It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Wivenhoe Dam releasing waay to much water:

all that water is heading downstream and on a collision course with Brisbane and it's surrounding area's.

I have to add, this Dam was built to withstand alot of water, but the current water level is below:

Wivenhoe Dam ( Cap: ) -1,165,238ML @ 100% //--// ( Current Storage Lvls: ) 2,049,705ML @ 193.0% - Capacity --//-- CURRRENT:11/01/2011 09:00AM Releases from storage underway.//

Update:

Wivenhoe Dam
The Flood Operations Centre has begun an appropriate closure sequence to reduce releases.

The releases from Wivenhoe Dam have been temporarily reduced to 215,000 megalitres per day to allow the peak of Lockyer Creek to enter the Brisbane River.

After the downstream peak in the lower Brisbane River has passed, releases will be increased to maximum of 301,000 megalitres per day.

The Flood Operations Centre is continuing to monitor rainfalls and water levels through the Brisbane and Pine catchments and reviewing operating strategy every 30 minutes.

The Centre is also maintaining close contact with warning agencies and local councils.

(Courtesy: www.seqwater.com.au... )

Source: www.seqwater.com.au...

Homepage: www.seqwater.com.au...

edit on 12-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
Internet connect is highly unstable and I'd say power will go off again soon. Am expecting the water to reach my place overnight, and have done all I can. Worst part is that my house hasn't only got all of mine and my flatmates possessions, but 2 other peoples worth as well who have already fled worse conditions in the West End and had come to us thinking we would be safer.

Good luck Foof!

IRM

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This is a real tragedy. I hope people find a way to survive this.

Where are all the pledges of humanitarian aid?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My prayers go out to the people of Australia.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Yesterday was the first time I have ever heard the term "inland Tsunami". The wall of water that rushed into some areas was apparently 8m tall and smashed everything in its way to pieces.

Wow, I saw the video of a house being washed away "a whole house", with a number of people in it...!!

Black Saturday for Vic and this for Qld.

Australia has had some bad luck over the last few years, with disasters. I lived in Longwarry when the Bunyip fire tore through during Black Saturday. So I know what its like to be in the middle of a disaster..!!

I pray for my fellow Aussies in Brissie.

The Vic fire season is also now under way and two months in. So far so good here. Lets hope AU doesn't make headlines again this year..

edit on 1/12/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Update as of 03:19 (AEST) Thur 13/01/2011 -

News Headline:
(Courtesy: Petrina Berry AAP(Aus Associated Press) January 13, 2011 3:19AM -

Brisbane braces for flood peak as Queensland's flood crisis continues

BRISBANE is the focus of Queensland's flood crisis with residents bracing for a devastating peak in the city's river, below the 1974 flood level.

Premier Anna Bligh has warned that Brisbane residents will wake today to "shocking" flood scenes despite the peak being downgraded to below the 1974 peak of 5.45 metres.

She said Brisbane had developed significantly since 1974 and that there were many more built-up areas that would be affected by flooding now compared to then.
The Bureau of Meteorology said river level rises this morning were expected "with a peak under 5.0 metres expected with the high tide at 4am AEST (5am AEDT)".

Full Story: www.news.com.au...

Further affected area's:

Further Updates Live:

Brisbane braces for flood peak - Thursday, January 13, 2011 » 04:44am

The Brisbane River is rising to a peak below five metres, under the 1974 flood level, say authorities who are warning that this peak will still be devastating.

Premier Anna Bligh has warned that Brisbane residents will wake on Thursday to 'shocking' flood scenes despite the peak being downgraded to below the 1974 peak of 5.45 metres.

She said Brisbane had developed significantly since 1974 and that there were many more built-up areas that would be affected by flooding now compared to then.
The Bureau of Meteorology said river level rises on Thursday morning were forecast 'with a peak under 5.0 metres expected with the high tide at 4am AEST (5am AEDT)'.

ENERGEX said 125,000 homes and businesses would on Thursday be without power in south-east Queensland - almost 80,000 in the greater Brisbane area, 30,000 in Ipswich and surrounding suburbs, 4,200 in the Lockyer Valley, and pockets around Redcliffe, Gympie, Logan and the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.

'Brisbane will go to sleep tonight and wake up to scenes that they have, many of them, never seen anything like in their lives,' Ms Bligh told reporters late on Wednesday.

Full Story: bigpondnews.com...

Whole of Brisbane Flood Modelling Map:

www.brisbane.qld.gov.au...

Google Crisis Maps Live: www.google.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

What really gets me is the amount of water coming in is so staggering, yet we're still officially in the middle of a drought.

Once all of this dies down, we'll be back on water restrictions...

Wish there was some way to funnel all this water to WA and Vic. There was talk recently of building a pipeline down to Vic from NSW. Perhaps they should do it after all and extend it to Qld. It would create a lot of jobs and take some pressure off the northern states during flood seasons.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I truly believe we are in a "Disaster War" A year after Katrina a Hurricane as big suddenly appeared just south of New Orleans, and in 48 hrs completely disappear at once. The earthquake in China, the flood in the area of Pakistan where Al Qeade thought to be. Australia now another unusual event. I wrote about Greenhouse effect in my book and this is not Global Warming. It is too localized in certain areas. I am sure if we have Scalar Weapons so does China.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I hope the apology is sincere! That has to be the coldest, dispassionate, most heartless response I've ever read.

Back on topic, my heart and prayers go out to all in Brisbane and the surrounding area.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Hi OP

Thanks for all the updates S&F. I've got family in Currumbin Valley just south of Brisbane and I've been trying to keep on top of the story.

You might be able to help me.

I caught a glimpse of some footage earlier today (UK time) and have had trouble tracking it down. It blew me away. Their was this land, and from the air this wall of water was racing across this farmer's field like a wall of wild horses. It stunned me but I haven't seen it since. Got any ideas?

Regards

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I am so sorry this is happening. I was deployed with some Australian Special Forces and let me tell you they were undeniably the best of the best. I was in AWE of them, always running - running - in the desert just covered in dust. My heart is with you all, I have seen some of what you are made of and I know you will pull through this. That said, I wish I could help in some way. Thoughts and prayers with all of you.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
awesome news for brisbane the flood has peaked at 4.45 m which is a meter below the predicted peak

this is still a major disaster though with many thousands of houses and people affected in brisbane and also in other areas of queensland and now 13 deaths

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well we've reached morning, have power strangely enough and the water is lapping at our stairs... but it didn't get any higher.

Reading back a few posts it looks like the predictions were a bit high, so am hugely thankful for that at the moment. Another metre of water and we would've been floating in our sleep.

Now the question is... how long will we be stuck in the house by the water lol. Got plenty of food and fresh water stored up, and with the power not out it makes it even easier meaning we won't have to ditch whatever is in the fridge also.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

That's a terrible situation to be in, my thoughts go out to you. The fact that this is happening to you and you are still able and willing to be on here denying ignorance with the rest of us speaks volumes. Thanks for that.

Pretty amazing you still have power, I hope you're being safe with it, and that you are also geared up for if/when it fails.

Can you imagine going back to a pre-internet era, being 'unconnected' to the world? I don't rely on MSM for any of my media/news consumption anymore. It wouldn't even occur to me to switch on a TV or check the BBC website for news of this disaster now. Straight on ATS and then also go check out a source of news local to the story.

best wishes

spook

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Spotted this ketch , adrift and unmanned , 10 km. upstreamof CBD ,yesterday .
Brisbane river looks like a deadly sea of mud .
A number of barges are also loose , and their talking of sinking them to stop them colliding with low bridges downstream ...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

The pipeline has already been built, but it's not that big (compared to the excess) and it was meant as a safeguard in case Melbourne runs out of water. At the moment Victoria's damns are fairly high. Different story last year but the drought has broken.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I thought this video was very good. It shows the reality from the locals perspective. I'm a bit moved by this one.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrBones666

Originally posted by loner007
I am sorry but i cant stop laughing. I said in other posts regarding mans affect on the climate that we will see extreme weather all over the world as the planet tries to get rid of its excess heat. read up on Gaia theory and you might understand.

That's disgusting and you should be banned. You can't stop laughing? People are dying. Houses and lives are being destroyed.

I moved away from Brisbane three years ago but I still have lots of friends and family there, including my parents only 100km from where that is, it's flooded where they live too. Your comment is vulgar, and shows absolutely no compassion for humanity whatsoever.

Maybe a flood should wash away your family, house, and car, then see how jovial you feel.

That's a great example of how psychotic the environmental death cult really is.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join