It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Wow amazing photo's i hope you and your family / friends are ok?

I guess in some ways Ipswich, Bris and surround area's have got it abit easier as they are expecting it and the water is only rising slowly, whereas Tawoomba was hit hard and fast!

Hope you guys get back on track soon, i wish i was closer and be able to come and help first hand
edit on 12-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

Yeh thanks mate everyone I know is safe now.

In some ways Toowoomba is worse, in other ways we're better off. Even though it was a freak flash flood, it was localised to the CBD, therefore mainly cars and shops were damaged. Also, the water here does its damage and then leaves. All of the other places will have water sitting around for days/weeks.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words and I wish everyone well in Brisbane/Ipswich and anywhere else which is flooded today.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
Well i'm not complaining, just posting news and keeping my thread upto date.

I thank you for the updates Havick007. My head is spinning trying to keep up with all the different news outlets, sites, tv and text and phone messages from my family up in Brissy.

It's nice to have some all in one place.
Keep up the good work

And something else to think about once the water start to recede.
Relatives further north told me about this the other day:

Rockhampton: Snakes in the Rain: Flood-Stricken Australia's Reptilian Guests

And as the rain slows down today in some areas, residents of flood-stricken zones find themselves with yet another predicament: they are not the only ones scrambling to get on dry land.
In Rockhampton, a town of 77,000 on the Queensland coast, crocodiles, brown snakes and taipans, another, less common snake species in the area, have been emerging from the murky floodwaters, looking for shelter from their now underwater habitats and endangering residents and emergency workers. Staff at the Rockhampton airport have compared the watery runway there to a wildlife park. Safety officer Kevin Lucas told the Australian on Thursday that he has killed around 40 snakes at the airport, one of which he likened to the Loch Ness Monster. "They're everywhere," he said. "They've all been washed down the system and this is where they've ended up."

While this is way further north, the amount of displaced wildlife in these recent southern floods would be just as devasting.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

While this is way further north, the amount of displaced wildlife in these recent southern floods would be just as devasting.

Yeah that's going to be a big problem. In Brisbane wildlife is being swept down the river from upstream and out to the islands in the bay where it will probably upset the ecosystems. All the debris and waste water will also damage the moreton bay aquatic life. I heard a cow was spotted 12km out to sea and was still swimming! There's also been bull sharks found in the flood water around peoples homes, as well as the problem with snakes taking up residence in peoples houses.

The environment will take a long time to recover by the looks of things, especially in the bay where man made pollutants cause damage that nature isn't used to coping with.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by squandered

I was under the impression that the pipline was only built part way. I know I worked on the pipline from Winneke Dam up through to Toolangi. I thaught thats as far as it went.

I know there were mega protests abot the building of it.

As for the drought over.. hmm we're still on restrictions down here, will be for some time.

I hope yous guys in Qld get through this OK.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

I thought it was fully built but not operational. You may know better than me.

I'm a Victorian. We are still happy to see more rain. Damns still have some filling up to do.

The droughts not officially over, but I'm calling it. To be fair we may have dry years ahead, but as from now, we'll cope with 5 dry years no problems... My fathers damns are full again. He's harvested enough hay for 5 dry years. That much is good news.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
On the other side of the world the Brazilian Flood has claimed 250 lives now.

Brazilian Flood on BBC

While we recover here in Queensland, let us turn our thoughts now to the people in Brazil who are suffering in the same way.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Quit feeding the trolls. That is all.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
This is a catastrophe.

To the people of Queensland, we kiwis will try and help you all we can as John said.

Meanwhile, to all those who have lost eveything I give my deepest sympathy.

And to those who have died in this tragedy, I give you my sorrow and my respect, as I do to your loved ones.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Seems to be a lot of flooding in the Southern hemisphere right now and Ice in the Northern heliosphere.

Things are really out of Whack right now...

We should be in 40+ Degree heats right now in Vic, but outside it feels almost tropical.. Warm but wet!!

Mother nature is having a nervous breakdown me thinks..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Lets not forget the Philippines, Sri Lanka and South Africa

Floods have wreaked havoc in these places as well over the last two weeks.. it just hasn't been reported as widely as Qld.

Hopefully you Aussies are over the worst of it now and the cleanup can begin! Good luck to you all!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

All the best mate, I hope you all pull through.
Those lost and still missing, I hope most will be found once the chaos dies down and communications return. RIP to those poor souls already found to have persihed.
Appreciate the pics and the info. I can't imagine how you all are feeling and Its great that you took the time to share your ordeal with us.

Thanks again and once again all the best to you, and all your family and friends.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

We should be in 40+ Degree heats right now in Vic, but outside it feels almost tropical.. Warm but wet!! Mother nature is having a nervous breakdown me thinks..

Read this and you will understand La Nina

I wish Oz Weatherman was here too explain it but i reckon he is very busy especially with a new cyclone brewing of the WA coast called Vince

Wal

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
she'll be right cobber

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
***News Update***
Thursday, January 13, 2011 » 07:30pm

Brisbane River to fall by 1.2m by Friday

Brisbane residents can expect to see a significant drop in the flood level when they wake on Friday morning.

Manager of the Bureau of Meteorology's Flood Warning Service, Peter Baddiley, said the Brisbane River had been slowly falling since reaching a peak of 4.46 metres early Thursday morning.

The peak was around one metre less than the levels in the 1974 floods.

Forecasters said it is expected to fall to 3.2 metres by Friday morning.

'For residents affected by the flood, they will notice a significant fall when they see the river in daylight,' Mr Baddiley said.

Full Story: bigpondnews.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6f9f8129c6a.jpg[/atsimg]

Update:

Thursday, January 13, 2011 » 10:06pm

Two men in a tinnie have pulled off a dramatic rescue on the swollen Brisbane River after a yacht capsized, plunging its two occupants into the water.

Queensland Police said the pair were lucky to escape serious injury after the yacht broke its moorings just after 5.30pm (AEST) on Thursday and began floating at speed down the river.

It then hit a submerged object, tearing a hole in the bottom and eventually tipping, throwing the men into the water.

Full Story: bigpondnews.com...

More Information:

qldfloods.org...

Updates Courtesy: 24/7 Flood Centre News.com.au

10.20pm: Up to 80 trucks are stranded on the side of road at Halfway Creek, north of Coffs Harbour, a reader reports.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/196db96129fd.jpg[/atsimg]

9.51pm: Army all-terrain vehicles will be deployed tonight to assist thousands of families stranded in Brisbane's west who are running out of food.

9.14pm: The latest update on the Brisbane River rescue is that two people have been rescued in front of the historic Customs House building, after their stricken yacht capsized while floating out of control down the Brisbane River, The Courier-Mail reports.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec98fef32762.jpg[/atsimg]

8.33pm: Water use warning. From The Chronicle:

DALBY'S water treatment plant is again at risk of failing as an already swollen Condamine River has started to rise again.

Western Downs Regional Council has asked residents to limit all water use to drinking, showering and emergency only. No food clean-up or outside use is allowed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5262f768935e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e7b8bb5207b.jpg[/atsimg]
(Ipswich Coles Before)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a03c697e22bd.jpg[/atsimg]
(Ipswich Coles After)

Nine News
By Megan Neil, Tracey Ferrier and AAP reporters

Bligh sheds tears for shattered state

Queensland faces a reconstruction task of post-war proportions and it may be many months before some of the thousands of evacuees can go home, an emotional premier has warned.

After Brisbane was crippled by flooding and a third of Ipswich went under water, authorities were increasingly concerned that the border town of Goondiwindi would be the next to be hit by raging floodwaters.

The town's 6000 residents were on standby to evacuate on Thursday night

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6f8b88f02e7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4db65b1a7528.jpg[/atsimg]

Full Story: news.ninemsn.com.au...

Further Media:

***News Alert Urgent***

Residents in the town of Goondawindi are bracing for rising flood waters tonight, be alert and stay safe.

FLOOD WARNING SYSTEM for the MACINTYRE AND WEIR RIVERS

Flood Risk
The Macintyre and Weir Rivers drain an area of about 44,000 square kilometres, most of which lies in the southern border parts of Queensland, with a small part of the basin extending into New South Wales. The Macintyre River has three main tributaries - the Macintyre River in New South Wales, the Dumaresq River along the border, and the Macintyre Brook. Major flooding can occur along each of these river systems causing isolation of towns and rural lands, and severe flooding at times in the Goondiwindi area.

Major flooding is also experienced along the Weir River which joins the Macintyre about 200 kilometres downstream from Goondiwindi, near Talwood.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b3da26b1cb8c.jpg[/atsimg]

Further Information: www.bom.gov.au...

Nail-biting wait as flood heads for Goondiwindi

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e7a74156f02b.jpg[/atsimg]

The small Queensland town of Goondiwindi is bracing itself for floodwaters with fears the Macintyre River could breach a levee.

The Macintyre is expected to reach a peak of 10.85 metres late tonight or early tomorrow morning, which will come close to the 11m levee bank.

A hospital and nursing home have been evacuated in the town as a precautionary measure against the floods.

"We already know it will be a record flood water level in Goondiwindi, the question is whether that level will go over the edge of the levee bank," Premier Anna Bligh said

Full Story: news.ninemsn.com.au...

edit on 13-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
News Update as death toll rises - my heart goes out to all those affected!!

Body found in Myall Creek takes Queensland floods death toll to 15

POLICE say a body has been found in Myall Creek near Dalby, taking the official Queensland floods death toll to 15.

The body was discovered in the Lockyer Valley region, west of Brisbane.

"Police have now discovered the body of a male person at Myall Creek," Queensland Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts told a media briefing.

Mr Roberts said the total number of people missing was 61, with grave fears for another 12.

Earlier today, Premier Anna Bligh announced the first fatality confirmed in Brisbane.

She said a 24-year-old man had been checking his father's inundated property in suburban Durack when he was sucked down a storm drain.

Full Story: www.news.com.au...

**Skipper tells how tug boat saved bridge**

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03c400567a66.jpg[/atsimg]

HEROES can emerge anywhere. This morning it was at the helm of a tugboat working hard to save one of Brisbane's most important cross-river links, the Gateway Bridges, from major damage.

Some 13 tugs and Water Police guided sections of the Riverwalk safely under the bridge and down the river after it started breaking away from the New Farm bank last night.

The 850m-long, 5.5m-wide piece of infrastructure, built about 12 years ago for $17 million, began breaking off its pylons about 11pm.

Tugboat skipper Doug Hislop of Bowen Tugs and Barges said he was listening to the radio about 4am today when he heard about a 400m section of boardwalk heading towards the Gateway.

Full Story: www.news.com.au...

Further Images of Ipswich and Brisbane:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e9d998f6baf9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/192e3d7d33de.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2a7b5422b855.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0caa7113d16.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/598f88bd9a65.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

No probs, i'm having trouble as well, there are so many news sources now
i dont know where to start...

Yeah i thought about that, all the snakes and even the possibility of fresh water Crocs in the water ways. On the today show Carl mentioned he saw a massive Python in the water around Brisbane but there hasnt been any mention as yet about Crocs...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Further Video Updates ( Courtesy 7 News Australia )

Birds eye view of Brisbane and News reports from earlier today - Entire suburbs flooded

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
at all the pathetic attmepted flames.
just to clear up one thing I have no love for humanity that is true why? because on the whole I find humans to be arrogant, ignorant and totally less intelligent than that of a germ and no wisdom whatsoever. Building on a flood plain that has been known to flood well just really claifies my points dosent it

edit on 11/1/2011 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

Then this would include yourself...!!

You hate yourself and your life. You definitely are arrogant. Your much less intelligent than most people who post constructively on these boards, And your a Germ....

Also for your info, many of these areas affected right now, are not flood plains. 75% of Qld is under water and less than half that is actual flood plain. This flood is unprecedented and a lot of homes & towns were inundated and washed away because of an 8meter wall of water rushing down from the hills across the flatter lands, then settling in the lower areas. An "Inland Tsunami", is what they called it I think..

So in the time honored tradition of my fellow Aussies, I'll give you the typical aussie comeback

GET STUFT MATE!!!
edit on 1/13/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
reply to post by Tayesin

Seems to be a lot of flooding in the Southern hemisphere right now and Ice in the Northern heliosphere.

Things are really out of Whack right now...

We should be in 40+ Degree heats right now in Vic, but outside it feels almost tropical.. Warm but wet!!

Mother nature is having a nervous breakdown me thinks..

I agree.

In the UK we, in the matter of a week, have gone from the most severe winter weather on record, to unseasonaly high tempretures and have this comming :

TORNADOES could smash Britain’s coastline this weekend Forecasters have warned the UK will be blasted by gale-force winds as hot and cold air meet across the sea By Monday the south and south-west will have been swamped by an extra five inches of rain.

And swirling tornadoes at sea, which are known as waterspouts, will surge towards coastal towns and cities After suffering weeks of sub-zero temperatures, new milder air has caused havoc Weather expert Jonathan Powell said: “It may wel yield waterspout activity off the UK coastline.”

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by auswally

Here is some more info on TC Vince:

www.bom.gov.au...

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join