It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Fish Die-Off in Chicago - USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

BREAKING - Mass Fish Die-Off in Chicago - USA

chicago.cbslocal.com

CHICAGO (STMW) – A bizarre scene is evolving on the Chicago lakefront, with Canada geese and mallard ducks gulping down dead or dying gizzard shad.
A major die-off of what appears to be the 2010 class is happening in Chicago harbors. Thousands, perhaps far more than that, of dead gizzard shad in the 3- to 5-inch range are frozen in the ice of Chicago harbors or floating around in open patches of water.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11-1-2011 by tortfeasor1 because: Changed the title

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yet another mass animal die-off to add to your lists.... I'm sure scientists will try to explain this away along with all the others.
I don't buy the explanation about "extreme cold." I'm from the midwest and I can tell you that Chicago gets extremely cold every year. What makes this year so much different? Answer - Nothing at all. Something is going on around the world - let's hope we can figure it out before it's too late.

chicago.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tortfeasor1

I don't buy the extreme cold either, but an interesting point is made in your post. The mallards and geese are the recipients of this bounty (assuming it doesn't kill them). Possibly the mass bird die offs are part of a food shortage and mother nature is countering with mass fish die offs to feed the birds?

Just an optimistic suggestion, the more likely cause is some mass contamination or bacteria or virus that we haven't identified yet.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I live on lake Erie (for 30 yrs) and we get mass die offs of shad and some other species every year. This is nothing out of the ordinary. Usually it has to do with lack of oxygen, I think that's been the explanation. Just about every body of water has dead zones and sometimes these fish get caught in them and because they are a prey species they like to stay away from the areas where they will get eaten. In this case most of the predatory fish, quite a few in the great lakes, take up the best oxygenated water.
edit on 11-1-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This article "Birds Fall From Sky In California, Thousands Of Dead Fish Found In Chicago" appeared of the Huffinton Post today. The thing I find the most odd is the reference to Canadian Geese

Even more abnormal, according to wildlife experts, was the sight of Canada geese and mallards munching on the dead fish, something not ordinarily a part of their diet.

article

niv

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tortfeasor1

I agree. This winter seems typical to me. I've seen much, much worse winters in Chicago.

I will say I can't see how the various die-offs are related but you never know.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by marklancedance

My guess for the mallards and geese acting that way is because it is winter! Food is hard to come by for these animals especially with snow on the ground. They are just being opportunistic feeders
. They may typically not do that but due to the scarcity of food this time of year they are taking advantage of the pickings. This reminds me, kind of, of the sheep that were getting mauled in England. Everyone thought it was some kind of big cat or wolf mauling the sheep and it ended up being deer!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Too cold for UFOs to be spotted no doubt.
If UFOs can't knock off a bunch of fish I don't know what could
do the job better.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Did anyone observe any fireworks on the frozen lake?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It will be interesting to see if any Canadian Geese or Mallards die near Lake Michigan in the next few weeks.......

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
I live on lake Erie (for 30 yrs) and we get mass die offs of shad and some other species every year. This is nothing out of the ordinary. Usually it has to do with lack of oxygen, I think that's been the explanation. Just about every body of water has dead zones and sometimes these fish get caught in them and because they are a prey species they like to stay away from the areas where they will get eaten. In this case most of the predatory fish, quite a few in the great lakes, take up the best oxygenated water.

I agree with the above as we live on Lake Huron and shad die off's are not uncommon here at all, usually after a real bad winter or cold snap they end up on the beach everywhere.
But I have no idea of what is killing the birds and it worries me that all these kills could be connected in some way some how.

I have lived on Lake Huron for 50 years here so I do have an idea about the shad, not solid proof its a natural die off but a good idea.

Anyone else notice since the AZ shooting that the main stream media has dropped the dead bird thing?
Not a peep the past 3 days (pun intended)
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 11-1-2011 by Iwinder because: grammer

top topics

join