It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Sikhs Want Religious Swords in School.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
How in the world does someone even consider this? I understand we are now forced to accept diversity and it should be taught above all else in school to further dumb down the US. However, kids bringing swords to school? Swords being compared to pencils and scissors? I guess the zero tolerance plicy only applies to some, as it seems certain peole can be suspended for plastic army men. More lunacy and I'll bet with certain liberal groups this might just come to pass.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Yes it seems a sword in a school would be outlandish.
Lets first go back and realize the thread title here is rather misleading.
All I could see was a sheath about 5 inches, certainly was not a sabre.

That being said, it's a bad idea for any weapons of any kind to be in schools.
HOWEVER
A small religious symbol which resembles a dagger like this is not the same as a sabre.
Perhaps our rules on "something that resembles a weapon" need to be addressed.
Let's remember that ROTC in high schools have guns that don't actually fire. They definitely resemble however.

In the end I would suggest that if there is a bladeless, harmless Kadr which symbolizes the real one, then it would be a lot closer to OK.

With a blade, absolutely not.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
as a former child in the MI public school system, I would have wanted swords too!!

But seriously, in MI where the minority dropout rate is like 60% we need more weapons in school like we need more religion...which is NEITHER

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
the same problem exists in the UK. tho the schools system did suggest they weld it in the sheath

but that did not fly (as far as I am aware)

I personally would have wanted to take a seax to school
just ensure things are fair

Seax of Beagnoth
edit on 11/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: spelling

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I am one of those knuckle dragging red necks, I want to bring my interracially decorated ceremonial shotgun to school.

If you don’t let me, then you are discriminating against my religious beliefs. I’ll sue!!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Good analogy, I think that's why most people agree to not mix school with religion, because we can't draw the line.
The only difference is knuckle-dragging rednecks don't make up the majority of people in Canton, MI. There are a lot of Sikhs. Wealthy ones, like doctors etc., with much money in the local economy and very much upstanding citizens. So if we take it case by case, it seems a bit more acceptable (not that I agree with any kinds of swords or knives in schools!). But being from metro-detroit, and knowing Canton, MI very well, I'll say from experience that I can't see any negative physical effects of Sikhs wearing a ceremonial sheath or something like that at school.

top topics

join