It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

'One Poor Harvest Away From Chaos'

page: 3
33
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
 


I am afraid that too many people just can't wake up enough to hear messages like this. I think they are all hypnotized and completely apathetic at this stage.



We are ready here, if the worst happens. Our gardens are ready for planting potatoes and the like in a few weeks, and the greens, onions, broccoli, beets and cabbage are holding up against the frost.




posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
 


I am afraid that too many people just can't wake up enough to hear messages like this. I think they are all hypnotized and completely apathetic at this stage.



We are ready here, if the worst happens. Our gardens are ready for planting potatoes and the like in a few weeks, and the greens, onions, broccoli, beets and cabbage are holding up against the frost.


Great to hear it! Just try to keep your gardens out of view and prevent easy access to discourage thieves.


edit on 11-1-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

edit on 11-1-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
 


Well, we really can't do that yet. We have cows on a lot of the acreage, so our gardens are mainly in the front(all but one) outside of the pastures. I hope to be able to fence off some smaller plots out back, out of sight. We will not be the only ones with visible gardens, as we live in a rural farm community.

Our plan so far is to try to keep it low-key and unobtrusive, and if there are hungry folks, they'll have to work to eat. We have plenty of ground for growing groceries, just need more hands to work it!



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by squandered
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
 


Thanks for the thread.

Of course we know the population is expanding exponentially.
Climate change is bringing extreme weather.
Crops will fail. Poor countries will keep starving but more organised countries will sure up their future any way that they can.

Crops will fail. Brazil, America, Australia (at the very least sugar prices will go up now), Russia, Canada and Europe etc. It's impossible to say that 2-3 won't have a bad year. There's not much food left in the sea. The pollution and temperature changes in the ocean is already dire.

Many island state near Australia will have to abandon soon.

The frightening aspect to me as I watch this all play out, is the decisive way a countries population can plan an invasion, (shouting you're racist at everyone). It's so damn short sighted and destructive. I can't imagine how desperate people already are... Now times that x 10 - that's the future!

I've long since felt this is where the world must be headed.


Good points you make - but unfortunately until it hits peoples bellys' it won't be seen as a problem. That is soooo sad!



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wiseupall
 


You know, I have to think people are more intelligent than they let on. My understanding isn't that people aren't registering the potential for disaster, but they happy in the knowledge that it isn't going to be them. Half of which enjoy the fact that others are going to beg for support.

I have no fears. My dads 8000 acre is totally green in the middle of summer. I still care though.

(Rant) Actually I'm more angry at the greed that caused this and stupidity therein then an feelings of compassion. I hate the fact that those that deserve help go begging, but the divisive, hateful types play the system and rob everyone...Arghhh, Japanese - "there 20 'X' whales left, quick let's get them before anyone else can"(Rant over)



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wiseupall

Originally posted by squandered
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
 


Thanks for the thread.

Of course we know the population is expanding exponentially.
Climate change is bringing extreme weather.
Crops will fail. Poor countries will keep starving but more organised countries will sure up their future any way that they can.

Crops will fail. Brazil, America, Australia (at the very least sugar prices will go up now), Russia, Canada and Europe etc. It's impossible to say that 2-3 won't have a bad year. There's not much food left in the sea. The pollution and temperature changes in the ocean is already dire.

Many island state near Australia will have to abandon soon.

The frightening aspect to me as I watch this all play out, is the decisive way a countries population can plan an invasion, (shouting you're racist at everyone). It's so damn short sighted and destructive. I can't imagine how desperate people already are... Now times that x 10 - that's the future!

I've long since felt this is where the world must be headed.


Good points you make - but unfortunately until it hits peoples bellys' it won't be seen as a problem. That is soooo sad!


You said it! That's exactly why the message isn't getting across soon enough. As long you can walk down the street and buy a tasty, gut-stuffing meal for $8 from half a dozen fast-food joints and get it in 2 minutes flat,people just aren’t going to give it much attention.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan
 


Absolutely, I was watching a show months ago that talked about a family being able to feed them selves off of 1/2 acre of potatoes and one dairy cow.

A cow may be a bit much, but goats and sheep will also provide milk (and I like Feta so double bonus).

Concerning the seeds, it is the one thing that I have pressured friends of mine to purchase.

Some have listened, others...well what can you say? A friend of mines wife actually tried to tell me that there was no point because of the seed vault; she wasn't impressed when I asked her how long she figured it would take her to swim across the Atlantic to get to them.

If there was any advice a person should take from this entire thread...

Buy seeds.

Learn how to tend plants



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]
 


I agree with you completely, I do reenactment stuff for 8 days every June. About 30 people show up every evening at our camp just in time for supper-conveniently. One night I asked why, they said we eat better than anyone at the event. Why? we taught ourselves to cook over an open wood fire, we built a portable mud oven for bread, we havrvest local herbs etc. to cook with, and we CAN build a fire without matches. Even though that little event of 2000 people isnt the world it gives you a scaled down idea of what would happen if things did go south. Those who were hungry would be vicious in thier pursuit of food, and those who couldnt get it would soon starve.
R.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
 


Then it would be a good idea to start planning your graden.

Tomates. Easy
Cucumbers. easy
Lettuce easy. Leafy type grows faster. Heads take longer to mature.
Egg plant. Easy.
Zuchinni easy
summer squash easy
beets easy
corn easy.

Now all you need is a source of protien.
Deer meat.
Moose meat
rabbit/ not perferred due to diseases
Canadian geese
wild turkey.
Fish
snails
crabs

Become more self suffient.

When the # does hit the fan at least you can feed your self and your family.

In summer and fall I have no need to buy anything other that milk and bread and some meats by choice but I could get my own meats if required to do so.

Stay alert stay alive.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Questcequest... You said we only need water to survive.

And beer. Water and beer. I live on a Lake and have the keys to my friends Brew Pub up the street.

Hey,It's a start.

(I have dry food stashed,but I'm not telling anybody.)



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rossa
 


A couple of years ago a buddy of mine and I helped a friend clear some land at her cottage. When we were done for the day we went down to the shore and cooked supper over an open fire.

She was blown away with the meal we were able to put together using no pots or pans, just an oven rack and a well built cook fire.

"I couldn't cook a meal like this on a stove"

Want to really blow someone away? Boil water in a paper bag...most people can't wrap thier head around that.
edit on 11-1-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think the uk would inplode with food shortages, alot of people over seem to struggle with anything more complicated than a microwave :p

It worries me alot though as I can only just afford to eat at the moment as it is.


I think it may be time for me to start thinking about making myself a bow and arrow for hunting.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
 


Then it would be a good idea to start planning your graden.

Tomates. Easy
Cucumbers. easy
Lettuce easy. Leafy type grows faster. Heads take longer to mature.
Egg plant. Easy.
Zuchinni easy
summer squash easy
beets easy
corn easy.

Now all you need is a source of protien.
Deer meat.
Moose meat
rabbit/ not perferred due to diseases
Canadian geese
wild turkey.
Fish
snails
crabs

Become more self suffient.

When the # does hit the fan at least you can feed your self and your family.

In summer and fall I have no need to buy anything other that milk and bread and some meats by choice but I could get my own meats if required to do so.

Stay alert stay alive.


I am looking more towards things that i can put in my freezer. Of course, i am presuming to have electricity. Otherwise, it could suck pretty bad.

but i am not a survivalist. I am just wanting to hedge against rising food costs. Reclaim some of my income while improving my health. Win-win situation, the I see it.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Yes - global famine is top on my doom list. With the weather we've been having, it will start within the next few months with skyrocketing prices. It won't affect us much out here in the sticks (most of us are fairly well-prepared and active in our churches), but the cities will be crazy.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan
 


Look into canning/preserves.

Although they may have long since fallen out of favour, the humble Mason Jar is a wonderful product.

No fridge needed, just a hole in the ground to keep things coolish. The advantage here too is that you can preserve/pickle meats as well.

ETA...

One thing I'd advise people to look into is sauerkraut. It is stunningly simple to make (cabbage, water, salt and a bucket for the basic kind...more spices/wine can be added depending on personal taste) and it is an excellent source of Vitamin C.

There are also compounds that benefit the bowels promoting general good health.

edit on 11-1-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan
 


I agee. Well the cukes can be pickled and stored for like ever ..He he he.

I do the same try to lower my costs. Nothing like fresh garden veggies. Broccoli is my favorite made fesh in the garden. you have a great growing season you should be all over that sh_t.

good luck lone star..
God bless



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
 


Well, we really can't do that yet. We have cows on a lot of the acreage, so our gardens are mainly in the front(all but one) outside of the pastures. I hope to be able to fence off some smaller plots out back, out of sight. We will not be the only ones with visible gardens, as we live in a rural farm community.

Our plan so far is to try to keep it low-key and unobtrusive, and if there are hungry folks, they'll have to work to eat. We have plenty of ground for growing groceries, just need more hands to work it!


This here. Cant stress the importance of community farming and personal vegetable gardens enough.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm planting potatoes this year. I'm going to plant enough to last six families all through the winter and spring. I'm going to plant enough corn for everybody through the summer. That's it basically, just corn and potatoes. I have a lot of freeze dried stuff too. And in case the water supply goes, about thirty gallons of stored water, have to get a water purifier. I've got a feeling it's going to be a cool summer in North America this year. The Gulf Stream shut down back in June. That's why it got colder in Europe. It affected the jet stream as well, I think that's why it snowed in Atlanta. We may not have a good harvest this year if it stays cold through the summer. Hopefully in spring, we'll go back to normal weather patterns.



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The preparations that should be made are not those for survival of the flesh, but those for the survival of the spirit.

The state of the world will continue to worsen as Yahweh, our God and Creator pours out His wrath upon mankind leading up to Armageddon. It is His will that you all know exactly where it is coming from.

Matthew 10:34 "Don't assume that I came to bring peace on the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Exodus 15:3 "The LORD is a warrior; Yahweh is His name."

"There will be no peace on Earth until My Son's Kingdom. I will crush every kingdom now standing and rock the earth off its foundation. I Yahweh will destroy every enemy to My throne, and who can stop Me? Who can turn back My anger? No one." - Yahweh



posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by alonzo730
 





I'm planting potatoes this year. I'm going to plant enough to last six families all through the winter and spring. I'm going to plant enough corn for everybody through the summer.


About how much land does it take to feed that many people? I grew tomatoes and peppers last year on a little old 8X8 in the yard, produce tasted great, wasn't enough for 6 families though. I have been wanting to increase the size of the garden to better supplement. Should be ok to do this year considering the freeze is happening, which means tilling shouldn't be too far off.

Also, do you grow from seeds in small pots then transfer to soil or just plant seeds in the garden soil?



new topics

top topics



 
33
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join