It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Grabbing Congress Critters Come Out of Woodwork After Giffords Shooting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

So you're for banning most types of rifle ammunition, since they will easily pass through anything less than a level IV vest?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

And those of us who served, swore to protect the constitution from enemies both foreign and domestic. I think Congress infringing on my rights would be labeled a " domestic " enemy!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

What part of 'overtired' did you not get? It's 6am here ffs i've been up all bloody night worried sick about relatives in the Queensland floods if you give a toss about that at all.

Or is reading not YOUR strongest suit?

link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I agree those clips shouldn't be on the market. Why would anyone argue that. I also support gun owners, but I don't think people need things like that, or armor piercing rounds.

Any hunting rifle could pierce body armor.

You want to ban all those?

They are called magazines, not clips.

Try not to be so ignorant on a topic when you make the conscious choice to talk about it.

link   
www.gun-control-network.org...

The raw data showed that one in three U.S. households had a firearm, and unadjusted results showed a strong relation between homes with a gun and rates of firearm homicide victimization for women, but not for men. When the data was adjusted for all the control variables, an extremely strong correlation was found between states with the highest levels of homes with firearms and the number of firearm-related homicides. Indeed, states in the top 25 percent of household firearm ownership had firearm-related homicide rates that were 114 percent greater than states that had household firearm ownership in the bottom 25 percent. Overall homicide rates were a full 60 percent higher in the same states.

source

Rates of homicide, suicide and household gun ownership in 14 countries.
=========================================================================
Rate per 100,000
England/
Wales .67 .08 8.61 .38 .47
Finland 2.96 .74 25.35 5.43 2.32
France 1.25 .55 22.30 4.93 2.26
Holland 1.18 .27 11.72 .28 .19
N. Ireland 4.66 3.55 8.27 1.18 .84
Norway 1.21 .36 14.27 3.87 3.20
Scotland 1.63 .11 10.51 .69 .47
Spain 1.37 .38 6.45 .45 1.31
Switzerland 1.17 .46 24.45 5.74 2.72
USA 7.59 4.46 12.40 7.28 4.80
West Germany 1.21 .20 20.37 1.38 .89

source

* In one year, 31,224 people died from gun violence and 66,769 people survived gun injuries (National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC)). That includes:

o 12,632 people murdered and 44,466 people shot in an attack.

o 17,352 people who killed themselves and 3,031 people who survived a suicide attempt with a gun.

o 613 people who were killed unintentionally and 18,610 who were shot unintentionally but survived.

o You can see tables on gun deaths here: 1) annual gun deaths and gun death rates by age and intent and by race/ethnicity, 2) ranked state gun death rates, and 3) trends in gun deaths and gun death rates by intent.

o Often, we recall the horrific mass shootings where an unstable or perturbed individual opens fire and kills or injures people using powerful semiautomatic weapons. We have kept track of these all-too-common incidents in an interactive map and chronological lists: mass shootings, school shootings, and assault weapon shootings.

* Over a million people have been killed with guns in the United States since 1968, when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated (Childrens’ Defense Fund, p. 20).

* U.S. homicide rates are 6.9 times higher than rates in 22 other populous high-income countries combined, despite similar non-lethal crime and violence rates. The firearm homicide rate in the U.S. is 19.5 times higher (Richardson, p.1).

* Among 23 populous, high-income countries, 80% of all firearm deaths occurred in the United States (Richardson, p. 1).

* Gun violence impacts society in countless ways: medical costs, costs of the criminal justice system, security precautions such as metal detectors, and reductions in quality of life because of fear of gun violence. These impacts are estimated to cost U.S. citizens $100 billion annually (Cook, 2000).

DID YOU KNOW? Where there are more guns, there are more gun deaths.

* An estimated 41% of gun-related homicides and 94% of gun-related suicides would not occur under the same circumstances had no guns been present (Wiebe, p. 780).

* Higher household gun ownership correlates with higher rates of homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings (Harvard Injury Control Center).

* Keeping a firearm in the home increases the risk of suicide by a factor of 3 to 5 and increases the risk of suicide with a firearm by a factor of 17 (Kellermann, 1992, p. 467; Wiebe, p. 771).

* Keeping a firearm in the home increases the risk of homicide by a factor of 3 (Kellermann, 1993, p. 1084).

DID YOU KNOW? On the whole, guns are more likely to raise the risk of injury than to confer protection.

* A gun is 22 times more likely to be used in a completed or attempted suicide, criminal assault or homicide, or unintentional shooting death or injury than to be used in a self-defense shooting. (Kellermann, 1998, p. 263).

* Guns are used to intimidate and threaten 4 to 6 times more often than they are used to thwart crime (Hemenway, p. 269).

* Every year there are only about 200 legally justified self-defense homicides by private citizens (FBI, Expanded Homicide Data, Table 15) compared with over 30,000 gun deaths (NCIPC).

* A 2009 study found that people in possession of a gun are 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault (Branas).

DID YOU KNOW? Assaults and suicide attempts with firearms are much more likely to be fatal than those perpetrated with less lethal weapons or means. Removing guns saves lives.

* There are five times as many deaths from gun assaults as from knife assaults, where the rates of assault with knives and with guns are similar (Zimring, p. 199).

* More than 90 percent of suicide attempts with a gun are fatal (Miller, 2004, p. 626). In comparison, only 3 percent of attempts with drugs or cutting are fatal (Miller, 2004, p. 626).

DID YOU KNOW? Guns can be sold in the United States without a background check to screen out criminals or the mentally ill.

* It is estimated that over forty percent of gun acquisitions occur in the secondary market. That means that they happen without a Brady background check at a federally licensed dealer (Cook, p. 26).

* Sales from federal firearm licensees (FFLs) require a background check. Sales between individuals, under federal law, do not require a background check. This means that felons can “lie and buy” at gun shows and other places where guns are readily available.

source

More guns = more gun crime, QED.

Now please quote the relevant biible passage that gives people the god given right to own high powered weapons whose only purpose is to kill.
edit on 11/1/2011 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I agree. Not one response to the op mentioned that he wanted the clips banned. Im going to reread the link, but I
think he said the clips not the firearms.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Then go to bed, put another shrimp on the barbie when its time to get up~

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Reply to post by Helig

Actually no. Rights are inherent. Not given to us by the government, as laws are. Therefore no one can take them away.

Reread the founding documents again.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
All i gotta say to you wack jobs is.

Man they are coming for your guns!

What you gonna do?

lol

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Derp, yessir derp.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Originally posted by TreadUpon
The problem with these libs is that they don't understand that our rights are God given! They prefer not to believe in a higher power than the government. That's why we have all these inane "debates" about our rights. We don't have any rights to commodities (healthcare, education, etc), only rights inherent to being human (life, liberty, free pursuits). They prefer a wienie lawyer turned legislator whittle our freedom down to a nub.

God given rights...

m'kay.

Care to point out the relevant bible passage?

Yeah, why bother with facts when you can make something up

More guns = more gun crime.
It's that simple.

Please lets leave God out of it!!

just to restate the equation.

More guns owned by criminals = more gun crime - there I knew something was missing.

The criminals make crime. Later on I shall show the sad fate awaiting American law abiding gun entheusiasts.

I am not a rightist. I do not see this as a right/left issue. When should the right have any monopoly on guns?

edit on 11-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by tiger5 because: typo/ add a sentence

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
No debate.

We have the right to any and all weapons we'd like, and we don't need a concealed carry permit, or a permit whatsoever - those permit laws violate the constitution. You can not grant me permission to exercise a right.

That means the following are all legal: a knife, a rifle, a glock, a machine gun, a grenade, a bomb, and yes, a nuclear weapon, unless someone would like to amend the amendment to explicitly state that certain items are not allowed.

If I'm wrong let me know.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

In 1939 the Supreme Court ruled that firearms possed by the citizen could only be military style weapons. So large ammo mags and what nots are what we are suppose to have.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Oh no you didnt?

You actually used a source issued by the Brady campaign as your basis of arguments?

the Brady Campaign exploited the incident to attack the right of Americans to own firearms

You do realize that the Brady campaign were an organization to abolish the 2nd Amendment right? They also preached their liberal propaganda, so your source of " factual " statistics by a factually known Liberal activist group is hardly legitimate.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5

Originally posted by budski

Originally posted by TreadUpon
The problem with these libs is that they don't understand that our rights are God given! They prefer not to believe in a higher power than the government. That's why we have all these inane "debates" about our rights. We don't have any rights to commodities (healthcare, education, etc), only rights inherent to being human (life, liberty, free pursuits). They prefer a wienie lawyer turned legislator whittle our freedom down to a nub.

God given rights...

m'kay.

Care to point out the relevant bible passage?

Yeah, why bother with facts when you can make something up

More guns = more gun crime.
It's that simple.

Please lets leave God out of it!!

just to restate the equation. More gunsowned by criminals = more gun crime. There I knew something was missing. The criminals make crime. Later on I shall show the sad fate awaiting American law abiding gun entheusiasts.

I tell you what, let's NOT leave god out of it, not when every time gun control is mentioned, some bible thumper starts going on about his god given rights as though god were a fact rather than a belief system perpetuated to control the masses.

Let's also not forget that the 2nd amendment reads "militia" not "citizen"

Let's also not forget that the US has one of the highest murder rates in the western world, one of the highest prison rates in the world, and is one of the very few developed countries to cling to the death penalty.

more guns = more gun crime, as posted previously, with facts and sources to back this up.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Of course more guns = more gun crime.

Just like more chainsaws = more chainsaw incidents.

Just like more cars = more crimes committed with cars.

I think the point would be to eliminate crime, not just gun crimes. Unless you're saying murders and other violent acts committed with "lesser" weapons are not as vicious, important, or worthy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Our Rights as Americans are not Given to us by the Government they are Given to US BY GOD.
Please re-read the Declaration of Independence, this will clear up that the American Citizen is a Freeman subject only to the Creator, not the Government as many today wish us to be.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

www.law.cornell.edu...

§ 311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

So, we gather from this that "The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and under 45 years of age who are citizens of the United States."

Is your contention that females should not be allowed to possess firearms?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

You do know the militia are in fact the people right?

Try to leave ignorance out of this debate.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I can make links too
edit on 1/11/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join