It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi-Tech Age Has Left Us Unfazed By Idea Of Alien Life - Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Just saw this on the website of a British newspaper over here. Not my most favourite of reads I must admit, however this story piqued my interest.

Society Wouldn't Be Fazed By Revelation Of Alien Life

The sight of flying saucers over Britain, so science fiction would have us believe, would see panicking mobs in the streets. But it seems we may be far more worldly than writers, or over-protective governments, have ever given us credit for. Psychologist Dr Albert Harrison argues that people have become so used to the idea of alien life that they would be ‘unfazed’ if the proof appeared before their eyes.

The first sentence irks me as it seems to instantly dismiss UFOs as science fiction (as I said, I'm not a fan of the paper). However if you look past the scorn ridden journalism, there is actually an interesting story to be had.

I don't know whether to agree or not. I'm not convinced technology advances have made us more inclined to go 'oh look, aliens. Didn't see THAT coming'. I'm more inclined to think it's down to people waking up over the years and seeing that there is evidence out there that can't be explained away as the northen lights, or swamp gas etc. Obviously you'd have the mass panic from some sectors, but I think a large part of society would be ready for any encounter/disclosure right now as they're prepared and aware of it anyway. It's the people who keep evidence from us that seem to be the ones playing catch up.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ALadInsane

It was agreed a long time ago that the 'public' were not ready for disclosure, so an agenda was put in play in order to educate and coerce the general 'public' in to understanding that there was more to the universe than just earth. For example The X FILES was given government funding for its first couple of episodes to see how it would go down with the people.

There are numerous threads here in the ATS history vault that talk in great depth about how the government took the decision in the 1960's to slowly, through bite sized chunks, bring around the masses to the idea that we are not alone through media and film.

edit on 11-1-2011 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Just wait to see what kind of panic will happen when a huge mothership hovers over the capital building or the streets of NYC... then we will see if people are able to deal with something like that happening.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
There's a massive difference between accepting an Idea as being possible and actually having it appear for real in your world.

Most people would freak. Imagine it, some would want to have access to the visitors, some would want to shoot at them, some would run to the hills, some would lock themselves in their houses.. most would panic First.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by belowabovetopsecret

That's under the assumption that they'd be hostile from the outset surely?

There's no footage or evidence to suggest they fly around in huge motherships. That's taking the idea of aliens/UFOs one step further by guessing they have these huge motherships. That's all guess work and the influence of Hollywood suggesting they'd do that.

I'm more inclined to go off what we've seen already.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

It was agreed a long time ago that the 'public' were not ready for disclosure, so an agenda was put in play in order to educate and coerce the general 'public' in to understanding that there was more to the universe than just earth. For example The X FILES was given government funding for its first couple of episodes to see how it would go down with the people.

There are numerous threads here in the ATS history vault that talk in great depth about how the government took the decision in the 1960's to slowly, through bite sized chunks, bring around the masses to the idea that we are not alone through media and film.

THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM: DISCLOSURE=MASS PANIC.
If the majority of the people in the world not know nothing and suddenly there is an Event like an Alien Contact, which will be the repercussions? PANIC! Of course....

TPTB, Governments and Elites are waste many many time in order to educate and coerce the general 'public' in to understanding that there many other cilivizations, many other people, different from us, but like us, out there.

In my opinion, it is absolutely necessary that the things begin to change very quickly in the International Media News about the Alien existence and to begin to share the message for the masses about the existence of other Extraterrestrial Civilizations.

The Path for a "Soft Disclosure" is, first of all, to confirm the existence of LIFE in our solar system. Mars, Moon, Titan, Europa etc.

Second: statements by United Nations and governments involved that: "Yes, we know these people (different civilizations) from many many time. We have agreements, from many many time, with them. They are NOT Hostile at all."

But the time goes by.... All the Governments and Agencies involved in this vital issue, must give, Now, a huge spin.
In my opinion there is not so much time.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Hi, firstly, is there proof that the American government funded the first couple of episodes and the purpose behind it? I do mean proof though, not speculation. ET life has been the subject of films for almost as long as the medium has existed - but then so have vampires - are they also going to be disclosed anytime soon?

Personally I'm really not a believer in the notion that globally the existence of visiting extra terrestrials has definitely happened and if it has that any government - never mind every government - has managed to keep this from the public, and of course that assumes that for some reason only one nation is aware of this or that every nation knows and has kept the same secret for over 50 years. I appreciate this is a belief thing - really not enough solid evidence to prove it is the case and of course it's tricky to prove a double negatvie. If it has been the case then I'd be as excited as anyone.

Having said the above, I think the article is right but maybe not to the extent it goes to. I would really not be surprised if evidence of life is found on some non earth planet/moon within the next generation or so, even if it is 'only' at microbe level. That in itself would be a source of wonder and I think that it would not confound the majority of the human race to the extent some people think it would.

top topics

join