It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mission homeowner fined $5,200 for growing cucumbers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

1. Ring the bell?

If this was a pot grow-op they would have been answered by a shotgun blast.

2. A window garden is different then lights in a basement.

This was a legitimate mistake but here was a reason for the police to go to this man's property. They didn't pick him at random or throw darts at a county map or get a bogus tip.

There was evidence that matched a known pattern.

The story here is NOT the raid, the story is the fine.

ETA...

I do agree with you, it's a plant that naturally grows the way it does (yes it has been selectively bred but it does not require any processing...grow it, pick it, dry it out).

Legalize it, tax it.
edit on 11-1-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

We do agree in a way, but i still think that one lousy suspecting should not be legitimate enough to invade someones home with force right away! At least not without some backing up evidence , or just a simple question.

This way in the future the raid parties of all different agencies are passing each-other on our doorsteps weekly.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Now I finally get the meaning of the western phrase "serve and protect" = serve themselves while protecting their corrupt politician masters.
Sheer stupidity forcing their way in peoples homes, fining them for growing cucumbers.. No wonder western civilisation is in the toilet ...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Ever since the G20 summit the Canadian cops have been trying to outdo their American counterparts in tyrannical behavior and sheer brutality. Mission accomplished if the face kicking video is evidence.
Canadians unite and give your government hell!
Tell them that you do NOT live in the US and you don't want your police acting like their southerly counterparts.
I hold Canadians in very high esteem but this kind of crap is lowering your prestige by the minute.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I think where this REALLY seats itself on borderline extortion is in them hitting homeowners who have commited no crime with a $5,000 + fine just to cover the Police's expenses.

Why the heck should folks have to pay for RCMP's MISTAKE? That is beyond ridiculous! It wasn't the homeowners fault they FALSELY were labled 'suspicious' and put under investigation. The department should have to eat their own fees if they were wrong to begin with! This is total authoritorian nonsense against the populace!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
I think where this REALLY seats itself on borderline extortion is in them hitting homeowners who have commited no crime with a $5,000 + fine just to cover the Police's expenses.

Why the heck should folks have to pay for RCMP's MISTAKE? That is beyond ridiculous! It wasn't the homeowners fault they FALSELY were labled 'suspicious' and put under investigation. The department should have to eat their own fees if they were wrong to begin with! This is total authoritorian nonsense against the populace!

That is an utter disgrace, i cannot believe they are charging the homeowners. Here in the UK we have some problems but if the police knock your door down then they have to repair the damage, whether you are guilty or innocent and that is exactly how it should be.

It does make me nervous sometimes because i run several experiments in aero and hydroponics (it's a hobby) and the idea of my door being kicked in because i'm growing perfectly innocent crops (peppers, chillis, strawberrys etc) is scary. The worst part about it is that if it happened i would have no course of action to get compensation. The police are protected they just have to pay for damage caused, they don't have to pay for the emotional distress to me and my family.

The police have too much power and far too much protection.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

This is total authoritorian nonsense against the populace!

Not to mention facist policy. Obama would be proud.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Quote" the police have too much power and far too much protction"
Is :Thats why they become cops!
The system has enlisted the absolute wrong personality types to administer the justice system.
What we end up with is gestapo instead of civil policemen.
Time to out the thugs and replace them with better trained and better educated officers.
This law is in error.The municipal goverment cannot even dictate what is a warrantless search,It is not within the scope of the municipal authority to even make such a law...let alone charge immense egregious fees for its enforcement....
Somebody has overstepped their mandate as elected officials......
This needs redress......

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Obama signed the same bill S510 , something like that, last year making it illegal to grow, sell, trade, ship, share,or transport home grown vegetables....anywhere in the U.S.A.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
the rcmp are ***holes, i remember reading cases where the rcmp in northern canada would make natives who they considered 'loitering" or publicly drunk run the mohawk mile.

they would arrest them, without charges, take them to a rural area, take their jackets and shoes off put them in a pile and drive them a mile away. they would do this in the dead of winter where temps can reach -40 celsius ( -40 fahrenheit). they would then have to walk back to their clothes or they'll freeze to death.

one poor native had to break into an electrical generator control room because he was so drunk he walked the wrong way and got lost. he was at the point of death and completely frozen.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Yep. We gotta rely on government and big business to feed us, someday we won't even be allowed, if we're even capable, to be self-sufficient. This is just the beginning. A seed-trading website (sorry I forgot the site) was taken down because it 'took money from big business'.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Over the last few years, I've noticed a trend of this kid of thing in Canada - people being financially punished for crimes regardless of trial outcomes - or, in this case, in the absence of a trial.

A number of jurisdictions have automatic roadside seizure/suspension for "racing" or "stunt driving" - and if the cop decides that the law applies, the punishment is dealt out on the spot. If you fight it and win - you don't get your impound fees back, nor do you get your towing fees back, nor does your insurance come down. The last one might only be Ontario, though.

And now, they've extended that same ability to seize vehicles and issue immediate license suspensions to people who are *near* the legal limit for alcohol. Not over, near. And if you're found innocent at a trial, you don't get your "administration fees" back, and your insurance doesn't reflect your innocence. And there's no recourse.

(the guy responsible for these two laws in Ontario (Fantino) has just been elected to the federal government)

Ah, well, it's for the children, eh?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the rcmp are ***holes, i remember reading cases where the rcmp in northern canada would make natives who they considered 'loitering" or publicly drunk run the mohawk mile.

they would arrest them, without charges, take them to a rural area, take their jackets and shoes off put them in a pile and drive them a mile away. they would do this in the dead of winter where temps can reach -40 celsius ( -40 fahrenheit). they would then have to walk back to their clothes or they'll freeze to death.

one poor native had to break into an electrical generator control room because he was so drunk he walked the wrong way and got lost. he was at the point of death and completely frozen.

A few natives have died from this. It's actually not as rare as it sounds either.

I've been slammed against a cruiser, searched, and humiliated in front of hundreds of people because the RCMP suspected I had eggs in my pocket (for Halloween) when I was a teen. It was quite foggy the next morning though

Hell, I've been slammed around and spoken down to by a cop just because I was crossing the street in front of my house with a beer in my hand, late on a New Year's Eve. I guess he wasn't happy about working that night or something.

Or there was the time I stayed at my university until 4AM one night studying like crazy, and walking home an RCMP pig lit me up with a spotlight and started asking me 21 questions on the street. I had my university sweatshirt on clearly stating the name of my school, AND I had my backpack on, and I was taking the same route that I always take, and he asked me about 5 times what I was doing out there and where I came from. I eventually made it clear to him that I hate pigs and walked away, he didn't even bother to step out of his car.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You got nothin to complain about.
You got a thick shearling coat and Ian and Sylvia and Buffy St.Marie.Sheeple are supposed to eat grass not smoke it.

edit on 11-1-2011

edit on 11-1-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This is incredible on so many levels.

The idea that the State can just search your home whenever it wants...and then fine you at their own discretion? Since this is a "bylaw", I would think that your only recourse is to petition the same local government which enacted the law and levied the fines in the first place...no judge no jury. And what happens if he refuses to pay? Can they place liens against his home, take his property?

When are people going to put an end to these unconscionable rules enacted by our so called "representatives"

As far as him claiming to "grow cucumbers"...
Suuuuuuuure you were.

Regardless of whether he was or not, this is completely unacceptable.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Why would they want to discourage self-sustaining lifetyles in BC? Trying to make the general public fed up with growers by creating an issue? "Turn the growers in so that we don't have to raid your house looking for them.", is the only logic I can find in this.

Classy RCMP, classy. I always thought rural BC was very chill on the growers. Oh well, keep up the good work!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
Why would they want to discourage self-sustaining lifetyles in BC? Trying to make the general public fed up with growers by creating an issue? "Turn the growers in so that we don't have to raid your house looking for them.", is the only logic I can find in this.

Classy RCMP, classy. I always thought rural BC was very chill on the growers. Oh well, keep up the good work!

I just want to note, Mission is far from rural. It's a small city in the Fraser Valley with a large municipality. Most rural locations I know in BC only have a handful of RCMP officers to patrol hundreds of farmers/ranchers/mill workers/foresters, etc. Where I come from, the RCMP won't bust into your home because they would find themselves easily outnumbered.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
growing cucumbers in the basement , sounds ...........distinctly odd

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Are you being sarcastic? My uncle grows hydro tomato, chilli and capsicum in his spare room. He's just a regular oldguy, who figured that a hydro crop was much less risky than trying to grow plants outdoors (It gets hot in summer and he doesn't want to spend hours in the scorching heat trying to tend his garden). Plus, I heard it's more efficient in terms of needing pesticides and the fertilizers are delivered directly to the plants rather than into the surrounding soil. And the water is recycled so it's more water efficient during water restrictions. I guess also growing hydro inside means less seasonal effect to crops such as heat waves or frosts. It makes sense to me. If he isn't using his basement for anything else, why not have a go at growing some vegetables?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Hey what's going on up there in Canada? I thought you guys had a democracy but it sounds more like someone elected Comrade Stalin. If this has been going on for a while all I can say is that you all have become too comfortable in your freedoms and have forgotten that they have to be continually guarded. This means being active in local politics for you citizens in Mission. Down here we'd say "kick the bums out" and then we'd do just that. There was a time when I thought I'd like to be a Canadian but no more. Our country is tits up in the ditch but methinks we aren't the only one. Has Canada turned into a nation of pussies or what?

edit on 12-1-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join