It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocky exoplanet milestone in hunt for Earth-like worlds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Scientists are saying a rocky exoplanet outside our solar system may be the missing link in finding earth-like planets in the universe.

Rocky Exoplanet is 'Missing Link'

Astronomers have discovered the smallest planet outside our solar system, and the first that is undoubtedly rocky like Earth. Measurements of unprecedented precision have shown that the planet, Kepler 10b, has a diameter 1.4 times that of Earth, and a mass 4.6 times higher. However, because it orbits its host star so closely, the planet could not harbour life. The discovery has been hailed as "among the most profound in human history".

I think as long as our technology advances we'll find more and more of these cropping up, perhaps finding some that could actually support life. Then it's a case of getting there....

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Good find..

Always surprises me when these things are discovered, which us becoming more frequent.. We always have the same statement though, unable to harbor life, how can anyone possibly know that? We can't physically see it, don't know anything about it..
So why couldn't it harbor life?
Maybe not the same as we have here, and not as we know it but maybe there is something that is alive on one of these planets..

I can imagine, somewhere in the galaxy, there is a news story..

New rocky planet discovered, with some form of atmosphere. It is the third planet from a star in a solar system on the arm of a spiral galaxy.. Unfortunatly we consider it impossible to harbour life..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ALadInsane

Yep, I told the wife and kids to pack their bags..
We're off to our new home..

I did say to pack plenty of sunscreen though..

Planets temp is over 1000C...It's orbit is under a day and it's 23 times closer to it's sun than Mercury..
Whatta find !!

Not sure what the milestone is.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Its exciting to finding planets like ours because these planets are more likely to hold life however, most of these planets are very far away and that is the main problem.We are now starting to find more planets like and perhaps some of them are captable of having life on its surface which is very likely.As we find more of these planets the chances of life on a planet like ours increases.The universe is a big place.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I think the story is built around the fact that it is the first rocky planet discovered outside of our Solar System, hence the milestone tag.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

LOL i know i cringe when i see things like "most profound in human history". Keplers still not delivered what it set out to do, we've lost 1 of the CCDs on the craft & had quite a few safe mode events interupting data collection. Talk about spin.

I think im suffering kepler fatigue. Its frustrating not knowing why they havnt acheived less than 1.4 earth radius yet i wish they would just tell us.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALadInsane

I think the story is built around the fact that it is the first rocky planet discovered outside of our Solar System, hence the milestone tag.

No, it's the first planet close to Earth's size as far as i read it..
Though I didn't think size mattered..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

join