It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Huge Sciencitific Laboratory Planned for Under the Alps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
French and Italian scientists are planning to build a massive underground lab to help detect neutrinos, it has emerged today. It would consist of a huge tank filled with several hundred thousand cubic metres of ultra-pure water.

news.bbc.co.uk
The photomultiplier tubes that will line the huge tank of water would detect "Cerenkov" radiation given off by charged particles created in the tank by the passage of neutrinos.

Neutrinos are ghostly particles that do not interact very much with normal matter. Billions of them come streaming out of the Sun's core unhindered by the mass of the Sun.

The thousand of metres of rock would shield the detector from Cosmic Ray interference and allow more precise neutrino measurements than is currently possible.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Neutrino is a fundmanetal part of modern physics, as if they exist, it effectively proves neutron decay (Neutron -> Proton + Electron) also known as Beta radiation.. Neutrinos could be coming into contact with the Earth on a regular basis, and in fact, there is some evidence already of it affecting the earth.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Wow, thats actually pretty interesting.

Not a whole lot else to say.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
that's really awesome. i hope it doesn't get canceled like a lot of the other european scientific plans though. i remember a few years ago when there was a supernova (i want to say 1987A, but that may be wrong) that 11 neutrinos were detected.

join