It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Just heard earlier on Triple M (Radio station that is in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane), that the flooded areas of Qld cover the same area as Germany and France combined. So that should tell you how much of the State is affected.

Such a shame that this random stuff keeps happening down here. Hope all goes well for those of you up North, and remember that you'll always have help from the rest of the country.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

+61 is the Australian country code

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The whole Australia flooding is getting blown out of proportion. It is being reported as Aussies worst disaster ever. What a load of crap it is not that bad, I was around for when the flood in the 70's hit, let me tell you mates this is no where near it. We Australians blow everything out of the water, we want a disaster to get free money, hell our country was founded with thieves anyways... Don't let the MSM fool you mates, we Aussies got this under control, we are superior, G'day mates.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Queenslanders helped us through the Dreadful bushfires and now we are helping you guys. If their is one thing i can say from my experiences from the bushfires, 'You may lose your house but you still have your life, houses can be rebuilt but life's are lost forever'. RIP to the victimes. Their is light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Thanks heaps
That makes sense as per my mobile/cell number.

Here is an international hotline for anyone that has family or friends in the effected area's:

+61 73055 6220 - use only if really needed as lines are very busy.

Other contact information ( National ) :

today.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Geez the rubberneckers are a real problem, the traffic tonight has been surprising for a Wednesday night, as I was waiting to pull out I had to wait 5 mins for a gap in the cars loaded with families taking pictures. These selfish people are blocking roads as they slow to take pictures, causing congestion for emergency services, there's also some drag racers further out who've taken advantage of the re-directed police services which is real dangerous considering many traffic lights and street lamps are out .

I suppose its all because many people will have the next few days off work so although its much worse that a normal mid-weeknight its kinda like a Friday or saturday night, but still.

I don't know what complaining about it here will do, I just wish people would consider the needs of others over their own selfish want to see the show with their own eyes. There are other ways they could check it out without clogging the roads.

Rant over.
edit on 12-1-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MisterCrowley

Lol sorry, but the continual adding of so called "Aussie" euphemisms makes me think you aren't Australian at all!
No offence intended.

And as a side note, just to show that the Queenslanders still have a sense of humour, there are reports going around that someone has put some floaties and a snorkel set on the statue of "King" Wally Lewis at Suncorp Stadium.

For those that don't know who he is, he is one of Australia's best Rugby League players.

Got a good laugh from me when I heard that, even though things are so bad up there at the moment. Gotta love the Aussie sense of humour!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I can not believe the global community has not contributed money to us yet... We will be handing out the numbers so you can donate to our flooding fund soon. Thanks for all your great contributions.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Hmm not quite right, There was a comparison to New Orleans on the news tonight.

I will put it in propurtion for you ok....

New orleans suffered flooding to over 200,000 sq2 mts of land and property. Currently the QLD floods have affected over 1,000,000.00sq2 mts of land and is still rising and do not forget that Brisbane is Australia's 3rd largest Capital city, along with all it's suburbs and surrounding towns. Dont forget all the regional and rural towns that were slammed by massive flash floods.

No need to be negative or heatless, perhaps do some homework first

Does that show how bad it is??
edit on 12-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The only cancer saving tree is grown there too, pfft serves them right.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Ummm, just a couple of posts up, you said that Aussies do things for money during bad times, and basically condemned the action, and now you are wondering why Australia hasn't gotten any money from the rest of the world???

Wow, talk about a backflip. You wouldn't happen to be a Politician would you???

Just hope that things get better soon. Hate to see things this bad for you guys up North. Hope all goes well, as soon as possible.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I don't know if we need it. Our economy has been strong, the government has stated they will repair all infrastructure and us Aussie's
are donating quite abit whcih all goes straight to the people and familes affected, along with Centrelink assisting in immediate payments etc.

We can look after ourselves
although it would be nice if someone would offer their help as we always do in crisis....

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll be praying for you all

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Well i'm not complaining, just posting news and keeping my thread upto date. Dont worry about anyone else that is ranting or posting off-topic junk.

Also as your in Brisbane, all the best to you and your family / friends. I hope you all stay safe and wish there was more i could do from here in VIC.

Good Luck and stay safe

Keep us updated if anything else happens before the news updates..

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

No where near the 70's? What about this then?

Floods to be worse than 1974: Premier Anna Bligh

Brisbane's flooding crisis is now likely to exceed that of 1974, Premier Anna Bligh says. ‘‘The latest advice I have in relation to the inflows into Wivenhoe [Dam] is that we can expect overnight tonight in Brisbane flood levels to reach about three metres. ‘‘By Wednesday high tide, tomorrow afternoon at about 3 o’clock, we will see it at 4.5 metres and the current predictions indicate that the river will continue to rise into Thursday, with flood levels expected higher than the 1974 peak. ‘‘The flood reached a peak of 5.45 metres in 1974. Our current modelling shows that with continued rain into Thursday, we will see the levels of the river reach higher than that.’’

Source

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by loner007
I am sorry but i cant stop laughing. I said in other posts regarding mans affect on the climate that we will see extreme weather all over the world as the planet tries to get rid of its excess heat. read up on Gaia theory and you might understand.

So, let me just get this straight, you can't stop laughing about the fact people are dying and losing their homes?

With friends like you, who needs enemies...

We had flooding in the UK in 2007 just about everywhere certainly across parts of my hometown, this was 4 miles from me

Darton Flooding 2007

Although it wasn't as bad as some and not as bad as what Brisbane is currently experiencing so he must be thinking we in the UK are immune to such things.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Really does not seem like our military is doing the greatest.... If anyone ever attacked us mate we would be up the creek without a paddle...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Blown out of proportion? WTF? You do realise that 75% of the state is underwater dont you? You do realise that the Brisbane river won't peak yet for several more hours? How about the fact that the king tide will keep the river peaked for about 12-18hrs huh?

I don't know what constitutes a national emergency to you, perhaps if a nuke went off in Brissy you might poke your head out of your cave?

The only thing I'll agree with you on is the fact that Aussies look after each other.
edit on 12/1/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

likely to exceed that of 1974

Likely is the key word there mate.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
My only point is yes it is bad, but not the worst flood we have ever had. Just saying.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join