It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'One Poor Harvest Away From Chaos'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

That's great if you have a garden. Unfortunately for quite a few city dwellers that is not an option. There is only so much you can grow on a window ledge.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I suspect the third-world cities, esp Asia and middle Europe, will be first and worst hit by food shortages. think of how much has to be trucked/trained in some of those mega-cities.

prophecy in the Bible; "Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, 'A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!'" Rev 6:6

gist of it is that basic foodstuffs will be barely affordable and forget about treats.

interestingly I can think of two works of fiction (the sci fi novel "Footfall" and the graphic novel "Kingdom Come") have Kansas nuked, resulting in famine.

edit on 11-1-2011 by works4dhs because: add note

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
If you want to see human beings at their worst, if you want to see the savage side that is in all of us, then just wait until we run out of food. People will do anything when they are hungry and cannibalism is one of those things. It can take up to 28 days for a human being to die without a single bite of food and that is probably the most cruel death of them all. Take food out of the equation and we regress a few thousand years, right back to the stone age.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I don't know how much food the US exports to China, but if they are in a shortage, then I say that the US should charge them $1,000 a pound for it. They got rare earth metals, we've got food. They manipulate the market, so can we.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

You should check this out:Square Foot Gardening

Anyone with limited space and gardening knowledge would benefit greatly from checking this and other sites like this. it is very easy to grow a lot of produce in containers and small plots. It's easier to tend, also.

We have three regular large scale gardens, two large raised beds and innumerable pots and containers with veggies in them. Less weeding, less watering, GOOD FOOD!!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I work in a fast food restaurant. A couple of months ago a car hit a power pole on a Sunday morning, around 10:30 am. Electric company had to replace the pole to reseat the transformer, so power was out for the entire town for about 2 1/2 hours. Writing everything down and using calculators, my store was able to stay open for about 25 minutes before food temperatures dropped too low, then we had to close.
People got up and realized the power was out and headed out to buy food for their kids and families. When they pulled onto our lot and realized we were closed, people got hostile. Really hostile. The mothers were the worst. I was screamed at. I was called a lazy piece of sh*t. I was told I should be fired, repeatedly yelled at and screamed at. Hey... I'm just the drive-thru chick, and they only needed to drive 15 minutes to the next town for the same food and service.
This was just a few hours without the convenience of fast food drive-thru service. People got ugly, hostile and borderline violent. This tells me that when people get REALLY hungry, even the most revered members of society are going to get really mean, really fast.
I have a couple of months of stockpiled, non-perishable foods. I have have heirloom seeds. I have simple, effective water purifiers. Based on that experience, I will probably have to protect my resources at gunpoint if TS really hits the fan. Sad, I wouldn't turn anyone away if they ask for help, and I'll certainly need all the help I can get with farming and production. But most won't want to contribute, they'll just want to take.
AliWV

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
The preparations that should be made are not those for survival of the flesh, but those for the survival of the spirit.

The state of the world will continue to worsen as Yahweh, our God and Creator pours out His wrath upon mankind leading up to Armageddon. It is His will that you all know exactly where it is coming from.

Matthew 10:34 "Don't assume that I came to bring peace on the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Exodus 15:3 "The LORD is a warrior; Yahweh is His name."

"There will be no peace on Earth until My Son's Kingdom. I will crush every kingdom now standing and rock the earth off its foundation. I Yahweh will destroy every enemy to My throne, and who can stop Me? Who can turn back My anger? No one." - Yahweh

These are your beliefs and you are quite entitled to them but I for one do not beleive God would punish us - we do that ourselves and have plenty cycles of life to do it in - God can wait for ever. The problems we are having are MAN MADE and we are now suffering the consequences. I believed God loves us all very much but any Father knows that children have to learn the consequences of their own actions He will allow them to make their own mistakes because that is the only way to learn. If He does interseed on behalf of mankind is will be through His Mercy and Love for us.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Next time you are in the Supermarket for everything you reach out for 'think' How would I store and cook this without electricity - imagine we have none. I do this regular and it helps me to buy the things that I could manage on and also purchase the things I would need to go with them ie., how would you make plain food taste better.
Through thinking like this in the Supermarket, I've purchase many things like candles, matches, dried food, stock cubes, spices, jars etc etc and don't forget the tin opener lol. They're all in my survival cupboard along with water, sterilizing tablets and I could go on.
Next time you are grocery shopping try thinking like this and start stocking up.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

At one time, our nations had 10-20 years of staple foods stock-piled in physical 'food reserves' - NOT pretend food in 'futures trading.' Then about 20 years ago, our nations stopped stock-piling physical food reserves. "Free Trade" policies said that the predictable shortages, called "supply shocks," should be handled by international trade aka global corporations.

Growing government interest and support for food reserves has been evident in various international forums of late. At the same time, policymakers have been slow to act, reluctant to move away from twenty or more years of economic orthodoxy that has insisted supply shocks are best resolved through international trade alone. Many governments are exploring new ways to develop stronger and more resilient local, regional and national food systems. Food reserves can be a critical component of those reforms.

Food reserves are an ancient idea, a sensible response to the fact that although the demand for food is constant, the supply can vary wildly depending on weather, markets and other factors. The recent food price crisis led to a resurgence of interest in food reserves as a tool to stabilize prices and supplies.

All in all, looks like a depopulation strategy come to fruition. Calente's predictions are solid, imho.

An American Think-tank is predicting food riots in the US by 2012:

Celente says that by 2012 America will become an undeveloped nation, that there will be a revolution marked by food riots, squatter rebellions, tax revolts and job marches, and that holidays will be more about obtaining food, not gifts.

"We're going to see the end of the retail Christmas....we're going to see a fundamental shift take place....putting food on the table is going to be more important that putting gifts under the Christmas tree," said Celente, adding that the situation would be "worse than the great depression".

"America's going to go through a transition the likes of which no one is prepared for," said Celente, noting that people's refusal to acknowledge that America was even in a recession highlights how big a problem denial is in being ready for the true scale of the crisis.

FYI - Calente's record is solid too.

Celente, who successfully predicted the 1997 Asian Currency Crisis, the subprime mortgage collapse and the massive devaluation of the U.S. dollar, told UPI in November last year that the following year would be known as "The Panic of 2008," adding that "giants (would) tumble to their deaths," which is exactly what we have witnessed with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns and others. He also said that the dollar would eventually be devalued by as much as 90 per cent.

The consequence of what we have seen unfold this year would lead to a lowering in living standards, Celente predicted a year ago, which is also being borne out by plummeting retail sales figures.

On ATS: U.S. Food Reserves 'Tapped Out'

“According to the May 1, 2008 CCC inventory report there are o nly 24.1 million bushels of wheat in inventory, so after this sale there will be o nly 2.7 million bushels of wheat left the entire CCC inventory, …[urlcryptogon.com...]the U.S. has nothing else in our emergency food pantry. There is no cheese, no butter, no dry milk powder, no grains or anything else left in reserve.[/url] The only thing left in the entire CCC inventory will be 2.7 million bushels of wheat which is about enough wheat to make ½ of a loaf of bread for each of the 300 million people in America.”

...Not sure any of this has been posted - read the thread earlier, did a bit of research, got distracted, lost the thread!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It is my observation over the last two years, that food prices have risen in a fairly dramatic fashion already!
As a person on limited pension it becomes more obvious that the prices are rising, because you have no means of augmenting the shortfall when they do....
For the past many years i have tried to keep within a rough food budget of 7$ per day.
This is getting next to laughable, but i have the habit, and keep trying to stay below my average which i can afford.
The fact is, slowly one by one ive had to drop my choices of groceries to cheaper and coarser foods.
Beef, other than burger is no longer even an option unless i save credits from previous days budget.
Many other proteins i have taken to consuming in ever smaller quantities.
The idea of a grarden is a very good one for people who have a place to do so.
Many of us dont even have a place to store food.much less garden.
Theres just so many people in our society,who live marginally, that there will be great need regrdlessof all that is done by others with the resources and smarts to do it.
I see a great die off comming no matter how you cut the cards.
The baby boomers will all be retiring, and theres no resources to support these people, when shtf well be digging a lot of graves no matter....
Best we try to turn the goverment back into the servant of the people it once was.....
We need to destroy the corporate monopolies and return to smaller expectations.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

" If you've got a Plan B,now might be the time to start putting it into action."(quote)

That's a good idea.. The stocking up on seeds, Maybe, if you have the land or space, raising your own meat..

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Just to add to your post, even apt. dwellers could turn a room into a grow room with limited space and grow lamps.... Just saying...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wiseupall

If chickens are not your "cup of tea" try geese(dual) fertilizer and food, cows(dual) fertilizer and food, rabbits(dual) both fertilizer and food, pig manure(also dual)fertilizer and food, etc....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by christian39

Yes but not to feed a family of four. Just sayin'

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by questcequecest
we dont even need food to live. just water

Just keep on fracking. I hear they're offering real money, and jobs, to poison your local water tables.

FRACK IT! FRACK IT REAL GOOD!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join