It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all the people who want to ban guns.

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

Not sure I understand where you are going with this one... Are you telling me I have the right to pay a few hundred for a handgun, but then I should use it like a fancy club and hit an attacker with it rather than shoot em?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
reply to post by VI0811

After I stopped laughing and regained my composure I gave ya a big bright shinning star. Thnx for the

I have to say, I am stunned by the ignorance of some of the post in this thread, mostly from people that DON'T live in this country. A week or two in Watts, S. Central or E. LA. would probably change their position on the topic. I do not want to live in a world/country without guns, I like to shoot, eat meat and the liberty to be able to defend myself from wild animals and people that want to kill me. I would however, would love to live in a world without violence, where I don't need to have a weapon of any kind to defend myself against man, unfortunately that's not a reality and everyone on this forum knows it. Humans are violent, they always have been since the beginning of time and all ways will be. Can anyone explain to me why the most barbaric and gruesome mass murders ever committed on this planet were long before guns were ever invented? People kill people not guns, pull your head out of the sand and imply the forums motto....deny ignorance.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more. My friends, myself included, all own guns, we spend many afternoons target shooting in a safe area many miles from anywhere. None of us have ever used a gain for violence. I hunt, not for sport, but because I enjoy certain foods, I never hunt more than I need and never break the rules when doing so. No matter where you go, there is always one bad egg in the bunch, and why certain people judge the populace as a whole because of the one, I don't know ..

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
ATF= Treasury Dept....................Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms - the law enforcement and tax collection agency of the Treasury Department that enforces federal laws concerning alcohol and tobacco products and firearms and explosives and arson

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
double post oops
edit on 14-1-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by VI0811
My friends, myself included, all own guns, we spend many afternoons target shooting in a safe area many miles from anywhere. None of us have ever used a gain for violence. I hunt, not for sport, but because I enjoy certain foods, I never hunt more than I need and never break the rules when doing so. No matter where you go, there is always one bad egg in the bunch, and why certain people judge the populace as a whole because of the one, I don't know.

I don't own a gun, but I have several friends who are responsible hunters. I have no problem with that. I don't hunt but I have fired guns at a range...skeet are tough to cook and taste bad, btw. In fact, I once shot a garden gnome with an AR15 sniper rifle, in the Poconos. That's right...got 'im in the Poconos...and had a laff-riot.

I'm not going to argue that you Americans shouldn't have guns...it's your country and the laws are your own.

But I do observe that you do seem to shoot each other at an alarming rate. The rest is nobody's business but your own.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This has been going around on facebook and i 100% agree.

To everyone who is calling for stricter gun laws in light of the tragedy in Tucson, may I offer this little tidbit: If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat. Remember: Hold the person accountable for their actions, not the means they chose to utilize!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

The 2nd ammendment only covers the right to bears arms.

That being said, the discharge portion (against a person) would be covered in rights to self defense, or in aggravavted assualt/murder.

Outside of that, ie: sport shooting, hunting, etc. you would be very hard pressed to find any country, that allows guns, willing to prosecute the safe and controlled discharges.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Areas of the US are virtually crime free. NH for instance.

In much of the country people either cannot arm themselves or choose not to.

That fact makes your point moot.

You guys are obviously more like Canada than the US.
Not a bad thing IMHO

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I'm a hippy-minded, liberal californian.... And there is no doubt in my mind that people should never lose their right to bear arms.

I'm for freedom and liberty across the board. To me thats what it means to be liberal minded... You stay open minded... People can marry whoever they want, everyone has equal rights, we dont infringe on women's rights, mosques, churches, and satanic alters can be erected wherever zoning allows, and whoever wants a gun can get a gun.

Just let people be free and stop using tragedies as a reason to take those freedoms away. When you take freedoms away, its like giving up on people, saying people cant learn, people need to have a freedom removed because we give up trying to teach them why this is wrong. Screw that...

We invade countries, bomb hospitals, pollute the oceans and air, and worship the mighty dollar above all things.... To then have some sort of ethical problem with guns and abortions and gay people.... Who the hell are we to say no to any of it?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mwc273

Thomas Jefferson got a lot of things right.

...but then again, no-one's perfect

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson

While that statement may have been tru then, he had no idea where the arms manufacturers would take the industry. I doubt very much that if he were alive today he would make the same statement. He would probably bemoan the fact that taking down a corrupt government would have become so difficult.
edit on 1/14/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Thanks for the understaning Johnny, thats all I'm looking for and I'm sure most others that live here, your priorities seem to be very well in place, you've had one of the most un-biased and rational replies in this entire thread. For the record I think Canada and UK are our brothers and awesome people and we will always have your back as for the most part you've always had ours. Moosehead and a Guiness on me.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

I would however, would love to live in a world without violence, where I don't need to have a weapon of any kind to defend myself against man, unfortunately that's not a reality and everyone on this forum knows it. Humans are violent, they always have been since the beginning of time and all ways will be.

Just one case is all it takes to prove your assumption wrong. I present my life.

I have live more than 60 years without a gun, ever having been threatened with a gun, without ever feeling I needed a gun, without any friends owning a gun. Not once did I ever need a gun. There is crime in the city I live in, and some criminals have found a way to get a gun -- 99.9% of the time it is something drug related.

I am sure I am not the only one on this planet to have had this kind of life -- not heaven, but not the hell you seem to think is normal either. Guns are not necessary in civilized places.

It is absurd to think you can ban guns in a city while the state still allows them. It is absurd to ban guns in one state if the neighboring one allows them. Piecemeal won't work. You restrict them universally, or not at all. You guys have to live with your decisions, and have chosen to live in fear.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

While that statement may have been tru then, he had no idea where the arms manufacturers would take the industry. I doubt very much that if he were alive today he would make the same statement. He would probably bemoan the fact that taking down a corrupt government would have become so difficult.
reply to post by wayno

But we still have that option to do so, as we're not rendered deffensless against anyone including our gov, few others on the planet still have that ability or the right to do so, we still have a country that allows us to have freewill, although that seems to be changing by the day in the states.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by wayno

You restrict them universally, or not at all.

Okay. So when every country on Earth agrees to obliterate every last firearm on the planet with absolutely no chance any will slip through the cracks ever and absolutely no chance anybody will ever reproduce one ever including the armies of the world I'll consider your proposition.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by wayno

You restrict them universally, or not at all.

Okay. So when every country on Earth agrees to obliterate every last firearm on the planet with absolutely no chance any will slip through the cracks ever and absolutely no chance anybody will ever reproduce one ever including the armies of the world I'll consider your proposition.

As I noted before, our illegal hand guns and other weapons used in crimes are easily smuggled across the border from the US where they are plentiful into Canada, and that is a problem, especially in places like Toronto. We are still better off tho by having restrictions in place than without them; otherwise life here would be just like it is state-side. At this point, for most of us, it is way peaceful in comparison.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Just one case is all it takes to prove your assumption wrong. I present my life.

Well then I have just one case to prove it's a wash, I have been threatened with deadly force as I stated earlier on in this post and a gun could have and probably did save my life, so I present to you my life to prove your point mute. There is not one anti gun reply on this thread that I cannot punch a hole in and make their point worthless, especially yours wayno, but you can keep trying.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by wayno

According to the stats from the RCMP posted by JohnnyCanuk that 'problem' amounted to 32 guns and all were confiscated at the border.

There was no mention in the stats whether the guns were from criminal activity or just from honest people lacking proper permits.

Quite the problem you've got there.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
reply to post by wayno

Well then I have just one case to prove it's a wash, I have been threatened with deadly force as I stated earlier on in this post and a gun could have and probably did save my life, so I present to you my life to prove your point mute. There is not one anti gun reply on this thread that I cannot punch a hole in and make their point worthless, especially yours wayno, but you can keep trying.

What you are missing is that the state of affairs where you live is of your own doing -- not you personally, but all of those who have built up this violent and gun ridden society. In that context you pretty much have to have a gun. But why is it that way? Because you made gun ownership allowable you almost have to have one now lest you be the odd man out.

We have this society here in Canada because we made it that way. We made decisions based on knowing human nature and human weaknesses and now have a society where a gun isn't necessary.

You made your bed; now lay in it. All I am pointing out is that is not the only way to live. It is a decision you guys have made. It is not a universal reality. There is a very remote possiblility of changing things, but most of you would rather die defending a failed sytem than change it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

"You made your bed; now lay in it. All I am pointing out is that is not the only way to live. It is a decision you guys have made. It is not a universal reality. There is a very remote possiblility of changing things, but most of you would rather die defending a failed sytem than change it."

Your right, I would rather be dead than allowing my gov to control every aspect of my life and make all my decisions for me as your's has for you. You've been conditioned to do what your gov tells you to do rather than standing up for yourself for what you think's right or wrong. Don't worry though we will come up and save you when you realize the stones you're throwing at your invaders don't seem to be working so well. I'm out of here I have another horse to go beat to death and this discussion with you is a waste of my time. cheers mate.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

You are spreading misinformation bro. Canada is not gunless by a long shot. In my province it is still legal to own a handgun, even an"assault rifle". Maybe in the province you live in, it is all koombuya and there are no guns etc, but it is not a canada wide thing by a long shot.

edit on Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:31:16 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join