It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Most British Dislike the Americans?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electric CrownI think that it's just the redneck version of UKers that hate on us. At least I hope so

On the contrary, they are more likly to be the ones who embrace everything that is wrong with America. For example, they emulate their American cousins by engaging in gang culture, turning their council estates into British versions of Compton in the process. Monkey see, monkey do. They are also completely ignorant of foreign affairs and politics in.general and would not have the intellectual capacity to "hate on" America for any meaningful reason.
edit on 11-1-2011 by quackers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by [davinci]
We get a large number of tourists from the US here in the Atlantic provinces during the summer months as well as from all across Canada.
There are good and bad yes, but overall the Americans are far better guests then most Canadians are.

Which only goes to show that even though one is Canadian...one can still be an arse.
That being said, I love Nova Scotia and Newfoundland...what I've seen of Atlantic Canada...and encourage anyone to visit. And be polite.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
As another pointed out in the opposite thread.
Most American haters are Americans.

We get a lot of America bashing because it is what is popular and in style. Strangely enough, most of that originates not in other countries but within our own very effective propaganda motivated media.

The rest of the world is merely jumping on the band wagon.

Except the French of course.
They hate us because we seem to be genetically predisposed to a hatred of France.

Oscar Wilde once said, "Everything popular is wrong."

I think he was right and will continue to do so until the notion becomes popular.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I dislike how some (not all) Americans demonstrate a blind patriotic arrogance towards their foreign policy. This, I suspect, is why much of the rest of the world might have a certain bias against America. I'm always careful to distinguish Americans from America to maintain my objectivity. Most countries are equally corrupt.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'll say this.
If we were attacked by an enemy, I'll fight for the life of a Brit, Australian, Frenchman, Italian, German, Canadian, Polishman (especially for helping tear down that WALL with Solidarity and the assassination of there people in the Russian Airport slaughter), and just about anyone else except a Chinese politician. They continue to declare that the US is their sworn enemy. It won't be long.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
EVERYONE better hope china and USA don't go to war... The only people that will survive are the elite in bunkers.. I swear they will kill us all off that way...

Sorry off topic..

I hope brits like us americans... I love british women thats for sure.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What's an American?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I would love to travel to America, and explore its land for myself. I'm based near Liverpool, England. American people, seem very much like us, and anyone else on the planet, minus a few differences, of course. But, best of all in America, they have food like nowhere else. I want to go there, solely, if not for many other reasons, just to taste that fantastic food. I'm not the type of guy to eat much, but, my God, it looks good!

As for the people, they seem very nice. I had step-family that lived there for a few years, in San Francisco. They were originally from here in England, but, loved it over there. Apparently, people were always really nice, and since they had kids, they told me about how nice the children treated each other, rather than over here, which involves too much bitching.

Stereotypes are obvious, and everywhere. But, they're also irrelevant. Americans seem like, and from what I've heard from those I trust, like very nice people as a whole. Much more trusting and appreciative of those around them :-)

So, to sum up: If we're informed, then no, we don't dislike Americans.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Alesanjin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alesanjin
I want to go there, solely, if not for many other reasons, just to taste that fantastic food. I'm not the type of guy to eat much, but, my God, it looks good!

Then go to New Orleans. Mind you...you pretty much have to drink and listen to live music as well to have a good time.
Now there's a shame!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterCrowley
EVERYONE better hope china and USA don't go to war... The only people that will survive are the elite in bunkers.. I swear they will kill us all off that way...

Sorry off topic..

I hope brits like us americans... I love british women thats for sure.

Ha that's funny. You can have em... Please have em all...

Korg.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by Alesanjin
I want to go there, solely, if not for many other reasons, just to taste that fantastic food. I'm not the type of guy to eat much, but, my God, it looks good!

Then go to New Orleans. Mind you...you pretty much have to drink and listen to live music as well to have a good time.
Now there's a shame!

Gosh the thing that stood out to me about New Orleans was the... shall we say atmospheric aroma...

Korg.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Never been to the USA but I lover their culture (Especially STAR WARS) I all so think some of their music is pretty good too, mainly the 90s hip hop and some of the 60s groups.

I think the people from what iv seen on tv and the ones iv talked to in online games are good people too. I think the main reason for me trusting their nation above all others is probably the fact they speak the same language as us and share so much in common with them culture wise.

I think the peoples hearts are in the right places even if they are sometimes miss guided by their leader, but hey aint we all.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Cant we just keep cheryl cole? ... please?

2nd line because I couldnt think of any other women to keep on the first line to take it into a 2nd line.
edit on 12-1-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
you cant stereotype a whole group of people but i would say they can be a bit extra sometimes.
kinda gives me the fell its babylon i was born there but live in uk been back n forth most my life 19 now

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Personally speaking, I have no problems with Americans; people are people, and you get good and bad Americans, just as you get good and bad English people.

However, there are some attitudes that irritate me, which are expressed by some of the American contributors on ATS:

1. The apparent sacred reverence of the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, while not complaining that just about all Amendments to the US Constitution have been updated by courts to provide stipulations to those ''rights''.

eg. You have ''the right to free speech, bear arms'' etc.

Either these are Natural Rights or not... You can't say that they're natural rights to some people, and a restricted privilege to others !

2. The idolisation of the Founding Fathers.

Franklin, Washington, Jefferson, and others, all thought that is was perfectly ''acceptable'' to own other human beings as property.

I find oft quoted sayings from the likes of Franklin and Jefferson, that pertain to ''liberty'', ''freedom'' and ''rights'', to be unpleasant and rather nauseating, considering that so many of these obnoxious characters made these comments without a hint of irony or conscience.

3. The way that some Americans seem to judge everywhere else by their own cultural standards, and think that their Constitution and Bill of Rights are relevant anywhere else other than within the confines of their own borders.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Personally speaking, I have no problems with Americans; people are people, and you get good and bad Americans, just as you get good and bad English people.

However, there are some attitudes that irritate me, which are expressed by some of the American contributors on ATS:

1. The apparent sacred reverence of the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, while not complaining that just about all Amendments to the US Constitution have been updated by courts to provide stipulations to those ''rights''.

eg. You have ''the right to free speech, bear arms'' etc.

Either these are Natural Rights or not... You can't say that they're natural rights to some people, and a restricted privilege to others !

2. The idolisation of the Founding Fathers.

Franklin, Washington, Jefferson, and others, all thought that is was perfectly ''acceptable'' to own other human beings as property.

I find oft quoted sayings from the likes of Franklin and Jefferson, that pertain to ''liberty'', ''freedom'' and ''rights'', to be unpleasant and rather nauseating, considering that so many of these obnoxious characters made these comments without a hint of irony or conscience.

3. The way that some Americans seem to judge everywhere else by their own cultural standards, and think that their Constitution and Bill of Rights are relevant anywhere else other than within the confines of their own borders.

Ok, but once you get past all that...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Ok, but once you get past all that...

LOL.

My main complaint is about the sanctity in which so many Americans seem to hold their Constitution in; it almost becomes a ''Holy book'' to them, that can't be questioned.

I don't mean to be rude, and I know that there are many Americans who don't take the Constitution as gospel, but these views - reverently citing the US Constitution - are expressed quite often on ATS.

I see you're a Canadian, so you probably agree with the basis of my points !

ps. I like your Michael Palin avatar.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm an American and I hope to God that Brittish people dont judge Americans based on the STUPID reality shows on TV. Ugh, its make me cringe to think someone in England would liken me to Snookie of Jersey Shore (which I have never watched, but I've seen clips of the show) or Housewives of New York (talk about shallow people), just because I'm American.The people on US reality shows are PIGS!

I love America and my freedoms, that's for sure! And so I appreciate what I have!! I have achieved some of the American dreams, like nice cars, and I own my house and have good job here in the Midwest. I have never lived in another country so yes, I am ignorant of any hardships in the UK. I guess Ive always assumed living in England is pretty much like living in the US. Is that not true??

I SO want visit England! Such great history! And I would love to know the people....darn I wish I could afford the expensive plane ticket!!

Anyway - dont hate on me Britts!!

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join