It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizonans Rally to Prevent Westboro Church Disruption of Shooting Victims' Funerals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Arizonans Rally to Prevent Westboro Church Disruption of Shooting Victims' Funerals

www.foxnews.com

Disgusted Arizona residents are locking arms to stop the Westboro Baptist Church from disrupting the funerals for victims of Saturday's shooting in Tucson, with bikers and others organizing a massive counter-protest and state lawmakers fast-tracking a bill to hamstring the so-called church.

The Kansas-based Westboro church is notorious for showing up at the funerals of dead soldiers and other high-profile gatherings wielding inflammatory anti-gay signs.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Will have to watch how this unfolds here in the near future. I am glad people are starting to join together and put these people in check just a shame it had to come to a tragedy such as this though. I know a lot of people have differing opinions on the Westboro free speech topic, but like I said we will have to keep an eye on this.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hope some biker dude gives one of these jesus freaks a beating!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Yeah pretty cool how the bikers are using their influence to support the families, just goes to show that not all stereotypes are what they seem. Good to see the people of this nation from different walks of life standing as one, it's what we need these days.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Usually bikers aren't bad people anywayz, its just when you*Snip* with their *Snip*your on the receiving end of a beating or worse..

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 1/11/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yay that they're rallying, but, again, boo that they're giving this much attention to this known and opportunistic whore or an organization.

(Did we really need a 4th or 5th thread about this topic? What would be wrong with adding this information to one or more of the existing topics? Sorry to be OCD about liking all my information about a topic in one place, but I do.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The church has a right to assemble, but clearly a funeral isnt exactly the best place to exercise that right.
If the church is doing this as some sort of PR stunt to gain attention to their cause, its a counter-productive stunt as the attention will be negative. let them kill their own hopes of anyone listening to them if they really want to.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Yay that they're rallying, but, again, boo that they're giving this much attention to this known and opportunistic whore or an organization.

(Did we really need a 4th or 5th thread about this topic? What would be wrong with adding this information to one or more of the existing topics? Sorry to be OCD about liking all my information about a topic in one place, but I do.

Sorry did a search and didn't see anything relating to this article, just differnt threads discussing the westboro thing as usual, nothing pertaining to the state passing legislation on the topic though??? Perhaps ATS needs to update their search functions, besides last time I checked the same topic posted in different forums was allowed? But seeing as you want to be the post or thread nazi here kindly let a mod know and it can be removed I promise I won't loose sleep over it just trying like many others to bring info to the front as it rolls in.
edit on 11-1-2011 by jaynkeel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It is a sad thing when "religious zealots" picket funerals to promote a particular viewpoint of their religion. When religious leaders prompt their congregations to "picket" funerals, they step-over a line of civility and are guilty of disturbing the peace.

If they do this, they should be arrested for disturbing the peace and are public nuisances. It would be different if they sat quietly under passive resistance, but this kind of zealous action inflames the entire public and is so opposite of Christianity and what Jesus stands-for.

I truly hope this church leader opens his eyes and realizes that doing this, at a child's funeral, is not only socially frowned-upon, the practice is "religious extremism."

With opposing factions building on both sides, it is unfortunate that people may become very emotional and injuries result from the emotional stress. When did compassion and good-sense die in America?

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 5:43-45).
edit on 11-1-2011 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

Your completly right about the church being as far from jesus as susej; although this being a conspiracy forum i wonder what the practice of making people 'Public Nuisances' could turn out when legislated. i.e how far will they run with this?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

No need to apologize at all. I tend to like having similar things lumped things together in one easy convenient place is all, and in my mind Tucson Shooting and the Westboro Pukes is the main topic with all these separate threads being just additional information or thoughts about said main topic. I just get cranky when I think I've posted in a thread and go back to check and find that it's yet another and yet another thread that appeared about the same topic and then can't find the original. Just me being...well OCD.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well all good then no worries!!! I know how that goes. Sorry for ranting myself.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Hope some biker dude gives one of these jesus freaks a beating!

Dont. That is exactly what they want. Then they sue and get funds to run that crap operation for decades to come.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I know I have gone a hundred different directions with my opinion over the last year dealing with the westboro church. I am pretty sure I am finally settled on my stance after weighing many different discussions and input from members here. I don't want to see the state or federal government making a law concerning the church group. I would rather it be left in the peoples hands like it is right now to stand up and do the right thing to not allow these nuts access to the grieving families. Because in the bigger scope of things I feel that is putting the weight of the situation on the publics shoulders something that in my feelings needs to be done from time to time in these modern days, to remind us all of the things in life that is more important. To bring us all together on something if you will.

top topics

join