It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"He was an atheist"...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I have no beliefs. I either know or I don't know, which is one of the basics of honesty.

I reject the belief in karma due to the lack of evidence for its existence.
edit on 1/11/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

This is the stupidist thing I have ever read in my life anywhere:

"I have no beliefs."

Honest to God I am not trying to be mean. Or name call. But come on. Did you really mean that?

Please say you did not that.
edit on 11-1-2011 by mrvdreamknight because: (no reason given)

Yes, I meant it. How can I be more clear? I either know something or I don't know it, that's it. I have neither belief nor faith. Why does that sound stupid to you? It it because you can't handle the fact that knowledge has more evidential support than beliefs? Give me some details.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LibertyLover
reply to post by mrvdreamknight

Glenn Beck is not a national expert on anything, except perhaps crying and shilling for a rip-off gold investment service. He is an entertainer, a poor one, but an entertainer nonetheless. That's why he has a tv show. No other reason. Don't try to pass off Glenn Beck's comments on anybody as some sort of expert knowledge.

As for atheism, it is a recognized philosophical path and has nothing to do with one's mental stability or lack thereof. Indeed, most of the atheists I know are firmly grounded in reality and working to make the world a better place to live now, not some "pie in the sky when I die by and by" future.

Glenn Beck may or may not be some kind of expert, but he does have a staff that verifies his info before he uses it. I trust his staff way more than any of these internet sites - so I believe this killing turd was an atheist.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

World of Warcraft has a huge audience too, but no one expects it to do anything spectacular to help save the republic. That's because it is entertainment, just like Beck. Anyone who expects the entertainment to lead us to a new golden age is more delusional then this shooter.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

reply to post by NewAgeMan

I have no beliefs. I either know or I don't know, which is one of the basics of honesty.

I reject the belief in karma due to the lack of evidence for its existence.
edit on 1/11/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

This is the stupidist thing I have ever read in my life anywhere:

"I have no beliefs."

Honest to God I am not trying to be mean. Or name call. But come on. Did you really mean that?

Please say you did not that.
edit on 11-1-2011 by mrvdreamknight because: (no reason given)

Yes, I meant it. How can I be more clear? I either know something or I don't know it, that's it. I have neither belief nor faith. Why does that sound stupid to you? It it because you can't handle the fact that knowledge has more evidential support than beliefs? Give me some details.

Do even understand what you are saying?

Your entire existence is made up of your beliefs.

Here's the definition of belief:

"Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true."

Here's a basic example. You believe your name is joe smith (or whatever it is). But what if your momma tells you on your 18th birthday that you're really adopted and that your name is mike johnson. Your belief in your very own name is destroyed.

You really need to read Anthony Robbins books - Awaken the Giant Within or Unlimited Power or read any of the NLP books out there.

You must be confusing what a belief is.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlovenlyGhost

This is getting rediculous!

You're actually saying the cause of his insanity is because he was an atheist?Really?
edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

No. I am not saying that at all.

I am saying this asskilling turd is an atheist.

Who really knows why he did what he did - I'm sure he had some serious mental issues.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

All evidence points to the fact that the assailant from this weekend was severely mentally disturbed. His belief system was not rational by any modern political standard. He was an atheist...

There's two problems with these statements:

1. What evidence? How can you prove that the assailant is mentally disturbed? Maybe he was just pissed off. Everyone gets mad at times throughout their lives. There is no such thing as an "official" state of mind that is "normal".

2. Atheism is NOT a belief system. Atheism is the lack of belief in god(s) and the rejection of religious claims due to the enormous lack of evidence.

This guy seems to be trying to make atheism look bad, just because some guy got pissed off and decided to blow some woman's brains out for whatever reason he had.

I beg to differ. Atheists are often evangelical.

THe shooter was also right handed.what does that have to do with his crime? Ditto the fact that he did not do glasses..When is the speculation going to stop?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
His religious affiliation or lack thereof probably has very little to do with his crimes. I would say that his obvious mental disturbance has more to do with his murdering people than anything. There are naturally going to be nutjobs on all sides of the aisle, whether they are liberal or conservative, atheist or theist, young or old, straight or gay, or anything in between.

Thank you for restating my point.

Obviously I'm not doing a very good job at it.

And you have done a much better job at explaining it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Karma is only rational and logical. It is based on the idea of cause and effect, where thoughts and actions are at cause. It's pretty straightforward, and cannot be denied by a rational mind.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

So what if he was?

Look -- I'm an atheist, and I have never attacked anyone physically, screwed around on my wife of 15 years, beat my kids, stolen money from work or a neighbor, or secretly met up with gay prostitutes while loudly denouncing the "gay lifestyle" in my personal or professional life.

I don't subscribe to the nonsense that "we are all sinners anyway, so I might as well do what I want until I get caught" mentality that is so popular among the imaginary religious in America. I don't believe that I can cry crocodile tears towards a flying Jew from outer-space if I get busted with my hand in the cookie jar. I have to be a good person, because I believe being a good person is the right thing to do, and not because I think that I might get "punished," after I am dead.

Your implication was clear. It was also completely ignorant.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Do even understand what you are saying?

Yes, I do. The dictionary is a great resource.

Your entire existence is made up of your beliefs.

Not mine. You're not me, so you couldn't possibly know.

Here's the definition of belief:

"Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true."

Yes, an individual who thinks something is true before it is proven. Here's another definition: Belief - confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof

Here's a basic example. You believe your name is joe smith (or whatever it is). But what if your momma tells you on your 18th birthday that you're really adopted and that your name is mike johnson. Your belief in your very own name is destroyed.

Arguing from analogy now? I know my name because it's on my damn records. In fact, I have all of my identification nearby. Should I go check it to make sure I'm not being deceived by my mother's diabolical plan? Terrible analogy, by the way.

You really need to read Anthony Robbins books - Awaken the Giant Within or Unlimited Power or read any of the NLP books out there.

Are these based on beliefs? If so, I'm not interested.

You must be confusing what a belief is.

I just gave you another definition.

edit on 1/11/2011 by Condemned0625 because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Karma is only rational and logical. It is based on the idea of cause and effect, where thoughts and actions are at cause. It's pretty straightforward, and cannot be denied by a rational mind.

Only rational and logical? Prove it. I do recall karma being the invention of ancient India, as stated in its history. Karma is a concept, not a fact.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
How do you know that Glenn Beck has a staff that checks his facts? If anything, this current tragedy has shown us that the media doesn't really do that great a job at fact checking. There were posts that the Congresswoman was dead. We've been told that this troubled young man was every political affiliation known to man. Apparently we are now adding religions to that as well. The only one who knows what JLL believes is JLL. All the rest is just supposition and hearsay at this point. And until he comes out and tells his motivations for the unspeakable act he performed maybe we could quit trying to guess at it.. I for one am tired of climbing around in the head of a depraved child killer. I hope the rest of ATS gets tired of it soon too.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Silly me. I thought quoting a national expert who has a national radio and TV show would provide the proof you are requesting.

Glenn Beck wrote the letter, not me.

So if you have a problem with his vetting process let him know.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whao whoa!
National expert?????
What the hell is Glenn Beck and expert on??

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Another way to put it is you reap what you sow, and what you sow and reap begins with a thought.

Right thinking, right being, right action, is the right path. Anything else amounts, not to holiness, but assholiness..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

So what's being an atheist got to do with it?What does his religious views have to do with anything he did?

Enlighten me please

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Not realizing you are made up of your beliefs is beyond insane.

Do you realize that your belief in non-beliefs is a BELIEF?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlovenlyGhost

So what's being an atheist got to do with it?What does his religious views have to do with anything he did?

Enlighten me please

I've already answered this three times but here it goes again:

"Believers and nonbelievers are all capable of horrendous crimes.

Atheists always imply directly or indirectly that they are rational and do not commit such crimes.

Obviously, that's utter nonsense but that's the bs they always spew. "

How about you actually read the thread before you ask a question?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

So what if he was?

Look -- I'm an atheist, and I have never attacked anyone physically, screwed around on my wife of 15 years, beat my kids, stolen money from work or a neighbor, or secretly met up with gay prostitutes while loudly denouncing the "gay lifestyle" in my personal or professional life.

I don't subscribe to the nonsense that "we are all sinners anyway, so I might as well do what I want until I get caught" mentality that is so popular among the imaginary religious in America. I don't believe that I can cry crocodile tears towards a flying Jew from outer-space if I get busted with my hand in the cookie jar. I have to be a good person, because I believe being a good person is the right thing to do, and not because I think that I might get "punished," after I am dead.

Your implication was clear. It was also completely ignorant.

See?

That's my point exactly.

Atheists rip theists.

While at the same time try to prove they are superior.

And I point out one simple fact proving atheists can and do do bad things and I get attacked? lol

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Glenn beck is not rational. The man likes to laugh about america torturing people. How can he be a christian?

Glenn beck would laugh his socks off if america tortured you for nothing.

Amazing how a con man talks about people like this. How is glenn beck a christian?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Glenn beck is not rational. The man likes to laugh about america torturing people. How can he be a christian?

Glenn beck would laugh his socks off if america tortured you for nothing.

Amazing how a con man talks about people like this. How is glenn beck a christian?

Did I say he was a Christian?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join