It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Most British Dislike the Americans?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Every thread about Brits or Yanks, some one has to mention how the Yanks saved the British ass, By the time American came to the British aid, the threat of invasion was over, if the American had kept to the Pacific, the Russian would have eventually taken over the Atlanic wall, which would have meant the Ameircans would never have retrieved their European markets untill 1989.
Thats my take on it.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JonInMichigan

Without us Americans, you might be speaking German right now.

More like Russian

Anyway America has largely been good for the world. Great culture, music, film, cars (amazing), sports, indeed there is not much to dislike about the USA. Maybe as world policeman it takes it a little too far and needs to realise that other power centres like Russia and China can actually exist without being totally encircled with military bases while at the same time recognise that those two states have a near abroad that is important to them. But at the same time thanks heavens for the USA, without whom we would all be worse off without for helping keeping the peace between the major powers.

Then there is thought that Magnum, the A Team, Starsky and Hutch might never have been created without the USA and you are so glad it does exist.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

So my question is for all the non-Americans not just British to give their view on Americanisms and lets hopefully put straight the misconceptions.

To answer the question in the thread title - no.

The septics fall foul of that most traditional of British past times - taking the piss out of everybody and everything without mercy, ourselves most of all.

If anything, the quickest way to tell if a Brit doesn't like you, is that they are unfailing polite to you and pretend to appreciate your "culture", heritage, and viability as a nation.

The more that a Brit likes and trust you, the more piss-taking will occur. It's a general rule that applies to all foreign nationals, except possibly for the French.. or Germans... Italians... Spaniards... Portuguese ("Spain-Lite")... Austrians ("pretend Germans")... Swiss... Australians ("filled with ex-cons, murderous insects, and baby-eating Dingos")... Canadians ("French Wannabes")... the Scandinavian and Baltic countries... Russians... Eastern Europeans... the entirety of the continents of Asia, Africa, and South America... Australians (again, just because)... Americans...

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I've always viewed interactions between Brits and Americans as fraternal ribbing rather than dislike. I think both have their pride and their ways of life, but that doesn't mean we don't love each other. We're like siblings. Horseplay is fair game, and things can get heated here and there, but we are there for each other.

Cheers, you depressing highhorse Brits.

ETA: One of my best friends was engaged to a Brit when he still lived here before moving to China, and she was very sweet. We always used to cook traditional meals for each other and have dinner parties. I'm still not a fan of parsnips, but the food and the company were both wonderful.

Also, every Russian I've hung out with has been very jovial and friendly. Truly a joy to be around. Spaniards are like the nicest people on Earth. The French have always been very rude to me, but they are very handsome, beautiful people. I wish my experiences had been better. Mexicans are generally quite charitable and generous in my experience. I can't tell the difference between Canadians and Americans, usually.
edit on 1-12-2018 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join