It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Coalition Deaths Reach 1,000 in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
The official number of Coalition military deaths since the start of the war in Iraq reached 1,000 today when an American soldier died in Baghdad. This number includes 880 US Military fatalities, but does not include any civilians who have been killed.

CNN
The death brings coalition deaths -- both hostile and non-hostile -- since the start of the war to 1,000. U.S. military deaths now total 880, with 657 of them by hostile fire.

The estimated number of Coalition civilian deaths is 105, though there is no official count.

The number of wounded US Military personnel is officially listed at 5,394 as of June 26, 2004. Some reports place the number as high as 11-22,000. extra DIV

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Any count on the amount of deaths of innocent Iraqi civilians?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by gm0n3y

I can assure you it would be a lot less than the 500,000 Iraqi children dead because of the past sanctions the UN put on Iraq. It would have happened again, if there hadn't been a war.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
how many enemy have been killed by coalition forces, hmmmmm, i say bring 'em on, right there in Iraq, we will be happy to kill as many as wish to die at the hands of coalition forces.

here's an article.......... apnews.myway.com... ........ that claims the following..........And in April alone, U.S. forces killed as many as 4,000 people, the military official said, including Sunni insurgents and Shiite militiamen fighting under the banner of a radical cleric.

now, that does say 4000 in one month alone, so, the figure has to be quite substantial over the course of the war, thus far.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Does anyone know the actually number of casulty? Or does anyone care?

Do you think the "official number" is the same as the "actual number"?

In wars, casualty should include death and wounded (at least those lost a limb or two).

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I beleive the post is about US casualties, right? War is hell, and there will be civilian casualties. This is a fact. I can empathize with you in the fact that it is sad, but it is not happening in my country so I can only sympathize with the families of the killed and wounded soldiers here in America who fight to keep these atrocities from occuring in our streets. Keep count of our boys and help them, or please move to Iraq/Gaza/Afghanistan and do some volunteer work in a hospital to cure the guilt you fee lfor the death of those innocent civilians.
Better yet, help out your local homeless shelter.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
During a war you cannot expect to be given any factual infomation regarding the death toll, it just wont happen. The number of Iraqi dead is very large but the U.S isn't counting which I believe is against the geneva convention or something right? Many people have died, in the years after this war and this administration it will all come out.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
The number of Iraqi dead is very large but the U.S isn't counting which I believe is against the geneva convention or something right?

What are you saying?
What's against the geneva convention?
Counting deaths or not counting deaths?

The U.S. is not obligated to count Iraqi deaths and I'm not sure if anything about that is even mentioned in the GC.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
"but it is not happening in my country so I can only sympathize with the families of the killed and wounded soldiers here in America who fight to keep these atrocities from occuring in our streets. "

I believe you are Jew and in Israel. How convenient you want US soldier die for you and your country? How many more you want?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
The number of Iraqi dead is very large but the U.S isn't counting which I believe is against the geneva convention or something right?

Its not a Geneva convention thing. i think that the US military learned that it was not wise to tally up a body count like they did in Vietnam. Its bad PR. Please do not take this to me that I am trivalizing the Iraqi dead

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
1000 dead may not seem alot, but what about the injured soldiers, probably at least 5,000 according to the military, but other reports suggest a much greater number due to non combat related injuries.
www.antiwar.com...

iraqi civilian body count according to this site is between 11,164 and 13,118
www.iraqbodycount.net...

war is bad on a whole, but some feel that as long as there is a 10:1 or greater ratio of iraqi to coalition deaths, then it's okay. it's a sad state of the world that we live in.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

As Worldwatcher says, www.iraqbodycount.net gives a fairly reliable tally. While we in America may not be aware of it, the Arab world certainly is aware of every single death.

I've seen slightly higher figures on the combat related injuries.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think it important to keep things in perspective, lets look at the deaths from WW2..........

www.infoplease.com...

and at approximate current coalition death rates, 43 years must pass before reaching the total U.S. casualties in Vietnam........

www.infoplease.com...

Heck, 43,000 people are killed in auto accidents in the US per year, that's 826 per WEEK.........

www.onlinelawyersource.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
no offense meant smokenmirrors, but I dislike it when people try to compare current war number to previous wars.

I would hope, that Humanity has progressed as a whole so that those type numbers won't ever be repeated again. As time passes and technology increases, it should be only logical that the numbers of death be significantly less than before.

so that shouldn't be an issue when talking about war in 2004, but that is just my opinon.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
www.militarycity.com...

800 plus service men and women...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
No offense taken, worldwatcher. It is important, however, when one speaks of numbers, to gain perspective, and one way to gain perspective is through comparison, that is all. As for the topic of whether Humanity has progressed, haha, that is open to grand debate.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I agree we should not making comparisons to previous wars, such as WW2. I hope there is never another death toll such as that. Look at how many died in Russia alone or from bombings through Europe? however, it does put it in perspective

Now, back to the slander thrown at me about bieng Jewish. My god, is that all you've got. "Hey, he isn't sympathetic to the deaths or Arabs so he must be Jewish" uh, no. I am actually Irish,so don't get started with oppresion and loss of life through war or occupation, or religious persucution. Pick up a history book and check it out and maybe you can make better arguements than attacking someone based on belief.

and If I was Jewish, would it matter. We are speaking about "The death of American soldiers". I lost family in WW1, 2, and Vietnam. Proud Americans who fought and died so we can all sit here and type away and theorize how things should, could and hopefully will be.

We will never know the true total of lives lost, but we have a estimate (1000) and that enough should make us everyday remeber those we have lost.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by esdad71]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

As Worldwatcher says, www.iraqbodycount.net gives a fairly reliable tally. While we in America may not be aware of it, the Arab world certainly is aware of every single death. I've seen slightly higher figures on the combat related injuries.

Does that body count take into acount all the Iraqi on Iraqi terrorism?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
FredT, I believe the answer to your question is Yes.
I got this directly from the site

www.iraqbodycount.net...
This is a human security project to establish an independent and comprehensive public database of media-reported civilian deaths in Iraq resulting directly from military action by the USA and its allies. This database includes up to 7,350 deaths which resulted from coalition military action during the "major-combat" phase prior to May 1st 2003. In the current occupation phase the database includes all deaths which the Occupying Authority has a binding responsibility to prevent under the Geneva Conventions and Hague Regulations. This includes civilian deaths resulting from the breakdown in law and order, and deaths due to inadequate health care or sanitation. Results and totals are continually updated and made immediately available on this page and on various IBC counters which may be freely displayed on any website, where they will be automatically updated without further intervention. Casualty figures are derived solely from a comprehensive survey of online media reports. Where these sources report differing figures, the range (a minimum and a maximum) are given. All results are independently reviewed and error-checked by at least three members of the Iraq Body Count project team before publication.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So should we add to the death toll for American forces all the people who die who are not fighting overseas? Soldiers in the Ohio Nat'l guard who dies of heart attacks? or from eating poorly?

i am sorry for the death of any innocents' but they are currently living in a warzone that is not made any nicer by there own neighbors. Like I said, I have empathy for those lost in Iraq.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join