It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Lawmaker Urges Ban on Large Gun Clips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ignorance to the highest degree, on so many levels.

First the term "Clips" is absolutely incorrect and shows ignorance. A "clip", a shortened term for "stripper clip", is a small strip of metal used to hold a number of rounds of ammunition. The rounds are fed from the clip into the internal magazine of the firearm 5 to 10 rounds at once, to shorten reload time. The terms "clip" and "magazine" are NOT interchangeable. They are two distinctly different pieces of hardware.

Second, although this is a tragedy it shows the level of self-centeredness of our government politicians, so now they spend millions on new legislation for high capacity magazines? If a lunatic wants to buy high capacity Mags he'll do so with or without a ban.

Our country is going broke from over spending and these self-centered politicians are thinking only of themselves, prime example right here.

We're not sure about unemployment reform, healthcare reform, jobs going over seas, but let's introduce a multi-million dollar bill for high capacity magazines ASAP, and pass it.

And I am sure this will happen on many state levels now too, what a waste of tax payers money only putting us into further debt and ignoring the real issues.

Why doesn't the media do a story on how much it will take to introduce new legislation for "Knee-Jerk Gun Control", then add that to the total amount of the US deficit?

Attention to all Politicians and Media, we have 1000's upon 1000's of laws in place now, and they are not being enforced, and even if we add more laws.

Laws aren't broken by reasonable and sane people they are broken by criminals who lack reason, judgment, mental faculties, and compassion, these types of people do not care about the law.

Ban on Large Gun Clips

WASHINGTON — A US Senator announced Monday he would soon present legislation to ban high-capacity ammunition clips after a gunman used one in an attempted assassination of a US lawmaker over the weekend.

"The only reason to have 33 bullets loaded in a handgun is to kill a lot of people very quickly. These high-capacity clips simply should not be on the market," Democratic Senator Frank Lautenberg said in a statement.

Lautenberg said high-capacity ammunition "clips" holding more than 10 rounds at a time were banned under the Federal Assault Weapons Ban that the US Congress enacted in 1994 but did not renew in 2004.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This won't change anything.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
There are already states that have similar bans.
The state of NJ has a max capacity law of 10 rounds per firearm.
Any mag that accepts more than 10 rounds is deemed illegal.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

It also goes the same in California.

Except if you had the Magazines before the ban, then your okay to have them.

Sure is a strange world we live in...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

On note of OPs post.

Let them ban 31+ Round "clips"

They might as well be banning pink elephants.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste, and what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things that you didn’t think you could do before."
- Rahm Emanuel

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Not having a large capacity magazine, just means you have to reload more. I buy them for the sole reason that I dislike loading the mags to begin with. I used to work with a Park Ranger in Colorado, she could load a revolver faster than any guy with a magazine. I know not quite apples and apples, but close.

When the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 was passed it too banned hi caps, the only thing it did is raise the price of mags and those that had them prior could still keep them. The new ones were all stamped LE for Law Enforcement. The other things the ban did was raise the prices of those weapons making them out of reach for the average person. Banning hi caps is not the answer. Better procedures, having the police summoned when there is a student with mental health issues, electronic medical records to ATF for the background check.

Lone Wolves will always be out there. If some is bent on killing someone else and no one stops them before hand, they will prolly kill the intended.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Is this ban suppose to work like that ban on illegal drugs? I wonder how that ban is working out for everyone? (har! lol!).

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Lautenberg is a huge crook.Voted in time and again by the mouth-breathers in his state. Thank God we got an opposition congress of representatives in now.

top topics

join