It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

"He was an atheist"...

page: 5
2
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by Condemned0625
 

Another way to put it is you reap what you sow, and what you sow and reap begins with a thought.

Right thinking, right being, right action, is the right path. Anything else amounts, not to holiness, but assholiness..


There is no such thing as a universal "right". I'm not going to keep explaining this over and over. Everyone has their own perception of what is right to them, some of them claiming that what they think is right is a universal law, which is not true.




posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625
 

Sorry, but murder is wrong and cannot be justified by mere anger. It's a violation of the law of life on the basis that we all share the same ground of being. You're ill informed, and although you think you're right, you're wrong.


edit on 11-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: bold added for emphasis and clarity.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
It is depressing that a post can say

"All evidence points to the fact that the assailant from this weekend was severely mentally disturbed. His belief system was not rational by any modern political standard. He was an atheist" - [and so by inference it is because he is an atheist, he is deranged etc.]

Atheism has no connection with depression or modern politics. Look at your city census and see how many people are atheists? That percentage will include Lawyers, nurses, indeed the only job that will not be covered are vicars. and nuns!"

Atheism is so misunderstood on these boards, you still need a set of principles to live your life [Plato spelt the purpose of ethics well before Christ was born]. You can still enjoy life as an atheist [I believe that the main reason people don't enjoy life as they used to - is actually NOT religious in nature at all but - we don't have so much infant mortality -so we don't appreciate death or rather our own mortality as we used to.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by Condemned0625
 

Sorry, but murder is wrong and cannot be justified by mere anger. It's a violation of the law of life on the basis that we all share the same ground of being. You're ill informed, and although you think you're right, you're wrong.


What a hypocritical statement. You've just indirectly admitted that you think you're right and then you accused me of being wrong without any justification. There is no "law of life". Life is life and there is no law about it. What a bunch of ridiculous nonsense.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625
 

If you don't think life is framed and upheld by law or universal principals of truth and justice, then you're operating in a dreamworld of isolate consciousness without any frame of reference whatsoever, and one which is not even based in reality. In your worldview, and I'm very familiar with it, there is no truth and all things are persmissible, without any standard, framed by nothing but a complete moral reletavism. That's separation, chaos, anarchy, and pure selfishness rooted only in a self interest, whereby "do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law". It's satanic, and at enmity with the spirit of life and love, and it's absurd, baseless, without any foundation. Nothing can be built on it for the sake of mutuality, and what is in everyone's best interest. It's a very low order of being and of thinking, and a terrible philosophy to subscribe to, since it's not helpful or generative of a formative historical causation. There is no love in it, which is not motivated only for the self.

Let's just agree to disagree, because I'm as anti-anti-theist, as you are anti-theist, and there's no movement here either way. And btw, I've only drawn these conclusion after many years of deep evaluation and discernment, I don't just declare that I'm right, I've put it to the test, having done a lot more than read a book or two.


edit on 11-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


No, I never said there is no truth. Knowledge is truth, facts are truth. Beliefs cannot be justified as truths until they are proven. YOU are operating in a dreamworld of isolated consciousness without any frame of reference, not me. You're the one claiming that a "law of life" exists, yet you haven't proven such an assertion. Now you are presenting a bare assertion fallacy because you claim the existence of some immaterial concept without any evidence. You're no better than a fundamentalist christian, as far as I'm concerned. Go proselytize your "law of life" somewhere else among others who blindly believe such a thing without proof.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by mrvdreamknight
 


So what if he was?

Look -- I'm an atheist, and I have never attacked anyone physically, screwed around on my wife of 15 years, beat my kids, stolen money from work or a neighbor, or secretly met up with gay prostitutes while loudly denouncing the "gay lifestyle" in my personal or professional life.

I don't subscribe to the nonsense that "we are all sinners anyway, so I might as well do what I want until I get caught" mentality that is so popular among the imaginary religious in America. I don't believe that I can cry crocodile tears towards a flying Jew from outer-space if I get busted with my hand in the cookie jar. I have to be a good person, because I believe being a good person is the right thing to do, and not because I think that I might get "punished," after I am dead.

Your implication was clear. It was also completely ignorant.


See?

That's my point exactly.

Atheists rip theists.

While at the same time try to prove they are superior.

And I point out one simple fact proving atheists can and do do bad things and I get attacked? lol


How wonderfully judgmental of you. I'm an Atheist. I've never ripped anyone for their beliefs. I've never claimed to be superior to anyone. If anything I've often envied theists their faith. I can't make that leap, and I'd imagine that it gives those that have it a feeling of fulfillment that I just don't possess. I'm of the personal opinion that so long as your beliefs cause no harm to another, then good for you. I do take exception to being treated as though I am somehow less good, or noble for not sharing the particular beliefs of another. But, I do that on an individual basis when it is presented to me, not against a group or particular faith in total.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taliesien333

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by mrvdreamknight
 


So what if he was?

Look -- I'm an atheist, and I have never attacked anyone physically, screwed around on my wife of 15 years, beat my kids, stolen money from work or a neighbor, or secretly met up with gay prostitutes while loudly denouncing the "gay lifestyle" in my personal or professional life.

I don't subscribe to the nonsense that "we are all sinners anyway, so I might as well do what I want until I get caught" mentality that is so popular among the imaginary religious in America. I don't believe that I can cry crocodile tears towards a flying Jew from outer-space if I get busted with my hand in the cookie jar. I have to be a good person, because I believe being a good person is the right thing to do, and not because I think that I might get "punished," after I am dead.

Your implication was clear. It was also completely ignorant.


See?

That's my point exactly.

Atheists rip theists.

While at the same time try to prove they are superior.

And I point out one simple fact proving atheists can and do do bad things and I get attacked? lol


How wonderfully judgmental of you. I'm an Atheist. I've never ripped anyone for their beliefs. I've never claimed to be superior to anyone. If anything I've often envied theists their faith. I can't make that leap, and I'd imagine that it gives those that have it a feeling of fulfillment that I just don't possess. I'm of the personal opinion that so long as your beliefs cause no harm to another, then good for you. I do take exception to being treated as though I am somehow less good, or noble for not sharing the particular beliefs of another. But, I do that on an individual basis when it is presented to me, not against a group or particular faith in total.


Good points.

I should of held my comments to this one idividual member.

I apologize.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Erad3 responded to one of my threads which was about atheism. His post was as nonsensical as any other but it was easy to discern that he had a problem with atheism/atheists. He surely didn't seem one to me.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight
Silly me. I thought quoting a national expert who has a national radio and TV show would provide the proof you are requesting.

Glenn Beck wrote the letter, not me.

So if you have a problem with his vetting process let him know.


Glenn Beck. . is a "National Expert". . . on Atheism?!?


Did I just hear you right?

Where was he presented these unique credentials?

Perhaps it was one of those online classes: "Expert Level Atheism 101."


You sound really ridiculous right now. Just sayin'.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mrvdreamknight
 


Apology readily accepted, and appreciated.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
SO....once again the absence of God causes people to loose their minds and their souls, thus going on mass killing sprees etc, etc, etc...I'm sorry, but history points to the fact that fanatical religious zealots are just as unhinged as the rest of us. I don't think I need to mention the Crusades, or the Spanish Inquisiton, or the current world views on Islam...oh wait, I just did.

Perhaps this man had his own reasons for what he did. Not that I defend what he did in the least...I believe that violence simply leads to more violence, and solves nothing except a primal, animilistic urge. But this man's theological and philosophical views on the world and life in general did not drive him to commit this act. And, if they did, that does not mean that anybody who shares views even remotely connected to his should be thrown under the same bus. People are totaly and completely unique...this is the same sterotypical bull# that we hear constantly. We don't look at the individual...we simply lump people into one catagorey or another, and then prejudge them based on what we know about that specific group of people.

Religon is going the way of the dinosaur, in my opinion. Anybody who claims atheism Jared Loughner to commit the crimes he did are simply trying to turn this tragedy to their advantage and convert people back to the church. Which, by the way, is just as bad as profiting from the lives lost in Arizona that day...an single human being killed those people, and to lump atheists together with him is, quite frankly, ignorant. People should be judged by their actions, not their beliefs.


GtkP



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight
Silly me. I thought quoting a national expert who has a national radio and TV show would provide the proof you are requesting.

Glenn Beck wrote the letter, not me.

So if you have a problem with his vetting process let him know.


Glenn Beck. . is a "National Expert". . . on Atheism?!?


Did I just hear you right?

Where was he presented these unique credentials?

Perhaps it was one of those online classes: "Expert Level Atheism 101."


You sound really ridiculous right now. Just sayin'.


Nope, you are definitely not hearing me right.

If you would have actually read the posts in this thread you would have seen that I believe that his staff would have vetted the idea the assmunch was an atheist better than I could on line.

Guess who's looking ridiculous now?



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight
Silly me. I thought quoting a national expert who has a national radio and TV show would provide the proof you are requesting.

Glenn Beck wrote the letter, not me.

So if you have a problem with his vetting process let him know.


Glenn Beck. . is a "National Expert". . . on Atheism?!?


Did I just hear you right?

Where was he presented these unique credentials?

Perhaps it was one of those online classes: "Expert Level Atheism 101."


You sound really ridiculous right now. Just sayin'.


Nope, you are definitely not hearing me right.

If you would have actually read the posts in this thread you would have seen that I believe that his staff would have vetted the idea the assmunch was an atheist better than I could on line.

Guess who's looking ridiculous now?


So, his script writers are experts on Atheism?

How do you know this?

You must know a few of them personally or professionally?

Or are you just spewing forth assumptions?

My point still stands. And no, you called Beck the "Expert."



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
So, his script writers are experts on Atheism?

How do you know this?

You must know a few of them personally or professionally?

Or are you just spewing forth assumptions?

My point still stands. And no, you called Beck the "Expert."


"So, his script writers are experts on Atheism?"
How the heck do I know? But I guarantee you that they know their jobs and do their jobs when it comes down to doing a background check on a key newsmaker.

Why in the world would they need to be experts in atheism? All they need to do is do a complete back ground check.

"How do you know this?"
I don't know this. It isn't even relevant. All they need to do is check someones background.

"You must know a few of them personally or professionally?"
What? wtf are you talking about. Why would I need to know a few of them personally to know their job is to check the backgrounds on newsmakers?

"Or are you just spewing forth assumptions?"
Assumptions about people doing their jobs? Do you think that newspaper articles don't check their stories before they are printed? And you don't think Glenn Beck has his staff check his stories? You're the only spewing things here and I'm guessing it reaks of alcohol because you are not making any sense at all.

"My point still stands. And no, you called Beck the "Expert.""

Ummm...no....no I did not call him "the expert". I called him "a national expert".
I never said he was an expert in atheism. And if somehow you think that you are more of an expert than he is than you are more dillusional than I thought.






posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
ATS' slogan "Deny Ignorance"

this thread = utterly ignorant!




posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mrvdreamknight
 




national expert
? Glenn Beck?


As for Beck's staff vetting the information, he has admitted he does not fact-check.




posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dantanna
 


Ahh, so this is why you made that silly thread yesterday. This is in the media, not because of him allegedly having a Jewish mother, but because he tried to kill a politician. That always makes the news.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Oh I think because there was a picture of an alter with a skull and crossbones.

It automatically makes him an Atheist . . .





edit on 11-1-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
**duplicate information, Albatross beat me to the video**

edit on 1/11/2011 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

log in

join