It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adult Stem Cells Transfer Improves Heart Function

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
German researchers have found that injecting adult stem cells into the coronary artery that is supplying the damaged area of the heart. Those who recieved the injection showed some improvement in cardiac function

story.news.yahoo.com
LONDON (Reuters) - Adult stem cells taken from bone marrow can improve heart function in patients who have suffered a heart attack, German researchers said on Friday.

Yahoo! Health
Have questions about your health?
Find answers here.

Stem cells are master cells that can develop into specialized cells. They hold the promise of treating a range of illnesses such as Alzheimer's, diabetes and heart disease.

But their use is controversial because the most promising stem cells are derived from human embryos.

Dr Helmut Drexler, of the Medical University of Hannover in Germany, used adult stem cells from bone marrow of heart-attack patients to see if they could improve heart function.

"Our results lend support to the concept that ... bone-marrow cells can be used to enhance ... functional recovery in patients," he said in a report in The Lancet medical journal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Once again the benifits of stem cell research are on the forefront. However, due to pressure from religious zealots, the US government is refusing to fund or support Stem Cell research. We are in rapid danger of falling behind or worse, becoming dependant on the good graces of private companies for future advances.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Scotty Has Alzheimers (Why We Need Stem Cell Research)

[edit on 9-7-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Once again the benifits of stem cell research are on the forefront. However, due to pressure from religious zealots, the US government is refusing to fund or support Stem Cell research.

Not being american I have limited little insight in your government's views on this. Are you saying the US government is refusing support of adult stem cell research as well as embryonic?

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Durden]

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Durden]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Durden
Not being american I have limited little insight in your government's views on this. Are you saying the US government is refusing support of adult stem cell research as well as embryonic?

The stance of embryonic cells is well known. The White house has not had alot to say on the adult side. My first post was not clear sorry. I don't know if the Bush Admin is activly opposed to adult cells as well. However, embryonic cells are much more versitile for research purposes

new topics

join