability, most of them didn't exist 20 years ago.
The vast majority of people passed, and made sure that they passed.
But yeah, the approach to the system then was rather heartless.
I cannot defend it.
I'm just asking?

At least we had people who could spell their own name...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Actually, I'm really wondering: how does this all work in the US and other countries?
In US programs on TV - like Jerry Springer or on various prisons - I always hear people talking about being "in school" (usually to great applause).
What exactly do they mean?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

Thats not what i mean. I reckon nearly all people if left to themselves would not do anything with there lifes.

Thats why we have an imposed system of schooling.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

But don't we also get a message these days: Fame is instant and comes from being gorgeous (The Kardashians), working for money destroys the planet (well, some truth), Affirmative Action (or lack there-of) governs my future in any case?
The best performers in SA have got to leave eventually.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Oh, let me leave the political correctness:
We are rewarding laziness and apathy.
There you have it!

If you fail, you get some slaps and you go back!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

It was so revealing: I saw episodes of The World's Strictest Parents.
They take unruly British teens into a strict foreign environment.
What is worse: Western teens with good math grades want to become actors, or have no ambition whatsoever.
They were very surprised at how communities in India or Ghana were studying hard for hours every day, and they saw their goals as lawyers, doctors and directors.
White America or Europe will end up an underclass, and power is already shifting.
It was a HUGE wake-up call for me!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Perhaps, in countries with huge slums the pressure is always there to keep working.
One has a pretty good example of the alternative.

new topics

top topics

join