It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all the people who want to ban guns.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Let us be straight and clear. You have no business in my home without invitation. Should you invade my home, you will be carried out. Clear enough?

link   

No I don't live in fear or paranoia, I live in reality and the reality in the states is that we have a lot of bad apples and until they take all the guns away from the criminals and give me a lifetime guarantee I will always have food (not going to happen) I'm keeping my guns. Quick story: when I first moved to LA I was eating lunch in my truck(shady part of town) I had two guys approached me and demanded my money and I said I didn't have any, next thing I knew one of the guys pulled out a long blade knife and they demanded my money again, I said OK reached in my console and put a 357 in his face, his eyes got the size of baseballs, that was the end of the discussion. That is the only time I have ever pointed a gun at anyone in my life and I haven't since, but it may have saved my life that day, these were gang banger bad guys and we have a lot of them here. No I don't live in fear but preservation in my enviroment.

edit on 11-1-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by ExCloud

i can think of that.. but it is an if and a but that has never happened in my life...if it did happen i dont know how i would react. what causes that level of fear. is there that amount of violence around you. is it from tv. what makes peeps so scared that they think they are going to have to kill there human brothers...

kx

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder

and give me a lifetime guarantee I will always have food (not going to happen) I'm keeping my guns.

You don't need a gun as a lifetime guarantee you will always have food.

Try some seeds and some soil. Hell, you don't need garden space, just a windowsill or some such, but I guess you want less of Bill Mollison and more of Marion Morrison.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

You want a Ted Bundy to walk in your home in the middle of the night? It has nothing to do with fear its safety measures. The only thing I fear is death and when the time comes I probably wont be to afraid.

If you dont know who Ted Bundy is

Ted Bundy-
One of the most notorious serial killers in history, he was responsible for the rape and murder of several women between 1974 and 1978. An educated and charming young man, he either raped and then killed the women or killed and then raped them. His method of killing was either by strangulation or by bludgeoning the women. He was arrested on the 16th of August, 1975, but escaped within 17 hours of his capture. He was subsequently arrested on the 15th of February, 1978. On the 24th of January, 1989, Ted Bundy was sent to the electric chair.

So you leave your door open and dont take any form of safety and when a quack like him comes into your home I will not feel sorry for you that you didnt lock your doors. Its not guns that kill people. Crazy people kill people.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
nice try OP ... but those who've never been threatened will never understand.

20yrs ago, ppl who favored guns weren't permitted inside my home ... well, guess what? times change and so do ppl and so should their ability to protect themselves.

How do i know? Because roughly one year ago, i finally conceded and bought my first pistol (taurus millenium - 9m) ... learned it, learned to handle it and learned how to rationalize the Need to use it.
(no, i don't have a CWP yet)

Surprisingly, last Sept, those efforts were superbly tested.
Mid-afternoon, following a previous day of threats, cops, animal control and citations, a crazy neighbor lady (later found to be extremely inebriated) jumped the fence, toppled the gas grill (with full tank), cleared storage shelves by the armload and then proceeded toward the shed (which was fully stocked with all kinds of weaponry / 3axe, dozen knives, swords, power tools, gardening equip) ... point is, there were plenty of available weapons at her disposal.

From the moment i witnessed her aggressive approach toward the fence, i called 911 and requested assistance. They finally showed up, after she was shot AND the ambulance had arrived.

Now, this person was not visibly armed at the time she was fired upon, however, she had clear intent, at one point she wielded a 6ft rake, and she refused multiple commands to stop, leave, don't go in there, leave now, you're trespassing (signage present), stop or i'll shoot. All of the above warnings were issued and more by 2 different people. Once she entered the lanai and continued toward the door, she was shot.

Luckily for her, she was shot just below the right knee and will certainly have repercussions from the injury, but had my mate fired, she would be dead (he was targeting right between her eyes) ... this is all of Her own doing. we defended ourselves, our home, our company and our critters. Now, what is wrong with that?

The PD was online on the phone for the Entire event, (their main office is less than 1 mile from event location) yet, the first officer arrived After the ambulance and the emts were already addressing the wound.

No offense to any LEO, but what good were they in this instance?
They were present 24hr prior, they were well advised of multiple threats issued, they issued trespass warnings to the whole group (4 of them) and still, when the 911 call arrives, they linger ?
and what's worse, via taxes, i have no choice But to pay for it ... once upon a time, i thought we paid for 'protection' ... well that time has passed and what we pay for now is a cleanup crew ... more often than not. Thanks but no thanks, i'll keep my guns, closer than ever before.
and i'll have that CWP before summer. after being attacked at a public laundry and experiencing the above, i don't go anywhere without some protection of some kind ... and i'm not talking spray or a whistle, either.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

and give me a lifetime guarantee I will always have food (not going to happen) I'm keeping my guns.

You don't need a gun as a lifetime guarantee you will always have food.

Try some seeds and some soil. Hell, you don't need garden space, just a windowsill or some such, but I guess you want less of Bill Mollison and more of Marion Morrison.

Yeah I could become a vegetarian but I do like an ocasional burger sometimes. Ok so lets say I don't absolutely have to have a gun to have food, this I know. But do you have an answer to all the criminals that would still have arms and shoot my arse in a heartbeat? I also live with a lot of bears and mtn lions in my area, bears are in my yard 3-4 times a week during bear season, we have more bears breaking into houses than we do criminals, this may sound crazy but I pack taking out the trash at night and while working in the back in my garage. I've come close to being attacked twice the 20yrs I've been here. I also camp a lot in my area tons of bears. What do you suggest there? Should I carry a slingshot? I do carry pepper spray but..........what do you suggest?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

My guess is he suggests do not go outside. Also if you die to a bear attack that its proper the animal and mother nature beat you. Even though you had the bigger brain and once had a gun and a means to defend yourself. You had to shrink your mental capacity a bit to not arm yourself and concede defeat to a animal less superior that will attack and maul you for no reason.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I will disarm when the rest of the world disarms or begins to behave in a manner in which I see fit.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
i became a vegetarian about a year ago...after looking at food inc the documentary about what the world is doing and treating our other earthlings....a pig got feelings and a family to just like me and you..
stop killing and start eat soy meet taste the same and its good for you, free from flues and other #.

/ im not a hippy just don"t understand what gives the humans the right to take Innocent animals lifes, just becuse we think we are smarter.

same when its up to ppl guns don't solve any problem

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

I do agree with the intent of the OP but not the whole message. I am in favor of gun control but not bans. I own a shotgun. I decided on my weapon because a number of factors.

One: I live in a housing complex, and if I needed to defend myself or family I would not want a weapon that would penetrate walls at a high speed and cause damage or death to my neighbors.

Two: The sound of a pump action shot gun is scary, and I don't care who you are. The slide of a hand gun, or the charging of an assault rifle don't come close in my opinion, so if I can scare off an intruder without a shot being fired, so much the better.

Three: Ammo is easy to get a hold of, and can be used for rec shooting or hunting. I enjoy shooting for target practice, and like the feel of a weapon in my hands, so the shot gun was the right fit for me.

My wife on the other hand hates guns as a rule, but would be open to the idea of being trained to handle a hand gun. I for one see no reason for the common man to own a fully automatic weapon, but see a high importance for a person to own personal defense weapons. I also think that states need to step up and do more through background checks. Most of the shootings you hear about on the news seem to be people who have mental health issues. I for one would have no problem having to undergo a psych eval to own a weapon. After all it says in the same constitution that the government is required to provide for the general welfare and common defense.

As a military man, I have in my oath of enlistment the vow to uphold and defend the constitution against all threats, both foreign and domestic. I see the lax gun control laws as a threat to good order and safety and of the opinion that people should have to register the weapons they own with the local authorities and be required to update the authorities in the event that the weapon is lost, damaged, stolen, or destroyed. I see this as a reasonable step to secure the weapons of the people. I understand that others, and I suspect that Rocky Black would be one as well, will disagree with me on this point. It could be argued that ig a government knew who owned the weapons that government could target the gun owners for undue attention and harassment. I feel that this would be an unfounded argument. If people were required to reregister the weapons they own every two years for example, it could be tracked if the gun owner had developed a serious mental illness which would preclude them from firearm ownership. This could also be used to keep track of weapons and protect law abiding citizens from being framed if a firearm is stolen and used in a crime, I feel that a system would go a long way to ease the fears of the people who hate guns, but also protect the rights of Americans to own guns. People who wish to own a gun for legal uses should not mind a waiting period and other checks on them, as they should not have an immediate need for a firearm, nor should they have anything that they would be afraid to be reviled by such a background check.

In conclusion it falls on us gun owners to protect ourselves from having our right to bear arms removed all together. I feel that the only option is for us to enact strict gun control on the people who want to buy weapons in the first place. It is a fact that the vast majority of people who own fire arms never commit a violent crime. The weapons are only used for personal defense, home protection, and sport. Most people who own weapons understand that it is a serious responsibility to own something that has the power to take a life and respect the weapon as such. It is up to us, the gun owners, to suggest systems to ease the fears of the non-gun owning public while at the same time protecting our second amendment rights.

Forgive my wall of text.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultraplayer
same when its up to ppl guns don't solve any problem

funny thing is, experience (as stated above) is a wonderful teaching tool and my gun solved our problem quite nicely. no one died, no one arrested and they moved ... couldn't ask for a better resolve.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

Yeah, I found myself about 4-5 ft from a lrg mama and 3 cubs one night, never been that scared in my life. I know you're not supposed to run but when she growled I became an instant gold medal Olympic sprinter, a gun wouldn't have done me a damn bit of good, unless it was drawn and even at that range your history, dem critters b lightening quick. But after that incident I carry, funny thing is I rarely see them in the wild/deep in the mtn's but all the time in the city and my yard, they love my plums and apples.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
People tend to forget that this country was born out of bloodshed. Our founding fathers slaughtered the original inhabitants and countless people were killed in the name of personal freedoms. That is why our collective psyche is of a violent nature and there is no law that can change that. We are also the most prolific producers of weapons on this planet. More people have been killed by the hands of a American made weapon in the years since our founding than in all previously known wars in history!
With that being said, I don't think that restricting magazine capacity or specific types of ordinance is going to do anything and I am against it. What needs to be done, in my opinion, is to put in place a better system for puchasing weapons that would be universal to all states. Nothing as restrictive as the Tri-State region where I live but also not as lax as Arizona. Mental capacity tests should be given and retested periodically as a condition of retaining a permit and training should be mandatory .
I could get into how the tone and temperature of todays political climate played a major part in the shooting but there are other threads for that. Besides, this thread has enough left and right leaning opiniions but I do believe that we should all be looking more towards the middle for a answer.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

.........what do you suggest?

Well, humans have always lived in inappropriate areas. I would say move, but I know you won't like that.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCloud
reply to post by mtnshredder

My guess is he suggests do not go outside. Also if you die to a bear attack that its proper the animal and mother nature beat you. Even though you had the bigger brain and once had a gun and a means to defend yourself. You had to shrink your mental capacity a bit to not arm yourself and concede defeat to a animal less superior that will attack and maul you for no reason.

They won't attack and maul you for no reason. The reason may not be obvious to your "bigger brain" but there would be a reason.

Big boys always love guns to back up their lack of...um...grey matter etc.
You guys are so tough.

"Less superior". That attitude explains it all, right there. Goddamn hegemonists.

By the way, our back door is always unlocked and has been for over twenty years and never once have we had a problem. It's as much about perception as projection.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamelukkikala
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Can you show me how exactly?

Have fun

. . .And come on, you got huge load of weapons, yet they run over you and you guys aren't doing anything. Talk about growing some balls.
edit on 11-1-2011 by mamelukkikala because: (no reason given)

Like I said, more people need to be shown the truth, and it is an uphill battle, concerning the propaganda machine that is the public school system. After enough people see the lies, they can then start non-violent opposition. If that fails to succeed, only then should violence be used.

And again, like I said before . . . everyone thinks it will be instantaneous.

NO!

It took us many decades, if not a century or more to get this far around the Constitution. It will take AT LEAST that long to get back to it. The more people that wake up, the quicker it goes.

The seeds have been planted. Now we have to work the fields to see a good crop. We harvest the fruits of our labors at a later time.

If people do not want to wake up, or the government resists the change back to the Constitution, then we must change the government forcefully, as our founding fathers told us to do. That is, if the people who want the change have the balls to use the tools the founders wrote into the constitution if it comes time to do so.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Really you are sounding like a bunch of phychopathic kids... Just because someone might want to take a bit of metal off you...

No because the guy who DID walk in on me was holding a pistol. TOO bad for him I heard him breaking in and was holding a shotgun..... He ran.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
nice try OP ... but those who've never been threatened will never understand.

20yrs ago, ppl who favored guns weren't permitted inside my home ... well, guess what? times change and so do ppl and so should their ability to protect themselves.

How do i know? Because roughly one year ago, i finally conceded and bought my first pistol (taurus millenium - 9m) ... learned it, learned to handle it and learned how to rationalize the Need to use it.
(no, i don't have a CWP yet)

Surprisingly, last Sept, those efforts were superbly tested.
Mid-afternoon, following a previous day of threats, cops, animal control and citations, a crazy neighbor lady (later found to be extremely inebriated) jumped the fence, toppled the gas grill (with full tank), cleared storage shelves by the armload and then proceeded toward the shed (which was fully stocked with all kinds of weaponry / 3axe, dozen knives, swords, power tools, gardening equip) ... point is, there were plenty of available weapons at her disposal.

From the moment i witnessed her aggressive approach toward the fence, i called 911 and requested assistance. They finally showed up, after she was shot AND the ambulance had arrived.

Now, this person was not visibly armed at the time she was fired upon, however, she had clear intent, at one point she wielded a 6ft rake, and she refused multiple commands to stop, leave, don't go in there, leave now, you're trespassing (signage present), stop or i'll shoot. All of the above warnings were issued and more by 2 different people. Once she entered the lanai and continued toward the door, she was shot.

Luckily for her, she was shot just below the right knee and will certainly have repercussions from the injury, but had my mate fired, she would be dead (he was targeting right between her eyes) ... this is all of Her own doing. we defended ourselves, our home, our company and our critters. Now, what is wrong with that?

The PD was online on the phone for the Entire event, (their main office is less than 1 mile from event location) yet, the first officer arrived After the ambulance and the emts were already addressing the wound.

So you shot a drunk woman who was "not visably armed"? How on earth can you think that is justified? Oh wait, I suppose she did previously wave a 6 foot rake at you. Being an inebriated female she could have also done some damage with that gardening appliance which would have almost certainly been much bigger than herself.

I think that is a terrible story and can't disagree more with how you reacted. If a tipsy bird came stumbling through my garden I would laugh, not shoot the poor thing.

I signed up to this forum to reply to this thread and post.

I live in the South of England. I am 24 and have never seen a gun, I've never heard of anyone owning a gun and I have never heard of anyone being shot within any of the local areas I have lived in. This is primarily down to the fact that we can't have guns.

Do the pro-gun Americans really not realise that guns sole and only purpose is to kill?

The only reason you have so many guns held by criminals (which I appreciate is why non-criminal gun owners need them) is because of your second ammendment (I believe it's the second ammendment - I may be wrong).

The pro-gun attitude of "I need my gun in case they try and take my gun away" makes me laugh.

I agree that it's a bit late to just ban or outlaw guns. However a long term plan should be put in place to erradicate the need for them.

Anyway, thanks for reading my first post.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Why should the species with the bigger brain be prey for an animal? Again your logic is pointless. You go work out in the wild without a gun where bears and mountain lions and rattle snakes exist and lets just see how long you stay alive sound fair? A year being alive out there might sound like a long time even 10 years, but 1 time you step to close to that snake and cant defend against it you die. One time you walk near that bears cub on accident you die. One time your not paying attention and cleaning a fish and a mountain lion stumbles onto you and you try to run because you lack a weapon you are dead.

Again you go ahead and live in a city and live your life how you want. No one is telling you that you can't why tell others how to live?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join