It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assange Fears Gitmo and The Chair

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Assange Fears Gitmo and The Chair

LONDON-- WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange is worried about getting sent to the US, Gitmo, and The “Chair.” Those fears are spelled out in what he calls a “skeleton defense” posted on Assange’s lawyer’s web site.

This follows a hearing today at London’s Belmarsh Magistrate’s Court before a full hearing next month dealing with Assange’s possible extradition from the UK to Sweden on alleged sex abuse charges

Most of the defense is focused on trying to knock down the sex charges and the basis of the extradition.

But it also deals with the possibility that Assange could then be sent to the US from Sweden to face treason or espionage charges. If that happens, the further concern for the Assange team is that he would be sent to the Guantanamo Bay prison, or worse, that he’ll face execution.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I see Assange is now using specific terminology to once again make the world feel sorry for him. This is evident by his invocation of being scared to go to the US because he doesnt want to go to Gitmo, and is afraid he will be charged with treason, and that he will be executed.

Anyone who still thinks Assange is credible and not playing people need to wake up.

A non US citizen is not elidgable for a treason charge.
This is in Federal Court, not military so there is no way hes going to Gitmo
Release of classified information in the manner Assange / wikileaks do does not even come close to meeting law requirements in order to invoke a death penalty case by prosecution.

And once again, he has been out of the light for a while, waiting for the extradition court date which is today, and what does he do? Makes the comments above, and again talks about how he is going to start releasing more calssified information. Which again has nothing to do with his extradition motion, which he shrugged off again and downplayed it, in order to refocus the attention back to himself and the leaks.

Why does he do this? Because there is more money and emotions to play off of by constantly using the US problem as a basis to keep the funds and support coming in. The more times he can use US, Treason, Execution and Gitmo, the more the focus comes back to Assange, and the less the people want to know about the Swedish case against him.

What the hell stopped him before? He had access to all of that stuff.

Or could it be, once again, waiting for the media to be around so he can feel warm and fuzzy about being in the spotlight again? Go back and look at the progression of wikileaks, intervals between major media coverage on assange and under what manner its done.

This guys is playing his supporters, and sadly they are falling for it hook line and sinker.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yeah - I pretty much agree. His statements about Gitmo, the "chair", etc, seem to be designed to stir up sentiment and outcry from the public in his favor.

As you pointed out this does a few things that benift him. One is it does put some focus back on his next release and builds hype for it. Much like the way ad's for a TV show will "leave the viewer hanging". Second, the more he can get the public on his side, maybe raise some protests or something - that may translate into getting off lighter in his current legal troubles. Lastly, it boosts the "heroic martyr" persona that he seems to be cultivating as of late. If it is deliberate on his part or not there is a type of "cult of Julian" that forms around this guy.

He is many things - but dumb doesn't seem to be one of them.

edit on 11-1-2011 by Frogs because: left words out.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Since when did it matter about procedure and law where the US Gov is concerned?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If Manning can be locked up without due process Assange sure as hell could be. It is foolish and/or deceitful to suggest he would get any chance of a fair trial in America even in light of a complete lack of offence.
edit on 11-1-2011 by lnr42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by lnr42
Since when did it matter about procedure and law where the US Gov is concerned?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If Manning can be locked up without charges Assange sure as hell could be. It is foolish and/or deceitful to suggest he would get any chance of a fair trial in America even in light of a complete lack of offence.

I doubt it. Assange has a cult following and believers worldwide. Manning doesn't. Assange can manipulate his followers however he wants to play the media and the U.S. However, Assange is a valuable asset to the U.S. government as he is to whoever he is trying to help, because his leaks benefits the U.S. government in helping them establish more restrictions and laws. Any law or war that the people do not like always need a reason for their existence - no matter how invalid that reason may be. A reason is a reason.

When it is all over, Assange, much like Osama Bin Laden, will be let free of all charges. You can also say Assange is another boogeyman much like Communism and Bin Laden were.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Although you are right in your legal interpretations, the US has put laws aside and spit on the constitution many times before for various "reasons"...

Gitmo ring a bell?

The problem is not the black letter law, nor the case law/jurisprudence that exist. The problem are the possible actions and decisions that the US government can use against him despite these laws...

They've bent, broke, set aside and ignored the constitution as well as domestic and international law in the past for "national security" reasons, what tells us that they won't in this case either?

Magnum

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
@LRN42 - Care to do some more reseach to qualify your accusation Mannigns Due Process was violated. That statement is very much wrong. Manning has been detained, and has been charged with 4 counts, and another 4 under investigation. He has been placed in pretrial detention, and contrary to all the bitching about his conditions, his lawyer has gone on the record to set it straight, and those conclusions do not support the argument you are trying to make.

The 1 item Mr. Coombs has brought forward is under the UCMJ a person must be charged and before a court martial within 120 days, otherwise the person needs to be released. What Mr. Coombs left out of that argument, and subsequent citing of the UJMC, was section C that gives the convening authority the ability to extend detentions past 120 days, which is the case here.

His due process rights were not violated, and the UCMJ is being followed as it should.

@ Magnum007

Yes Gitmo rings a bell and no the US didnt put laws aside for Gitmo, since the United Nations conventions specifically allow for military tribunals as well as the manner they are detained in. Some people who are opposed to US foreign policy continually use that fallacy as an argument, and it is a false argument.

Secondly, Assange was not captured on the battlefield while actively engaging in killing Americans (although I think his release of info is just as bad, but thats me). If he is indicted, it will be in Federal Court, most likely DC and he will not be facing what he is trying to pawn off to others.

He cant be charged with treason
He cant be executed for his postings of classified info (and even now Manning wont either, since the 4 charges he has pending total 52 years in prison)
He cant be sent to Gitmo

Legal arguments aside, again, this is nothing more than him hyping it for media coverage in order to sell wikileaks, and using the entire overall situation to drown out the Swedish charges.

Its a publicity stunt and nothing more to gain the support of people that he can manipulate.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

it has nothing to do with making people feel sorry for him. It is called making a legal case. If the usa is barbaric enough to put people to death and send them half way roun the world so they can be tortured then in the uk you can use this to fight extradition.
evidently sir this is course of action one would take in the uk...

think a little before you type...

kx

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I would love to see the real source for this. I know what kind of thread this would be based on who posted it, but here are the facts. He can't be tried for treason, it's not likely he could be tried for espionage (I would say nearly impossible), and he couldn't face the chair (nor would he be allowed to be sent to gitmo. And I sincerely doubt he expressed any fears like that.

You will rarely, if ever see a country willing to extradite someone that is facing death. He isn't American so he can't face treason something the ignorant masses that read Fox news (as well as Fox news themselves) can't seem to wrap their head around.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Perhaps his our savior the messiah who all the sheeple will follow

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Huh? The source for this is in my first post. The title of the news article is the link. Just click on it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Its nowhere close to being a legal case since he has not been charged for any crime in the US. He is fighting extradition to Sweden on thier charges. My point behind the post was to point out the mannr in which Assange will manipulate the situation in an effort to deflect the real problem.

Hes not stupid, and I do not beleive for a minute he beleives what he said about Gitmo, treason or execution and the chair. Its an effort to push the focus again, and to back that up he went back into the talk of releasing more classified information. He has been out on bail for some time, and we did not hear hide nor hair from him. It was not until he was back to court, which coincidentally enough is where the media was, did he then decide to pick things back up.

Assange is like clockwork when it comes to the media and his agenda.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by exactmad

Funny enough he does fit the description of the Anti Christ.. A person who has a fololwing, great oratory style who will persuade the masses to follow him under the guise of freedom.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by purplemer

Its nowhere close to being a legal case since he has not been charged for any crime in the US. He is fighting extradition to Sweden on thier charges. My point behind the post was to point out the mannr in which Assange will manipulate the situation in an effort to deflect the real problem.

Hes not stupid, and I do not beleive for a minute he beleives what he said about Gitmo, treason or execution and the chair. Its an effort to push the focus again, and to back that up he went back into the talk of releasing more classified information. He has been out on bail for some time, and we did not hear hide nor hair from him. It was not until he was back to court, which coincidentally enough is where the media was, did he then decide to pick things back up.

now then i shall agee... no he is not stupid. he has not been charged with a crime in the us, but he is under invesitgation...
could you kindly expained on what you mean about deflecting the real problem

kx
Assange is like clockwork when it comes to the media and his agenda.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Funny enough he does fit the description of the Anti Christ.. A person who has a fololwing, great oratory style who will persuade the masses to follow him under the guise of freedom.

This is not about freedom it is about truth and justice my friend... do you know the difference.....
if comments like the above are the zenith of your opinion then really i am wasting my words on you.

hey yep maybe he is the anti christ and yep mb you are the zorgon from the blob nebulae

kx

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Americans can torture you remotely, in your home as much as they do to anyone in there hell zones.

No where on earth is safe from these techs.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It's a fox new blogger. That isn't a REAL source.
Assange's lawyer said they are trying to keep him from being extradited because of the death sentence (maybe gitmo I haven't confirmed that). That is a tactic that doesn't mean Assange is whining about this. Niether Assange or his lawyer are actually concerned about those outcomes. They are only concerned about extradition.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

...sounds a lot like Obama, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Oh he must be the anti-christ he has followers.
You are almost as bad as the cinic. Not quite, but almost.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
He can even make up a cable and sheeple will just follow believe everything he say. "His on the public's side" in the public's eye Obama aren't in the public side in the public's eye.

<<   2 >>

join